Poll: How do you view community college?
Poll Options
View poll results: How do you view community college?
It is a cheap alternative with equally as good education
31 44%
It is a cheap alternative with inferior education
23 32%
Saving the money isn't worth it. 4 years at Uni looks better
7 10%
I'm a prick who thinks that CC is just for r-tards
10 14%
Voters: 71.
Page 1 of 2
When you hear of a friend or someone going to community college do you just assume they're an idiot who will receive poor education there?

I see this a lot and it is frustrating."Oh, you're going to *insert your local CC*? Well then you must be a dumbass who has not been accepted into any of the schools you applied at."

Community college, at least where I am, seems to be on par with the education received at the state schools. Many professors teach at both a state university and the local community college. Hell, I have even had a professor at CC who has taught at Yale.

Going to community college is a great way of saving 30-50 thousand dollars by doing your general ed credits there and then transferring to a university and getting you degree from them.

So how do you view community colleges?

edit: Idk if non-americans have CC or the equivalent of that. But you can always google it to see what it is.
Last edited by High&Mighty at Oct 3, 2011,
As of right now, I have no plans to attend any college at all, but if I ever decide to, i'll be going to the community college near me.

I can't comment on how good the education is for the price, as I haven't experienced it first hand.
Last edited by institutions at Oct 3, 2011,
There are a lot of, we'll say not so educated looking people at my CC, but the education itself seems to be pretty well.
Quote by behind_you
They're good schools, but they're resume poison when you're trying to get hired.

Not really, because you get your Bachelors from somewhere elsel, and most employers don't even look at the school you went to, but more at the degree you got unless going into a highly specialized field like Lawyer or you're going to be a doctor, but then they're going to look at the Law school or medical school you went to.

So really, you're just justifying your expensive gen ed credits.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
The quality of education is worse and the degree is worth less in my opinion. While university might cost more the opportunity cost is far less.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
I'll probably go to a community college for my gen eds before transferring. I'd like to go to uni, but it's not very realistic for my situation.
Quote by Drmckool
The quality of education is worse and the degree is worth less in my opinion. While university might cost more the opportunity cost is far less.

Are you kidding me? Of course the degree is worth less, it's a two year degree. It's an associates. Most people don't stop at community college, though. They go on to get a degree at a 4 year college.
My college is embarassingly easy. The people in my classes are so ****ing stupid, most in my English class have no writing skills whatsoever, and i'm taking English II. I just don't understand how people could suck so bad at writing I guess.

I realize I sound like an arrogant prick.

CC is cheap, and I didn't have any money saved up for college, which is my reason for being at one.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
It's not as good. However, some of the best professors and education I've ever had were at CC. Some of them are brilliant but just don't want to be involved in the the prestige, work, and research that university professors must do.

However, the 200 level classes I've taken at my university are about the same as any class you'll find in CC.Though the professors and grading standards aren't as good, the material is about the same.

Professors are more hit and miss in CC, that's all.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
It really depends on the schools you're comparing.

Some community colleges can show up some four-year schools.

Others make middle school look good.

It's not a blanket statement.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by High&Mighty

Going to community college is a great way of saving 30-50 thousand dollars by doing your general ed credits there and then transferring to a university and getting you degree from them.

30-50 thousand for just 2 years? I'm not even paying remotely close to that and I'm at an actual University.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
They're stepping stones.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Those who have gone to large state universities, such as myself, will be the first to tell you that the education there is no better than a Community College.

In my opinion, the first two years should be at a community college. Ask yourself, what offers a better educational experience: Chemistry 101 with 500 people in an auditorium or Chemistry 101 with 30 people with a teacher who knows your name?

The general electives and basic sciences can be done much cheaper and with equal or greater education.

Also, it doesn't take a top of the class, prestigious professor to teach the basic courses. I could teach Chemistry 101.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Last edited by CrunchyRoll at Oct 3, 2011,
"Saving the money isn't worth it. 4 years at Uni looks better"

To counter this, employer's look at the last school you went to.

When a student at a 4 year uni finishes 2 years, they don't get anything. When a CC finishes 2 years before transferring, they get an Associates.

It also depends on your major as to whether what school you go to is important enough.
Quote by bradulator
My college is embarassingly easy. The people in my classes are so ****ing stupid, most in my English class have no writing skills whatsoever, and i'm taking English II. I just don't understand how people could suck so bad at writing I guess.

I realize I sound like an arrogant prick.

CC is cheap, and I didn't have any money saved up for college, which is my reason for being at one.

Wait, I just realized I go to a 4 year college which makes the shittiness of it even more embarassing
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by TSmitty6

Professors are more hit and miss in CC, that's all.

I would have to agree with this. Though, you do probably get more dud teachers, I don't think there are that much more of them at CC.
I went to CC and then transferred. It's all how much effort you put into it. I've had classes at CC that were harder at my current school, UC Irvine, and visa versa. I feel like I got a decent education from the CC.
Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shit?

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
30-50 thousand for just 2 years? I'm not even paying remotely close to that and I'm at an actual University.

15-25 thousand a year is the price I most usually see. You don't?
Quote by Ganoosh
They're stepping stones.

This.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by metaldud536
"Saving the money isn't worth it. 4 years at Uni looks better"

To counter this, employer's look at the last school you went to.

When a student at a 4 year uni finishes 2 years, they don't get anything. When a CC finishes 2 years before transferring, they get an Associates.

It also depends on your major as to whether what school you go to is important enough.

This, also an added benefit is that 2 years into college you have an associates which means as a Junior in college I will be more higherable than most of you as Juniors in college and I will be better equipped to pay for my 4 year school when I get there.
It really depends on the school, some are pretty comparable in quality to other universities and some are much, much worse. If you have a good CC College and had bad grades in High School it's a great way to transition to a better school.
Quote by High&Mighty
15-25 thousand a year is the price I most usually see. You don't?

You said 30-50 thousand for just gen eds in your first post. Not 15-25
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Yeah, 2 years of CC or 2 years at uni costing 15-25 a year. So that would be 2 years at CC costing you only a few grand or 2 years at Uni costing you 30-50 thousand dollars.
The quality of education is the same, most of my professors also teach at universities. The difference is that you can't get anything better than an Associate's degree. On the plus side though, you can get vocational certificates which we all know result in secure, decent-paying jobs.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
The quality of education is the same, most of my professors also teach at universities. The difference is that you can't get anything better than an Associate's degree. On the plus side though, you can get vocational certificates which we all know result in secure, decent-paying jobs.

You may knock it, but some of those trade school aspects can lead to quite a bit of success, though many are bullshit. Like I love the people who think they can become a nurse in two years at their local Community College, or at least a well paid nurse. There was also some advertisement I saw recently for a Harley Davidson mechanic and it was just rediculous. If you're going to be a mechanic why specialize in one vehicle and one brand. Mechanic is actually one of those jobs a vocational certificate benefits, but no Harley Davidson Mechanic.
Quote by tayroar
You may knock it, but some of those trade school aspects can lead to quite a bit of success, though many are bullshit. Like I love the people who think they can become a nurse in two years at their local Community College, or at least a well paid nurse. There was also some advertisement I saw recently for a Harley Davidson mechanic and it was just rediculous. If you're going to be a mechanic why specialize in one vehicle and one brand. Mechanic is actually one of those jobs a vocational certificate benefits, but no Harley Davidson Mechanic.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I apologize if I did. There will always be a need for mechanics, plumbers, etc and they're notoriously highly paid compared to the training it takes.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
I wasn't being sarcastic, I apologize if I did. There will always be a need for mechanics, plumbers, etc and they're notoriously highly paid compared to the training it takes.

My 7th grade art teacher told me drop out and become a trashman/garbage worker/whatever, and at least i'd get paid more than her.

I feel like that is related.

(Edit: I would call myself "The Trashman" and wear a cool superhero costume. My nemesis would by "The Recycler")
Last edited by institutions at Oct 3, 2011,
Quote by High&Mighty
Yeah, 2 years of CC or 2 years at uni costing 15-25 a year. So that would be 2 years at CC costing you only a few grand or 2 years at Uni costing you 30-50 thousand dollars.

I was talking about how you said 30-50 costs that much just to do your gen eds.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I was talking about how you said 30-50 costs that much just to do your gen eds.

Most of your classes your first two years are gen ed classes.
Quote by High&Mighty
Most of your classes your first two years are gen ed classes.

Which goes to my point how 2 years doesn't cost 30-50 thousand unless you're going to somewhere like Vanderbilt or Cornell.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I go to community college right now, but am going to transfer to a four year school at the end of the year.

I guess some of them are bad. Mine just happens to be in the top 15 two year schools in the country. If I can keep my grades up I will probably get some good scholarships since I'm already getting offers.

Pretty good since it cost less then 5 grand a year.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
My senior year in high school everyone was chatting about what college they are going to and how they got accepted(myself included). Funny thing was, as soon as everyone got their fasfa stuff back, just about everyone switched to going to a CC then transferring to their dream university. Its going to me $20-30k.
And besides, about half of the professors at my CC have or currently do teach at the near by university and they say that they use the same materials and whatnot.
Oh and its free for me to go to school as of now, so I won't have debt until I transfer.
Last edited by midnight ride at Oct 3, 2011,
As for the cost thing, in Georgia there's a program that pays 90% of tuition at an in-state public school if you have a 3.2 GPA in high school. And it's 100% if you have a 3.7. I know Florida has a similar thing, not sure about other states.

So for the only reason I see for someone to go to a community college is either if they didn't get good enough grades in high school to get into a four year school, or if they only want a 2 year degree for whatever reason. In my fine state, at least.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
I go to community college and most of my classes are fairly challenging and have good teachers. I haven't been here long enough to make a final judgment, but from what I've seen so far the educational standards are pretty good. And when you consider the price difference from a regular college, you get WAY more bang for your buck at a CC.
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
Last edited by teachmeviolence at Oct 3, 2011,
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Which goes to my point how 2 years doesn't cost 30-50 thousand unless you're going to somewhere like Vanderbilt or Cornell.

dude, we both agreed that the usual price for a university is 15-25 grand a year, right? So if you spent your first two years doing gen ed at Uni that is 30-50 grand for the two years. As opposed to doing the 2 years of gen ed classes at CC which is a lot cheaper. Cornell would be like 70 grand for two years or something like that.
Quote by tayroar
This, also an added benefit is that 2 years into college you have an associates which means as a Junior in college I will be more higherable than most of you as Juniors in college and I will be better equipped to pay for my 4 year school when I get there.

I hate being a grammar nazi, but really? Also, why would I care that you have better employment chances after only two years? I would still have two more years of studying to go, and the degree I get at the end would be many times more valuable.

I'd say at least 60% of the kids in my graduating class at my high school are now going to the local community college. If you have no other option (financial reasons, etc) then of course it's better than nothing, but if nothing else the new experiences you get from going away to a four year college are so much more valuable in the long run.
Quote by Ganoosh
As for the cost thing, in Georgia there's a program that pays 90% of tuition at an in-state public school if you have a 3.2 GPA in high school. And it's 100% if you have a 3.7. I know Florida has a similar thing, not sure about other states.

Wow that's ridiculously easy.

I don't really look down on community college. While the actual education itself may be alright, they're usually lacking in program diversity and funding. Less funding means less facilities and depending on your department, that may hamper your learning potential. I don't really see the point of taking "general education" classes at one. Around here at least many of the credits are non-transferable because the universities don't trust them or they don't match the curriculum well enough should you wish to transfer to a university. Even if you do, general education doesn't mean a lot. I'm a first year engineering student and my calculus courses are different from those in life sciences, biology or business. Some universities can even be more program-specific, having different chemistry courses between engineering and general science, for example.

I don't particularly think community college is a great way to go unless it's a necessity.

Quote by samick007

I'd say at least 60% of the kids in my graduating class at my high school are now going to the local community college.

Same here. Many are my friends and I ask what they're taking and the usual reply is "general arts courses" and they're not in a specific program. In other words, wasting money and going nowhere. I could maybe accept "figuring out what I want to do" as an excuse, but do you really need to be blowing as much money on books and such as I am to do that?
Last edited by Avedas at Oct 3, 2011,
Quote by Ganoosh

So for the only reason I see for someone to go to a community college is either if they didn't get good enough grades in high school to get into a four year school, or if they only want a 2 year degree for whatever reason. In my fine state, at least.

Georgia also likes to kill people.
Page 1 of 2