Page 1 of 3
I searched through the last several days' worth of threads and didn't see this so I thought I would post it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pages/fender-modern-player

What does everyone think? I'm really interested in the Marauder, but I'm unsure what kind of hard case I would need for it. I'd assume the Jazzmaster case would fit it. I really like that three-coil pickup and the switching diagram:

http://www.andertons.co.uk/News/aid1116/how-the-new-fender-modern-player-triplebucker-pickup-works.asp

I'd like to hear what kind of heavier tones that triplebucker can get.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
....Damn those are fugly.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I really like that Jag bass. I think the rest are hideous.

Fender's really been going crazy with these "alternate layout" guitars - they just released the Pawn Shop line a few months ago. These look like the MIM extension of that line. I'm glad they're injecting some new designs into their lineup, even if I'm not a fan of most of them.
Quote by W4RP1G
I'm guessing made in Mexico then?
I somewhere that it's China but I am not absolutely certain.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by Roc8995
I really like that Jag bass. I think the rest are hideous.
Not a Jazzmaster fan then? I saw the Marauder and thought it was a Jazz at first.

Fender's really been going crazy with these "alternate layout" guitars - they just released the Pawn Shop line a few months ago. These look like the MIM extension of that line. I'm glad they're injecting some new designs into their lineup, even if I'm not a fan of most of them.
Reminds me of the Blacktop series from last year or so. I really dug that Jazzmaster and have been wanting it, so it's a nice surprise to see such a similar guitar for $100 cheaper. I'm weighing the pros and cons right now.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by muso_catolico
I somewhere that it's China but I am not absolutely certain.

Not likely, Fender uses Mexico and Japan. They only use China for Squiers.
I'm diggin that Jag, nice finish but probably not something id buy(at least not at the retail price)
I can't say i'm into any of those..
I like traditional fender strat/tele layouts cause idk thats what makes a fender
I do like fat strats but other then that i dont like to go too mad.
Quote by SugarRush66
I really like the Marauder in blue, would need to hear some demoes of the Triplebucker though
For sure.

Body is Koto wood I guess? Haven't heard of that. Don't think it would make a HUGE difference.

I'd probably buy this right now if I had the cash regardless. Looks like it has a lot of sonic possibilities.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
some of those look quite nice, but i'll probably just lul when i see the uk prices...

Edit: what the flurk is koto wood?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 3, 2011,
I love that Telecaster Plus... the Marauder looks like one of the bigger gambles Fender's taken in the last 30some years, but I'd definitely give it a shot. Haven't heard of Koto wood myself, but it's probably just a cheaper wood for them to use for these.

Still... that Marauder looks like a guitar that knows how to take a fuzz, y'know? I'm hoping a local shop gets one or two.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
The UK prices aren't too bad. The Marauder sits between £330-£380 in most shops. So that's pretty much the usual 1:1 conversion ration that guitar shops fleece us for. The Thinle Deluxe is a bit worse. That is over £600 as part of the Classic Player line and I doubt it will change with the new name, since really that's all this series is, a rebranding of the Classic Player line.

The triple pickup isn't that special, Kent Armstrong do a four-rail pickup and there's a 5-coil one floating around too. But the rest of the spec on these are alright and they look nice, something a bit different. I think the Telecaster will do well, an HSS Tele is a mod I've seen lots of people do. The fact it's a pine body will help it sell too, lots of people have been buying the Classic Vibe Tele purely for the pine body.

The Jaguar's interesting one. Looks a bit funky but two P-90s in a mahogany body and a short scale neck is pretty unique and I can see that one going down well with the alternative crowd.

The only one I don't get is the 'Telecaster' bass, since those Wide Range reissue pickups have never been popular and I wouldn't trust Fender to have made them much better now, even among boutique pickup makers there's literally only about three guys actually making Wide Range pickups properly.
maybe i don't get it...is this what modern player are playing? Should i get out my flannel shirt and rock out teen spirit?
I like the marauder but I'd want to hear some sound demos of it before I'd decide it's something I want. So I take it these sit between the upper end of the Squiers and the lower end of the MiM's?
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
I quite like the HH Tele Bass. Outside of that, gimme my regular old Fenders any day.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
son of a bitch. i just got a blacktop jaguar. now i want that p90 jag. mother mary.
That marauder looks kind of nice. I'm going to have a difficult choice between that, the squier j mascis, the blacktop jazz and the blacktop strat for my next guitar.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Hmm. They all look pretty crap.

. This.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
The new Jag just isn't a Fender.

What's a Fender without a pickguard?

I've changed my mind a little bit since first viewing these (a few hours earlier...) The thinline Telecaster actually looks pretty cool. It's a new take on a classic design. I've never been a big fan of the Tele's appearance, but that massive pickguard makes it look awesome. The Marauder seems pretty interesting, too. I'm kinda surprised the did nothing with the Strat.
Quote by Butt Rayge
The new Jag just isn't a Fender.

What's a Fender without a pickguard?

I've changed my mind a little bit since first viewing these (a few hours earlier...) The thinline Telecaster actually looks pretty cool. It's a new take on a classic design. I've never been a big fan of the Tele's appearance, but that massive pickguard makes it look awesome. The Marauder seems pretty interesting, too. I'm kinda surprised the did nothing with the Strat.

http://www.fender.com/products/modernplayer/models.php?prodNo=0241202

they have one planned, but no official release.
The "Tele" bass looks nothing like a Tele... or is that just me?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Nope, not just you. Looks nothing like a tele. Nothing about it is tele shaped except the headstock.
Gibson had a hideous offspring guitar called a Marauder too , it was shaped like an LP with a Flying V headstock. Check out my thread in my sig to see what it's all about

I'm pretty interested in that Tele Plus, did anyone else notice it has a pine body? I think you'll be able to pick these up used pretty cheap in a few years, and they'll be a sweet guitar to pick up for $200. Also, I wish the Marauder had a maple fretboard. I'd be sold on it

EDIT: Looks like the Strat will have a coil tap for the bridge (HSS) and will be sporting chunky jumbo frets. I'm not a fan of the frets but.... it's coming in Olympic White
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Oct 4, 2011,
Quote by grohl1987
The UK prices aren't too bad. The Marauder sits between £330-£380 in most shops. So that's pretty much the usual 1:1 conversion ration that guitar shops fleece us for.

well, sure, but as you said, that's compared to the usual fleecing
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
God, that MP Jaguar looks like shit. That Jag Bass is cool, and I wish the Telecaster Bass was cheaper. Nothing else really stands out (in a good way, I mean, that Marauder looks pretty iffy).
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Megdidar
I like the marauder but I'd want to hear some sound demos of it before I'd decide it's something I want. So I take it these sit between the upper end of the Squiers and the lower end of the MiM's?
More like top end of the MIMs. The Classic Player line are the better MIMs and this is pretty much an extension of those.

Quote by Butt Rayge
The thinline Telecaster actually looks pretty cool. It's a new take on a classic design.
Those have actually been around for a while now.

Quote by KKeeler1
any idea what a triple bucker would sound like?
Listen to Muse, Matt Bellamy sometimes uses a four-coil pickup called a Motherbucker. This triple coil would be like that just a little bit brighter I guess.

I notice both of the Teles come in a transparent black finish which is obviously to try and make them look more like walnut and rosewood. Kinda cheap if you ask me. Fender Japan still makes walnut and rosewood Teles, I don't know why Fender America can't do one, even if it's MIM.
Last edited by grohl1987 at Oct 4, 2011,
Quote by fuzzpedal
That marauder looks kind of nice. I'm going to have a difficult choice between that, the squier j mascis, the blacktop jazz and the blacktop strat for my next guitar.

I was thinking about this kind of thing too, but pretty sure the J Mascis JM would win that contest for me, as long as it's as good as the Classic Vibe stuff. It's a great colour combo and should even be <£300 pretty soon after release
Quote by grohl1987

I notice both of the Teles come in a transparent black finish which is obviously to try and make them look more like walnut and rosewood. Kinda cheap if you ask me. Fender Japan still makes walnut and rosewood Teles, I don't know why Fender America can't do one, even if it's MIM.

.... not really, it's just transparent black. besides, ones obviously pine and the other is obviously mahogany, walnut looks quite a bit different.
The only one that looks appealing is the Telecaster Plus, but still id rather save up for an American Standard
Quote by SugarRush66
I was thinking about this kind of thing too, but pretty sure the J Mascis JM would win that contest for me, as long as it's as good as the Classic Vibe stuff. It's a great colour combo and should even be <£300 pretty soon after release

That's probably the one I want most but it doesn't really seem that practical to me since I already have a guitar with two single coils and I want my next guitar to have a warmer less twangy sound for ska and classic rock. I have heard the jazzmaster pickups are fairly warm for single coils though so I guess I'll just have to try all four to decide.
Quote by Tango616
....Damn those are fugly.

yea... i have to agree with you there those are some ugly fender guitars. I think I'll stick with my strat.
not to good looking. I dig the fender thin line with P90 idea though
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Meh. I don't get it. They didn't really bring anything new to the table.

I'll care when classic companies introduce modern shapes and designs. Modern companies have no problem introducing classic shapes and designs.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Page 1 of 3