Hey folks, I'm in a bit of dilemma as to which one of these to get. I fancied the RGA72 cause of the mahogany body and the active pick ups but I'm a little worried about the strength of set in neck where as the other is bolt on. Can anybody suggest which would be on the spec of things better or who has played either or both and can suggest. Any help would be appreciated. Here are the links to specs and prices

IBANEZ RGA72TQMZ-TGB - Thomann Irish Cyberstore

IBANEZ RG870QMZ-BI - Thomann Irish Cyberstore
From what I can tell the RG870 will be high-quality as it's from the Premium range, and of course.. it's more pricey. You get what you pay for! Comparing my £700 RG1527 Prestige and £350 RG350.. the Prestige makes the other feel like a toy. Even guys in college who don't like Ibanez or metal guitars were bowled over by the quality.

I say the RG870!
Quote by SilverSpurs616
From what I can tell the RG870 will be high-quality as it's from the Premium range, and of course.. it's more pricey. You get what you pay for! Comparing my £700 RG1527 Prestige and £350 RG350.. the Prestige makes the other feel like a toy. Even guys in college who don't like Ibanez or metal guitars were bowled over by the quality.

I say the RG870!

Lol na...

TS go second hand and get a real prestige ibanez. They make the premiums look like toys.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Lol na...

TS go second hand and get a real prestige ibanez. They make the premiums look like toys.

ur a toy
Tool dear.

I'm a tool.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Thanks folk for some of the more mature comments and I have thought about the Prestige models but I have heard such rave reviews about the IBANEZ RG870QMZ, especially the neck I was thinking it would be a more affordable option. I also think (and I really hate saying this) that some of the Prestige's look a little boring which is no reason not to choose a guitar as after all its the feel and playability which matters as well as the fact that they are made in Japan (which is a huge difference in quality) but I'm still inclined towards the Premium :P
The necks of the Premiums are nice, they use a similar technique to that used on the J Customs, they roll the fret ends to give a nicer feel, but despite that, it isnt worth buying one to get inferior hardware and tone woods.

If your willing to pay the £700 odd quid for a premium you can get some not so dull looking Prestige guitars.

For instance this:

Cost me £600

This:

Cost me £400

This:

Cost £700 new at the time and they go for sub £400 all the time on eBay.

This:

Cost me £300

This:

Cost me £500

All of them are high end Prestige guitars, all of them cost less than the current Premium line up, they all use top end hardware and would last a life time. The Premiums havent been out long enough for people to see how lasting the Edge II is, dont waste your money mate.

Go for a Prestige and get a guitar that will:

A: Hold its value
B: Last a lifetime

Trust me on this one.

I mean for just over £150 more than a Premium I managed to snag an original run Ibanez J Custom from Japan.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Oct 4, 2011,
rga72qtmz all the way.

The one I have is killer, it's a whole lot of guitar for not being a Prestige and I think the 2011 model holds it's own.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Tom knows what hes talking about.
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Ibanez: s470
Jackson: RR Flying V
Charvel: 90's model sunburst
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab
Yeah I can see that, wish I could have picked up half of them beauties for the price he got them at, very sick is my emotion on that. Cheers folks for the help, ill hang on and see what I can pick up then
You can have the yellow one for the price of a new Premium if your interested

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
There are tons of Prestiges on ebay at those kinds of prices every month.
Go for a prestige over a premium. You'll be losing the maple top and binding, but you will be getting a better trem and fret work in return.

Look for a used RG3120 if you can find one. Those are easily the best production RGs Ibanez has ever made. Same quality as a J custom.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by Tom 1.0
You can have the yellow one for the price of a new Premium if your interested

Oh you...
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER