Good day,

I made my mind and i'm going to get the Mesa Boogie Mark V head, but since I dont really love the combo, I want to get the head, but my budget is quite limited which leaves me with roughly 300 euros to spend on a cab. I found the Marshal MG 412 A (http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/de_DE/-/EUR/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=GIT0004324-001%40MusicStore-MusicStoreShop&JumpTo=OfferList) to use as a temporary cab till I can afford a proper Mesa 4x12. Do you think that,
1) It will hurt my sound VERY much, (like difference between a 2000 euros and 100 euro AMPLIFIER, or is it more subtle like High end LTD and ESPs)
2) Do you recommend this cab for a cheap, entry level, temporary cab?

Thanks <3
Marshall Mode Four 400 cab.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
the 200 extra watts is not necessary for me, is there any other difference?
and if you dislike this, why is that?
Quote by omidmash
the 200 extra watts is not necessary for me, is there any other difference?
and if you dislike this, why is that?

Doesn't matter.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
You are Ot very helpful but I guess you did your best at communicating. Do people have to post when they are not in good mood?
Quote by omidmash
You are Ot very helpful but I guess you did your best at communicating. Do people have to post when they are not in good mood?

I'm dying

Tbh if your spending over 2k on the Mk5 head it does seem a bit daft to cut back on the cabinet mate, but with your 300 you might be abke to find an Orange 212obx cab which is high quality and able to pull off many different genres well.

Though the Marshall I suggested is just a big huge tight bassy metal cab

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by NosralTserrof
1: Yes
2: No

Look at Avatar, White Box, or Harley Benton.

Number 1 wasn't a yes or no question

But the MGs are notorious for having some of the shittiest speakers around. Honestly, all the cash you spend on a Mark V would have just been wasted. -justice would have been done. I'd say Avatar cabs are a good choice, or maybe vader cabs (depending on what sound you want).
Where's Waldo?
Don't get the MG cab.

On that budget I believe you can get a Framus 212 or an Orange 212.

Or go for the Mode Four cabinet. The wattage of the cab doesn't matter, as long as it meets or exceeds what the amp puts out. What matters the most is the sound quality.

The Mode Four cab is a pretty decent cab, oddly enough since the Mode Four head is supposed to be kinda crappy.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'd just get the combo! it will be loud enough for gigs, and a lot easier to carry around than a half stack.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
Quote by New_Crisis
I'd just get the combo! it will be loud enough for gigs, and a lot easier to carry around than a half stack.

Well the mark v combo is only a couple pounds lighter than the recto 2x12 cab, so yeah if weight is a factor, then the combo will be fine.

Can you find a used recto 2x12 cab for 300 euros?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
it might br tough but possibly. in canada, or atleast around me, they usually go 500$ used.
Thanks for advices but I don't carry my stuff a lot and I really would love a half stack this time.
Quote by omidmash
Thanks for advices but I don't carry my stuff a lot and I really would love a half stack this time.

Then you have 3 choices,

1. Buy the MG and hate it until you can afford to upgrade it. Then lose at least 1/2 of its value on the used market.

2. Buy a good quality used 2x12 or 4x12 cab. Or a used Mark V head.

3. Hold off until you can afford both the head and the cab you want.

Guess it depends on how long it will take you to come up with the extra 800 euros to buy a Mesa Recto 4x12. If you have the cash to straight out buy the head and have 300 euros left, and have a decent job, you could always put the rest of the cab on a credit card and pay it off in a couple of months. Well depending on how good you are with money :P If it were me, I'd buy both with cash + credit and pay off the card in a month.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Last edited by omidmash at Oct 4, 2011,
Can't you go 2nd hand buddy?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
The MG cabs are loaded with rebranded Celestion Rocket 50's. They're not a terrible speaker but there are much better options available. Also buying cabinets/speakers second hand isn't as risky as buying amps or guitars. They either work, sound very flabby and 'wrong', or just don't work period. Plus a speaker cabinet is a very simple thing (a few lengths of wire and a few speakers inside a box), so there's not much to go wrong.

Basically, the wattage ratings on speakers just determine how easily they distort. Lower wattage = less clean headroom in a nutshell. Some people rely on speaker distortion in their setup, others want nothing to do with it. Just be sure to end up with a cab that has a higher wattage rating than your amp to avoid any problems down the road.

The Mode Four cab would be awesome under a Mark V if you're using it for aggressive/hard rock styles. Problem is trying to find one locally since most people won't ship a 4x12. Have you thought about a 2x12? You already plan on replacing the cab when you can afford something else, and having 2 quality speakers beats 4 mediocre ones. And the difference in volume isn't all that much.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by omidmash
but is it quality stuff?

The 1960av? Yes. And like others have said, the mode 4 4x12 cab would be a good option as well.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I am not able to find the Mode 4 on the interwebs. Is there a more precise name to it? <== marshal noob, im sorry =/
MF280 and MF400. But I don't think they are in production any longer.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Pretty sure you can find some 2x12 Mesa cabs for like 500 bucks on ebay.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
If you get a good 212 now, you can always sell it later and buy a good 412.

Don't go for a crappy 412 now just for looks. You'll regret it.

The 1960 is a good cab. Just don't get an MG cab.

Besides, the MG 412 cabs are very small for a 412, a lot smaller than the 1960 or the Mode 4, way way smaller than a Mesa 412.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
So, I got the 1960 right now on mind, which sounds pretty good for the price. Any other recommendations?
There is absolutely no reason not to go second hand ona speaker cab. The speakers will most likely already be broken in so it'll sound better and you'll get a better cab for the price plus there is very little to go wrong with a cab!
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Oct 4, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
There is absolutely no reason not to go second hand ona speaker cab. The speakers will most likely already be broken in so it'll sound better and you'll get a better cab for the price plus there is very little to go wrong with a cab!

Only prob with buying used for anything is the fact that what you want might not be available I'd love to find a used 2x12 recto v30 or 1960av, but haven't had any luck
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
How am I specific? Let's rephrase. I'm getting a mark v head, and I need a good cab for Dream theater, Metallica and softer stuff such as pink Floyd. My focus is on Thrash metal and new Metallica style. Would 1960 AV suit me best with this price? There are no better second hands as far as I searched for Mesa cabs.
Quote by omidmash
How am I specific? Let's rephrase. I'm getting a mark v head, and I need a good cab for Dream theater, Metallica and softer stuff such as pink Floyd. My focus is on Thrash metal and new Metallica style. Would 1960 AV suit me best with this price? There are no better second hands as far as I searched for Mesa cabs.

The 1960AV is a good cab. It'll be a little brighter than the Mesa 4x12 but you can compensate for that by turning down the treble/presence on the Mark V.

If you buy it used you can sell it for the same price you bought it for when you eventually get the Mesa cab.

The other nice thing about the Marshall 1960s is that they're an industry standard, so they're easy to sell when you don't need them anymore.