hey im sorry if this is the wrong section but im a noob to this forum and am in need of help asap

i just bought a fender john 5 telecaster, the one with the enforcer and the twisted tele, the problem i am having is excessive noise/hum. the noise is there constantly and then gets louder when i turn the volume nobs off, irrespective of what pick up i select.

the noise then disappears when i touch any of the stings, the nobs or the metal scratchplate.

its not a problem with my leads or amp i have checked them,

can anyone help me as to how i can stop this from happeneing, i really have no idea

any help would be greatfully recieved.
Last edited by sonicst at Oct 3, 2011,
There is an earth wire going between the electronics (normally the back of a pot) and the bridge - it's broken.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Sounds like a grounding issue...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
is it an easy fix? i like like 30 miles from any decent techs and im a bit low on cash atm
You'll probably need to remove the strings and bridge. I had the exact same problem with a MIM Tele. The ground wire wasn't properly touching the bridge underneath. There was no solder, it was just a pressure contact.
Pull off the bridge and locate the wire. It will head off towards the cavity through a small hole finally being soldered to the back of a pot housing. Replace it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It's simple unless you need a soldering gun. Even then it's simple. You may not need a new wire and you may not need solder. On my tele I only needed to remove the bridge and reposition the wire.
what do you mean just reposition? sorry as i said im a total noob to this sort of thing
If your problem is the same as mine the wire is just positioned under the bridge and the bridge is screwed down on it. That's all that was making the contact, the pressure from the bridge. All I did was remove the bridge and reposition the wire so I it made contact with the metal bridge.
It was soldered at the other end though fly surely? And yes just about any wire will do. Just look at what was there and get something similar. It may have just come adrift and need resoldering. Once you pull it apart and have a look it will become obvious.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
ok so i opened it up and had a loot and there were no disconnected wires that i could see, the only strange thing was that the wiring goes from the jack to the pickup selected then to the pots, apart from that nothing unusual
Did you pull off the bridge to find the wire jammed in under that like we told you to?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
there was nothing underneath it, i tried putting a wire there and attaching it to the rear of the volume pot but it didnt seem to work
Quote by sonicst
there was nothing underneath it, i tried putting a wire there and attaching it to the rear of the volume pot but it didnt seem to work

Please take your guitar to a tech.

It's a cheap job and it will be a lt cheaper than fixing the damage you could potentially do.
Gear: Fender Custom 3 Pickup Telecaster, Fender American Std Telecaster ('10 3burst), Fender Kurt Cobain Jag, Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange Tiny Terror HW + PPC112, Marshall JCM-1H, Vox Night Train NT15H, Fender Champ 600.
as i said i live a long long way from any techs, so atm thats not really an option
I have a LP clone that had done the same thing for years, and when I rewired it I found there was no ground to the bridge. put one on and it works noise free now.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate