Page 1 of 2
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/235320.php

Holy fucking crap

Sloan Churman, 29, who was born profoundly deaf, wept when she heard her own voice and laughter for the first time after having a hearing device implanted nine weeks ago. Churman, who used to use hearing aids to capture some rudimentary sounds, said "Hearing aids only help you so much".

Churman's husband videoed her as the nurses switched the implant on and she heard herself and the world around her at full volume for the first time.

There's a video to her reaction of being able to hear normally for the first time in her life, and I must repeat: holy fucking crap.
Holy shit

Incredible.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
So heart warming

This is a good thing.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
she's hot
/obligatory

In all seriousness though. That was ****ing awesome
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Oct 3, 2011,
pretty cool

sucks that she's deaf to begin with though
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
That's awesome.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I'm afraid to watch the video cause I don't wanna cry

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
That is the best thing I have seen on the internet in a long time

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
Quote by behind_you
She speak pretty clearly for someone who's been deaf for a long time..........

Quote by Ichikurosaki
How does she understand the nurses questions? How does she know what english language SOUNDS like?

I don't get it

She had been using hearing aids for a long time to hear tiny little bits, I assume that's how she learned to speak and understand language.
She understands what the nurse is saying most likely because she knows how to read lips very well, being deaf and all
Quote by Ichikurosaki
How does she understand the nurses questions? How does she know what english language SOUNDS like?

I don't get it

there are ways to learn to talk, by teaching through holding your hand on your throat and learning through vibrations, learning through feeling and having a hear-able person give you feedback and generally having the imprint on your genetic code to be able to pick up language quickly anyway.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by Ichikurosaki

I don't get it

"hearing aids to capture some rudimentary sounds"

Apparently this too?
Quote by CoreysMonster
She had been using hearing aids for a long time to hear tiny little bits, I assume that's how she learned to speak and understand language.

I see. Then good for her
They should have immediately played her "The View" by Loutallica.

I would've been interested to see if she actually wanted to continue hearing things after that.

Seriously though, this is great. I'm happy for her.
Last edited by Shawn1379 at Oct 3, 2011,
Seems like she's picking up some...

Good Vibrations.

Seriously though, this is awesome, you never really think about how much of the world you absorb through your ears until you see someone who has never heard, well, hear.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
This is soooooo old. I saw this on MSN.com a couple days ago.
RIP Matt Lauer

Because i'd rather pretend you're dead than acknowledge your existence.
Quote by WaterGod
This is soooooo old. I saw this on MSN.com a couple days ago.

Cool story, bro
Bloody hell!!! Genuinely felt happy for her when I saw that, such a good advancement in medical technology. Hope it can help many other people without complications.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Wow, I'm genuinely stunned, she seemed so elated and it sort of warms my heart a little, nice one medic advances, we're finally seeing results
That's nice
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Shawn1379
They should have immediately played her "The View" by Loutallica.

I would've been interested to see if she actually wanted to continue hearing things after that.

Seriously though, this is great. I'm happy for her.

+1 LOL

Good news though
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned for respecting my opinion and politely disagreeing.
You're probably the most respectful person in the Pit.
aww
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by WhiskeyFace
I don't know the details so someone just answer me please.

Have we cured deafness?

I don't think so, the comment under the video says that the person can't use this implant because his/her ear nerves are damaged or something. But then, I'm no physician.

Dammit man, I'm a pit monkey, not a doctor!
Quote by CoreysMonster
I don't think so, the comment under the video says that the person can't use this implant because his/her ear nerves are damaged or something. But then, I'm no physician.

Dammit man, I'm a pit monkey, not a doctor!

Curing deafness, as in can't hear anything even with hearing aids, would require rewiring of the nerves in the ear and to the brain.

I think.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by laid-to-waste
there are ways to learn to talk, by teaching through holding your hand on your throat and learning through vibrations, learning through feeling and having a hear-able person give you feedback and generally having the imprint on your genetic code to be able to pick up language quickly anyway.

But nowhere near that well. I've taken sign langauge classes, and there's a lot of people born deaf that decide to get implants later in life. They cannot speak that well, because you have to be trained from when you're young, because your brain has to develop to be able to speak properly. She speaks and comprehends far too well for that to be her first time hearing.

I call shananigans.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Oct 3, 2011,
I saw this a few days ago, but yeah, quite a miracle. I was very much pleased to hear of what they did for her.

Maybe she'll become a guitarist now.

EDIT: Second sentence: pun not intended.
We're all alright!
I've heard deaf people talk before and they're nowhere near as articulate is this woman is.
PM me for newts
This just blew my mind.

I would love for there to be a video recording of the first time she hears a piano.
Page 1 of 2