Poll: Which would you find most difficult to lose?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which would you find most difficult to lose?
Sight
50 53%
Hearing
35 37%
Taste
1 1%
Touch
4 4%
Smell
5 5%
Voters: 95.
Page 1 of 2
Partly inpired by this thread, which sense do you think you'd have the hardest time losing? I know a lot of you will instantly think "OMG DEFINATELY HEARING WONT BE ABLE TO PLAY GUITAR EVER EVER AGAIN!", which is fine; but please just think about it for a bit longer before you decide. The loss of any sense would disrupt your day to day life, but which one would prevent you doing the most? Which one would be the most difficult to live with and find ways to do things without?

Personally i'd hate to lose my sight. I would find it so intrusive into my life, and I think it would prevent me doing most things. Any other sense lost and I would still be able to drive, go to work (allbeit not all jobs, but still more than being blind), move around in public unaided and/or without risk of getting lost and walking into things, watch and use TV/computers/camera etc (anything with a screen), go to the shop and know what it is i'm picking up off the shelf...

Poll soon....
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
definitely hearing.

I mean, if I have to live my life disabled, I at least want music to keep me company. I know that loss of sight would hinder pretty much everything I do, and I'd have a lot of problems doing the simplest things, but I think that living my life in silence would be a LOT worse than a life in darkness.

I can deal with darkness, eternal silence would drive me insane.
Hearing for sure. i've thought about this before and i've come to the conclusion that darkness i can deal with but the inability to hear things just scares the crap out of me.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
touch, because then i couldn't fap.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Sight. I like seeing, end of story.

Take taste or smell. Without taste, I could top that man vs. wild guy and drink GALLONS of my own urine!

...Er, not that I would want to or anything. Just sayin'.
Sight. Our world is a very visual one.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by theogonia777
touch, because then i couldn't fap.

You know, i've never thought of that before. Not the masturbation bit (although I havn't thought of that either); but if you had/have no sense of touch at all, you cannot reproduce if you're a bloke?
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
In a battle between sight and hearing, I lean towards sight. I have no problem with sitting in silence, it'd still suck balls but I could deal with it I think. Sure I won't get to listen to music, but whatever.

Losing my sight though, **** that, it's just completely depressing. Walking around blindfolded is so much worse than walking around with ear plugs in.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Sight man... my career as a cameraman would probably go down the pan without it.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I wouldn't want to loose any of them, period. If I could loose my sense of smell, I'd be ok, but I'd rather not.

"Lose" dammit.

It's spelled "l-o-s-e"
Sight. I would never want to be blind. I can live without touch or smell or taste easily I think. Not being able to hear would suck though.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Probably smell, tbh. In between hearing and sight, I'd keep sight, simply because it's easier to adjust - you can read instead of hearing, and you can more or less function, whereas blind is rough.

The worst to lose though, would be touch. That'd be bloody mental. A) No sex B) Surely, no conception of pain and stuff?

EDIT: TS, Y U MAKE POLL DIFFERENT TO THREAD?
Sight, I enjoy all my senses though and would rather keep them.
Quote by blake1221
"Lose" dammit.

It's spelled "l-o-s-e"

I thought about posting this but let it slide.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
I would like keeping all my senses... wel, except for relative temperature, when has that one ever done nay good?
Quote by gabcd86
Probably smell, tbh. In between hearing and sight, I'd keep sight, simply because it's easier to adjust - you can read instead of hearing, and you can more or less function, whereas blind is rough.

The worst to lose though, would be touch. That'd be bloody mental. A) No sex B) Surely, no conception of pain and stuff?

EDIT: TS, Y U MAKE POLL DIFFERENT TO THREAD?

How do you mean?

And yes without touch you can get serious damage from burns & wounds etc. 'cause you can't feel them. But then again, if you can't see, than you don't always know where the hot or sharp thing is.
id hate to lose sight especially since i love reading and playing video games and watching movies and our whole world is kinda based on sight

id hate to lose hearing but i could at least continue functioning without it
...it wont be a happy life withouth music but it would still be a life
Quote by rockdude375
How do you mean?

And yes without touch you can get serious damage from burns & wounds etc. 'cause you can't feel them. But then again, if you can't see, than you don't always know where the hot or sharp thing is.

Oh. I've had a few drinks, didn't see the not. My bad.
Quote by gabcd86
Oh. I've had a few drinks, didn't see the not. My bad.

Fair enough What you on? I'm on Strongbow here
Quote by rockdude375
Fair enough What you on? I'm on Strongbow here

Mostly vodka and lemonade at the student bar, tbh. I've been buying the massive cheap bottles of Strongbow this week, and now want to avoid them.
Quote by gabcd86
Mostly vodka and lemonade at the student bar, tbh. I've been buying the massive cheap bottles of Strongbow this week, and now want to avoid them.

'S'all good. I just got 40 cans for £20 recently at tesco. Pretty chuffed. At least, whichever sense you lose, you can still get pissed
Quote by rockdude375
'S'all good. I just got 40 cans for £20 recently at tesco. Pretty chuffed. At least, whichever sense you lose, you can still get pissed

Sense of Hydration?

There are more than 5 senses you know .
Quote by Afroboy267
Sense of Hydration?

There are more than 5 senses you know .

You lose the sense of hydration when you're pissed anyway. That's why we get hangovers Though I wouldn't mind losing the hangover sense though
I'm at a loss in deciding sight or hearing.

On the positives...I could lose hearing and simply read what everyone says. But I could lose sight and force myself to train my relative pitch better. Albeit a couple of other reasons for each but I can't quite determine what I'd find more difficult.
We're all alright!
Goddamn this is hard. Its definitely between sight and hearing for me. I can't imagine never being able to see again. I'd never see how my future wife looks like, my children, my grandkids, etc. Then again, being a musician and all, I can't imagine living without sound. I can't hear music, sounds, people, the environment.

**** you and your question TS
pinga
Quote by korinaflyingv
what a load of shit

i wouldn't want to have wasted 3 years of my life and however many thousand quid on a music degree only to lose my sense of hearing...

Still underestimating sight.

But good for you.
Quote by korinaflyingv
what a load of shit

i wouldn't want to have wasted 3 years of my life and however many thousand quid on a music degree only to lose my sense of hearing...

Fair point. But would you have been able to do all of that if you were blind? (Not saying you wouldn't, i'm genuinely curious as to whether or not you would've been).
Quote by blake1221
Still underestimating sight.

i'm really not. life would be terrible without it. but it would be worse for me without hearing. i don't think i love anything in this world more than music (not actually an exaggeration).

Quote by rockdude375
Fair point. But would you have been able to do all of that if you were blind?

no, definitely not. but as long as i have a sense of hearing and some sort of movement in my body, i will make music, and will thus fulfill what i consider to be my purpose in life.
There are more than 5 senses...

I wouldn't mind losing the sense of time, as long as it makes things seem to go by faster in general. I don't think I'd mind losing my sense of taste (and smell goes along with it) even though I'd miss out on good food. I could walk around eating out of a jar of mayonnaise, in public, WITHOUT replacing it with vanilla pudding. Life would be great if I lost the sense of time, taste, and smell.
Page 1 of 2