Hi all,

My Les Paul has a very loud hum to it when I am not touching the strings or the bridge. As I move my hand towards the strings it quietens and when I touch them it goes silent.

I've googled this for about an hour now and I keep getting conflicting answers. Is this normal behaviour for a les paul or is there a grounding issue? I haven't modified it in anyway, and its not a cheap copy.

All help greatly appreciated
Sounds like a grounding issue. If it has humbuckers it should be almost completely silent (hence the name lol)
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Sounds like a grounding issue. Something got loose inside, open it up and take a look. No harm in looking..
i think it might be a grounding issue...
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
you should check the solder joint where it's grounded
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
its often not very straightforward to find. i have one that hums like that, it hums unless i touch something, but its not a wiring problem. the only thing that DOESNT stop the hum is when i touch the metal shaft of the toggle switch. that makes it worse a little bit. i jsut havent taken the time to ground the body of the switch to see if that cures it. touch everything metal you can and see if anything doesnt cure it, and ground it. see if that helps.

also note that a wiring issue like a lead wire coming off or shorting will cause MORE hum when you touch it. but as mentioned, you can check your ground solder joints also and see how they look. should be clean and shiny
Thankyou everyone for the replies, I opened up the back and found a dodgy soldering joint on one of the earths, i resolderded it and the others as a precaution and the problem is solved

There is still a slight hum when its on but its not affected by me touching it or not, but I can live with that for now.
that's probably from the room's electrical circuitry or the lights
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence