Hi guys

Im just learning to play, maybe 6 weeeks in and im struggling to get my mind to do 2 different things. Ie im trying to keep playing 'non stop' even if i misplace some notes on a chord but my mind keeps wanting me to stop while i change chords lol

Im getting ok with the basic chords but even though i know the song im trying to play really well im struggling to get it sounding similar to the actual record. So my question is do you know of any good youtube vids or any tips to help get me keeping the rhythm and changing chords. Or even just beginners advice on playing?

Thanks guys : )
Pretty much the best advice I can give you is keep playing, keep practicing constantly. There's no easy way, you have to work. Hopefully that work is fun and gratifying.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
with changing chords,
just anticipate what chord you're going to play next before you strum
also practicing the chord shape transition until your hand gets comfortable is helpful

and practice practice practice.
Its always annoying the first few weeks playing guitar. I learned four chords that can be played to pretty much any modern song, and just practised them. Once you can easily play those chords, learning other chords is a doddle because your fingers will be nice and strong.

It is always good to remember that a single strum of unfretted sounds fine whilst your're changing chords, but it won't sound like the song you're trying to play because of it.

Don't worry though. In a few more weeks you'll be playing chords easily.
Fuck the system - Use non-standard tunings!

"Now the guitar is no more than a cowbell, so easy to play, that there is no stable lad who is not a musician on the guitar" Inquisitor Covarrubias 1611
To improve smooth chord changes, I recommend either playing with a metronome or playing along with the music or other musicians.

A metronome may be the easiest to do, although less satisfying than playing along with music. Just set the beat to the fastest you can play while still playing cleanly and without error, and practice. Every once in a while (could be an hour, could be a week, depending on where you are at with your learning curve) you may be able to increase the number of beats per minute and still play cleanly. The hard part is being honest with yourself regarding how fast you can actually play while playing cleanly. If there is a particular chord change that troubles you, play it over and over and over again until it feels easy. I encourage you to play very slowly, especially at the beginning to establish good habits. Both speed and accuracy will result if you are patient.

Playing along to music or other musicians is more fun. The challenge with most songs will be playing fast enough to play along with the music. I use software to slow down the music without changing the pitch, so I can practice as slow as I need to go. Like the metronome, you just speed it up a little bit at a time as you feel confident at each speed. This type of software is also very handy for figuring out how to play songs, especially fast ones.

(The software I use is called "Transcribe!". You can get a free trial download if you google it. I'm sure there are other choices out there, too)

Happy practicing,

sbp
You should check out
justinguitar.com

He has a great method called 1 minute changes. It is sort of similar to the metronome method above. You basically take 2 chords and change between them for 1 minute. You count the number of times you can change and get clean sounds each time. It is a way that you can sort of track your progress. It is also a way to just repeat the movement over and over. I actually started our counting how many times I could do it and then just started to change between two chords over and over while I was watching tv or something.
Hi I started learning quite recently and the easiest lessons I've come across so far is the beginner series at http://www.guitarjamz.com . Also don't rush when you learning, make sure your pick is comfortable in your hand and play along with the song at least once during your practice session(even if you can't play fast enough)
it also helps to use a sort of "anchor" technique where you use one finger as the anchor and set it first, then get used to putting the others down around that one rather than trying to do all 3-4 fingers at once.
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
Quote by 1500 meanstreak
it also helps to use a sort of "anchor" technique where you use one finger as the anchor and set it first, then get used to putting the others down around that one rather than trying to do all 3-4 fingers at once.

Yes! if you do that you won't have to remember a whole lot of different shapes.
Quote by pauldawg1177
You should check out
justinguitar.com

He has a great method called 1 minute changes. It is sort of similar to the metronome method above. You basically take 2 chords and change between them for 1 minute. You count the number of times you can change and get clean sounds each time. It is a way that you can sort of track your progress. It is also a way to just repeat the movement over and over. I actually started our counting how many times I could do it and then just started to change between two chords over and over while I was watching tv or something.

I second that. Those 1 minute change exercises work really well.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-115-1MinuteChanges.php