Page 1 of 2
Ok so ive come up with this nice heavy deathcore'ish riff that is mainly in A# minor using an a# arpeggio and then i wanted to use the open d string as a pedal note thingy but what i found out is that since A# doesnt contain d it makes it sound creepy, hard to understand but it sounds more "deathy" out of key like this so is going out of key on purpose like thise accepted in the music industry or is it frowned apon?
Not only is it frowned upon, but it is illegal. Consider this a musical speeding ticket for attempting to use D in the key of A# minor. Repeated offense will result in the music police revoking your license to make music.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Not only is it frowned upon, but it is illegal. Consider this a musical speeding ticket for attempting to use D in the key of A# minor. Repeated offense will result in the music police revoking your license to make music.

this

i tried playing out of key a few times in my reckless youth and they took away my liscence to make music now all i can do is play music illegally in seedy bars
Quote by Xiaoxi

+1
If a pizza has a radius of "Z" and a height of "A" it has a volume of pi(z)(z)(a)
TS, heed the testimony of supersac. He is currently on parole for abusing the aeolian mode on Miles Davis' So What. When his fellow inmates heard about his crime, they sodomized him with a series of oblique 5ths.

Quote by Robfreitag

And that is why he's dead.
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Oct 3, 2011,
I didn't think there was such a key as "A# minor"... All these years I've been thinking it's B flat minor......
Quote by Xiaoxi
TS, heed the testimony of supersac. He is currently on parole for abusing the aeolian mode on Miles Davis' So What. When his fellow inmates heard about his crime, they sodomized him with a series of oblique 5ths.

...i thought it was a minor offense
B flat A sharp... same thing, but what you dont wanna say is E sharp...i really dont see the point in it
Quote by Captaincranky
I didn't think there was such a key as "A# minor"... All these years I've been thinking it's B flat minor......

You were correct.

Quote by Lalaporo
B flat A sharp... same thing, but what you dont wanna say is E sharp...i really dont see the point in it

Failing to see the importance of enharmonics = minimum of 10 years

Quote by supersac

It was until you did it for the entire solo.
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Oct 3, 2011,
Quote by Lalaporo
Ok so ive come up with this nice heavy deathcore'ish riff that is mainly in A# minor using an a# arpeggio and then i wanted to use the open d string as a pedal note thingy but what i found out is that since A# doesnt contain d it makes it sound creepy, hard to understand but it sounds more "deathy" out of key like this so is going out of key on purpose like thise accepted in the music industry or is it frowned apon?

90% of people in the music industry probably don't even know what 'out of key' means
Quote by Lalaporo
If you think about it, this is why nobody ever admits to playing in the key of "C sharp".....
Quote by supersac
this

i tried playing out of key a few times in my reckless youth and they took away my liscence to make music now all i can do is play music illegally in seedy bars

Tell me about it. When I attempted it in public I was pulled immediately off stage. I tried to tell them that it was "accidental" and that I'll keep to chord tones from now on. Eventually I was put away for 5 counts of 26/4, repeated. My coda was supervised by the E locrain mode, not a good place to be.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
meh i think what we learned today is that music theory is just that, a theory and that it is to only help us in our journey through music and not controll it... either that or peanut butter and strawberry jelly does not go good with death metal
Quote by Lalaporo
meh i think what we learned today is that music theory is just that, a theory and that it is to only help us in our journey through music and not controll it... either that or peanut butter and strawberry jelly does not go good with death metal
Musical theory, much like a stop sign, is just a suggestion anyway.

As to the rest of it, where death metal is involved, anything that causes flatulence should be avoided. This is because it presents a clear and present danger to an individual who is flatulating when the pyrotechnic displays are touched off.

If P, B, & J is what "blows your dress up", so to speak, then you should avoid it at all costs.
Quote by Captaincranky
Musical theory, much like a stop sign, is just a suggestion anyway.

Hopefully you mean a "give way" or "yield" sign....stop signs come with fines if you don't stop.
Soundcloud
lolololz yes stop lights, speed limits and the direction of traffic...all suggestions just like people suggesting to me all the time to know better music theory... well i know enough to blow off yngwie malmsteen so HAAAAA
Quote by AlanHB
Hopefully you mean a "give way" or "yield" sign....stop signs come with fines if you don't stop.
Well, a "yield" sign usually turns into a battle of wills.

As to the stop sign issue, give me a minute officer, I've got my driver's license and proof of insurance here somewhere....
dont forget to hide the weed... and coke... and pills... and stolen guitar... and dead body... and the stolen car im dri... nvm thats too damn risky for me XD
Quote by supersac

Actually, if you jump around the scale enough, it can be both minor and major.
Quote by Captaincranky
Well, a "yield" sign usually turns into a battle of wills.

As to the stop sign issue, give me a minute officer, I've got my driver's license and proof of insurance here somewhere....

Cool stuff, here's a fine and points off your licence.

The simple answer to the TS's question is that music theory isn't a set of rules (like driving laws), it describes why notes sound the way they sound and their context. Playing an out-of-key note is against no "rule" (as there are no rules). However music theory will deem it an "accidental", an extremely common event in the world of music.
Soundcloud
Quote by RedDeath9
Actually, if you jump around the scale enough, it can be both minor and major.

Oh MT...
We're all alright!
claim its an atonal piece like the orchestra during a fight scene in a starwars movie and you might not get convicted by the jury during your court trial.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
You guys had wayyy too much fun with that musical illegal offense thing
But ya you can go out of key as much as you want... it's not like it's illegal
Quote by ThatDarnDavid
claim its an atonal piece like the orchestra during a fight scene in a starwars movie and you might not get convicted by the jury during your court trial.

Oh, you mean to plead atonality?
Quote by RedDeath9
Oh, you mean to plead atonality?

Why not? Beethoven was deaf, wasn't he? That's about as atonal as it gets!
Quote by Captaincranky
Why not? Beethoven was deaf, wasn't he? That's about as atonal as it gets!

I guess you could say... he was a serial killer

But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Cavalcade
If you end up in a Serialist court in the first place, you deserve what you get. Seriously, I've heard some of their juries give a verdict by flipping a coin 12 times.

I, the Clerk of Aleatoric Courts, hereby fine you the amount of $200USD for your neglect of the presence of Aleatoric elements within musical law.
Quote by Cavalcade
ITT: So much win.

This
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by Vlasco
I, the Clerk of Aleatoric Courts, hereby fine you the amount of $200USD for your neglect of the presence of Aleatoric elements within musical law.

OK, somebody's been listening to Pink Floyd's, "The Wall", just a leeetle to often....
Quote by Lalaporo

In some situations ou have to say E sharp.
Page 1 of 2