What do you guys think? getting easier or harder to use youtube to get noticed?
Rebbecca Black. that is all.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
A band from my town are getting pretty big via YouTube; Likely Lads. So big that they opened for Pete Doherty at the Barbican.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

My short answer will say that it's a toss up. Everybody is using YouTube now for crappy and great covers, crappy and great originals, crappy and great shows, crappy and great you name it.

Success is defined outside the use of YouTube because the website is to simply be no more than a tool in a musician's arsenal.
We're all alright!

THOSE WERE THE DROIDS WE WERE LOOKING FOR
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by Trowzaa
A band from my town are getting pretty big via YouTube; Likely Lads. So big that they opened for Pete Doherty at the Barbican.

Unless they opened a baggie of coke, I doubt they'll be remembered. I've not heard of them yet...

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by BlackLuster
Unless they opened a baggie of coke, I doubt they'll be remembered. I've not heard of them yet...

Give it time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy4NlI4ip0A
They're brilliant.

Youtube, like the radio is kind of a medium.

Unlike the radio, everybody can get on youtube and show their stuff. That can be good or bad, depending if you are good or bad.

If you're a band, you could always put your music up on YT but your number of views aren't guaranteed. Sure, your music is on youtube for everybody, but nobody listens to your band, never heard of them and I'm supposed to be able to look you up? You're screwed.

Now maybe if I was watching some Youtube Celeb's channel and I heard this killer song and they posted a link leading to your videos so I can get this wonderful tune....

Sorry for the scatterbrain thinking out loud but to me, Youtube is a great way for a band to get noticed if they can catch everybody's attention.

So can a musician get success from Youtube? Yes

Will being on Youtube guarantee me success? No.

Do I have a chance to get noticed and get my stuff out there? Yes.

Does that mean I'll be a gazillionaire? No.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Trowzaa
Give it time
They're brilliant.

I hope they're not like Elliot Minor, those guys were crap.
And one of them got on Pointless too, dropping his Yorkshire accent ever so slyly...

BL

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Justin Bieber's not a good example of most things, but if there is one thing he's a great example of, it's the power of youtube. Now of course he's very much a basket case, but if your basket case is the biggest pop star in the world, it can still be very useful for the majority that don't get that gigantic break, as long as you know how to edit video and use decent equipment.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by BlackLuster
I hope they're not like Elliot Minor, those guys were crap.
And one of them got on Pointless too, dropping his Yorkshire accent ever so slyly...

BL

I quite liked their earlier stuff, Parallel Worlds and all that, then they went for some.. I don't even know, orchestral pop-punk shit. It was dreadful.

I still think youtube is probably the best tool a musician has today, even though it is a bit crowded. If used correctly...it could do alot! ...but getting more crowded everyday...better hurry.

Depeneds on what you define as success.

It is a great way to be noticed if you're actually doing something special, but I wouldn't expect to just be an overnight star. Please don't become another one of those *talk in random burst, talk about topic, jump to another very quick, video cuts every 3 seconds. slightly new position.* sort of video makers that somehow get millions of views in like a day.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Youtube is definitely a good medium to get your music heard. People can hear and more importantly share songs they come across on youtube. It takes a lot of the work out of finding and listening to music.

Quote by Trowzaa
Give it time
They're brilliant.

My first thought upon seeing them was, "Oh man, these kids look soooo British." Then I found out that they actually are.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Oct 3, 2011,
Quote by Tango616
Depeneds on what you define as success.

It is a great way to be noticed if you're actually doing something special, but I wouldn't expect to just be an overnight star. Please don't become another one of those *talk in random burst, talk about topic, jump to another very quick, video cuts every 3 seconds. slightly new position.* sort of video makers that somehow get millions of views in like a day.

Not my plan at all...Looking to feature the music more than anything
I'd hate to get big on youtube, i'd have to read youtube comments about my work. Sites like it are an important medium to adapt to though.
Quote by bendystraw
I'd hate to get big on youtube, i'd have to read youtube comments about my work. Sites like it are an important medium to adapt to though.

Feedback is always important though...positive as well as negative.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
So can a musician get success from Youtube? Yes

Will being on Youtube guarantee me success? No.

Do I have a chance to get noticed and get my stuff out there? Yes.

Does that mean I'll be a gazillionaire? No.

This, pretty much.

You can use Youtube, but you won't get success ONLY from it.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Quote by Cornmaize
Feedback is always important though...positive as well as negative.

Oh i realize that, and i'm not discouraging anybody from using youtube as a tool, but god damn, there's negative feedback, then there's full retard feedback. Youtube is chock full of the latter.
Little Boots got her start playing synthesizers in her pajamas on youtube
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by Trowzaa

That must not be very big. I have no clue who that person is.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by bendystraw
Oh i realize that, and i'm not discouraging anybody from using youtube as a tool, but god damn, there's negative feedback, then there's full retard feedback. Youtube is chock full of the latter.

My band gets overwhelmingly positive feedback on youtube
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by izbbass
That must not be very big. I have no clue who that person is.

You're not english, you won't understand. Guitarist/singer from The Libertines, a very, very big and influential band.

Unfortunately it does work.
You are part of the rebel alliance, and a traitor.

Quote by BlackLuster

THOSE WERE THE DROIDS WE WERE LOOKING FOR

Success is spelled wrong. Clearly you were not successful in your english classes.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Pretty sure Rizzle Kicks started on YouTube, and they've exploded recently.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then