So I just found that the audio box in my multimedia class has combination audio in plugs that accept XLR and 1/4 inputs and I discovered that my audiobox at home has the same plugs (somehow never noticed it).

So I'm kinda afraid to just start plugging things in and turning things on I wouldn't wanna accidently fry something. So can I plug a 1/4 cable into my audiobox from my guitar amps output jack and record directly to the computer without the mics?

Much thanks
"Those people who tell you not to take chances
They are all missing on what life is about
You only live once so take hold of the chance
Don't end up like others the same song and dance"
-Metallica
No, it is for plugging in guitars/bass guitars, as well as line-level instruments, directly and then using amp sims and other plug-ins to process the signal.

Plugging in the speaker output of your amp will:

a) Put a lot of strain on your amp's power amp section, as it will no longer see the correct load/impedance to the flow of signal. If you have a valve amp this could fry the amp's valves, but also cause the output transformer to overheat (I believe). There are also other issues in the power amp section when this occurs.

b) Risk frying the preamps of your interface by sending a signal way too hot for them to cope with, if the amp is turned up much.

c) Be a bit pointless, as the whole point of micing the amp is to get the sound across, which is coloured a lot by the speakers moving air - remove the speakers from the equation and you lose a lot of the life and soul of the amp's character when matched with a specific cab. In that case you may as well just plug into the amp's effects loop or preamp out, because at least then the signal won't harm your amp or interface, and you can keep the amp's master volume low with the speakers hooked up, and simulate the cab with impulse responses in software.

Finally, if you go from the power amp output, you are pointlessly boosting the signal of the preamp to a level too high for the interface, before it runs through yet more preamps and then the converters.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath

b) Risk frying the preamps of your interface by sending a signal way too hot for them to cope with, if the amp is turned up much.

Not sure the amp your using but having tried to record directly from multiple line outs on combo amps in the past, you will also get a very sorry sounding "tone" if you want to even call it that.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
No, it is for plugging in guitars/bass guitars, as well as line-level instruments, directly and then using amp sims and other plug-ins to process the signal.

Plugging in the speaker output of your amp will:

a) Put a lot of strain on your amp's power amp section, as it will no longer see the correct load/impedance to the flow of signal. If you have a valve amp this could fry the amp's valves, but also cause the output transformer to overheat (I believe). There are also other issues in the power amp section when this occurs.

c) Be a bit pointless, as the whole point of micing the amp is to get the sound across, which is coloured a lot by the speakers moving air - remove the speakers from the equation and you lose a lot of the life and soul of the amp's character when matched with a specific cab. In that case you may as well just plug into the amp's effects loop or preamp out, because at least then the signal won't harm your amp or interface, and you can keep the amp's master volume low with the speakers hooked up, and simulate the cab with impulse responses in software.

Finally, if you go from the power amp output, you are pointlessly boosting the signal of the preamp to a level too high for the interface, before it runs through yet more preamps and then the converters.

It'd pretty much just blow it up instantly...amps put out more amperage than a line level, a heck of alot more, and a preamp is not designed to handle very many amps, more like miliamps instead of like 2-3 amps or whatever amps put out.

You can run a line out of your FX send if you have one, and it wouldn't hurt your interface, but then you would have to apply impulses in your DAW to make it sound any good.

Otherwise, if you are not sure of what you are doing, don't attempt.
if it's a Hi-Z (impedance) input then you can plug your guitar in as a DI. Otherwise you'll need something to gain up the signal like a direct box or preamp.

And as far as your amp's output jack, make SURE it's line out/preamp out and not speaker out.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Usually combo style jacks have a mic level XLR input and the TRS is instrument level. This is true for my PreSonus FP10, (currently sitting back in it's box) and for my Zoom H4n. You can get a transformer that converts instrument level to line level.
Quote by moody07747
You can get a transformer that converts instrument level to line level.

Any DI will do.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Alright thanks you guys Glad I asked rather than just plugging and praying.
"Those people who tell you not to take chances
They are all missing on what life is about
You only live once so take hold of the chance
Don't end up like others the same song and dance"
-Metallica
Your inputs are made for instruments, like someone stated earlier.
I can answer by saying I fried my line in on my sound card by putting my speaker out to line in, then turning the amp too loud.

If your amp specifically has a line-out, then you could probably use that, otherwise don't do it.

Your input is probably just Hi-Z though. I just got an M-Audio Fast Track Pro a few days ago and it has both Hi-Z and Line level, so if you can switch to line level, then do so.