Poll: So what should I go with?
Poll Options
View poll results: So what should I go with?
Closed Back 1x12
5 45%
Open Back 2x12
2 18%
Open Back 2x12, but close the back myself
4 36%
Voters: 11.
Hi Guys,

I'm looking into getting a new amp, I'm going for my first stack amp. The head I'm going with is the Orange Dark Terror, simply because it is the most amazing amp I've ever played (i've played Rual Recs, JVM's etc.) That's definitely the head that i'l go for, but it's the cab that I'm having problems choosing.
I'm looking at either the closed-back Orange PPC112, which is loaded with a single Celestion Vintage 30, or the open-back Orange PPC212, loaded with TWO Celestion Vintage 30's. I personally love the sound of the 1x12, but it doesn't have the fullness and beefiness that I'm after, whereas the 2x12 has the fullness and fat-ass sound, but I don't know whether it will have the punchy bass response that the 1x12 has. Not to mention that I absolutely adore the look of 2x12's. This is quite a problem for me, because I want to have the fat low-end because I play loads of metal, but I really want the look of the 2x12 and the full tone that it offers.
I have heard lots about people closing open-back cabinets, but I've also heard that it can destroy the tone of it.
As far as I know, you don't absolutely need to make it airtight, but it's a good idea to put a dampener in the back. Also to keep in mind, I'm not great at woodworking...

SO, here's my question to you guys.
Will the Orange 2x12 open back have a good level of bassy punch? If not, should I try closing the back off? If it isn't worth it, or wouldn't work well, should I just go with the 1x12?

If you could give me honest opinions on what would sound the best.
Cheers guys,
From Liam
Last edited by liam_nz at Oct 3, 2011,
I have the 2x12 open back, and it's fine for metal. My Mesa 4x12 is obviously a bit better because of the closed back but the open back still works.

I've been meaning to close mine up as well, I'll see if I can get it done today.
What about an orange closed back 212?

#2 of the Orange TH30 Clique
Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Why not just buy a closed back 2x12?
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
why not just get a closed back orange 2x12?

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
As much as I'd love to get the closed back 2x12, it's an extra NZ$500, which I can't afford unfortunately... Trust me, If i could afford that, I would have bought it a long time ago :P
Quote by ChrisBW
I have the 2x12 open back, and it's fine for metal. My Mesa 4x12 is obviously a bit better because of the closed back but the open back still works.

I've been meaning to close mine up as well, I'll see if I can get it done today.

Could you please let me know what you did, and how it goes? I need really critical responses. If you could, could you please let me know what wood you used, whether you made it airtight, and whether you used a damper?
If you could, I would be eternally grateful
Hmm, then given the options I would probably go with the 2x12 open back, and maybe experiment with closing it up if you're not happy with the sound.

unless there can be an option to try other brands of closed backed 2x12s.. or look used?
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
Yeah, I think that I will, because I have still heard amazing things about it, and if the conversion doesn't work that well, it's reversible...
And i really want to get the Orange cab to go with the Orange head, not to mention that they look INCREDIBLE
I voted 2x12 and close it yourself, but reading the thread I have to ask...what are you going to use it for?
If it's just at home, the PPC112 might be good enough really...it's plenty loud and sounds great with the Dark Terror.
Do you have any way of trying the cabs out before buying?
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
I didn't use a damper.... not sure what this really means anyway?

I found a piece of 3/4" shop birch (I probably wouldn't use regular plywood for this). It isn't baltic birch or void free but it's still good quality for cheap. I'm not sure a difference would really even be perceivable with such a small piece.

Cut it down to 24 1/2" x 11 1/2" and put holes in the same place as the original piece. It fits really snug and there's as much noise as you'd expect to get with a closed back cab coming from the back.

For metal, it makes a decent improvement over having it open. Much more punchier I guess. If it saves you enough money it's definitely a really good option. I mean the difference here in the states is $170 and I'd definitely recommend it if someone didn't quite have enough (or like me got an open back in a good deal). I'm going to keep mine closed for the most part now... maybe except for using it with my AC30.
I'm going to try everything out first, I've played through a rocker verb 50 combo, which is open-backed, and the same size and speakers as the PPC212OB, and I wasn't impressed...
Just thought I'd let you all know, I was eventually able to stretch the budget a bit more to get the Closed Back 2x12. I LOVE IT!
Thanks all for the input