I bought an electric guitar and a small amp a week or so ago and I am wondering the easiest and most fun way to go about learning to play guitar. I Got learn and master guitar videos but they are not very interesting and that is a bit of a problem as I have mild ADD so paying attention to something that I don't enjoy doesn't work so well for me. I've heard of people learning to read tabs and learning guitar just by playing, this seems like it would be great for me as I learn by doing. It sounds too good to be true though, so there must be some problem with this method.
Can anyone recommend me the best way for me to learn?
Thanks!
Reading tabs for guitar is like reading a recipe from a cookbook. It tells you what to do, but not how to do it. This is fine for most people, but for others it might be a bit difficult.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
Yes there are problems. If you pick up bad habits theres no one to correct you.
I am largely self taught and had a hell of a time correcting my picking and left hand placement.
Also trying to play with a metronome after 2.5 years without (bad idea).
To start with learn a few songs and learn chords. Open chords. As you get better try to get a teacher or play with friends/ find a band to really improve or fix any sloppy crap you may have picked up.
You're going to have to dig deep inside yourself and really find something fun about boring practicing, because that's the only way. You have to learn the basics, and learn them right, and then move on to playing songs.

Or you could always master Rockband 3 pro mode
Quote by W4RP1G
You're going to have to dig deep inside yourself and really find something fun about boring practicing, because that's the only way. You have to learn the basics, and learn them right, and then move on to playing songs.

Or you could always master Rockband 3 pro mode

Well by basics do you mean learning all the chords first and then start on the tabs? I don't mind practicing chords by just looking at a picture of them and following, it's the boring ass videos and long paragraphs explaining them.
Yeah, the best option is find a style of music your keen on Youtube should help. Go about listening to some songs get to knowit first then try and find tabs of learn by ear but you are better off learning basuc techniques first. UG has got some tutorials.
Eastwood LA125EQ

_________
Crybaby Wah Standard
Boss SuperChorus

Voodoo Chile )
learning guitar (or any instrument) isn't easy or fun so your on the wrong track already. play because you enjoy it (this differs from fun but serves the same function). if it was easy and not kinda boring to start with then everybody would do it. it's not plain and simple. this is where you seperate the boys from the men. learning to play is about discipline and hard work. not to say it can't be enjoyable but honestly it is a little frustrating at the beginning. there is no "easy" way you just have to practice. as for fun well i consider learning to play to be serious business so i view it as something you have to love and enjoy rather than it being "fun". don't mean to sound negative just want to get my point across.

you need to stay focused on the basics, chords and perhaps the pentatonic scale first. once you can play the basic open chords and learn the E and A position barre chords then you'll have the tools to play songs. if you try to learn songs through tabs without learning the basics then you will be lost and not be really able to play.
Teacher.

Practice.

It's boring.

But you'll get better.

And it'll get very fun. But if you really enjoy it you'll enjoy the practising and teaching like I did
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Yeah, it's not going to be fun after the new purchase high wears off until you can string together some chords for the first time. Then it becomes fun.

Look up easy songs, find one that you like and start practicing.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
I definitely recommend lessons, so you can both see yourself progressing on a weekly basis and get input about proper technique from a teacher. Outside of lessons, do the boring warmups and whatnot (scale and chord practicing) for a few minutes, then learn songs you want to learn. That way you get a good mix of fun in your practice schedule. That's what it's all about, but it does take a little patience with the boring stuff to feel comfortable with the instrument.

But the most important thing that helped me was to play with friends as much as possible. Jamming is the best practice tool because you can play for hours upon hours and it feels like nothing. You'll pick up on other techniques and styles as well.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
:P Oi this is not meant in a negative way, but you picked the wrong instrument.

Guitar is faaaar from easy, practicing will be really tedious and boring at the beginning,
you will have to pay attention for hours to get good and do the same thing countless of times.. go get someone that kicks your ass and makes you practice or you wont get far :P
I know Em,G,C and D so far. I tried looking at some tabs but what confuses me is which fingers to use.
Can't believe anyone hasn't suggested this yet. Jam with other people. Seriously. When I first started out, I got my buddy to teach me, he was a crappy teacher all we really did was learn songs and jam them out, disregarding any technique analysis or practice routines. Sure I wasn't learning as well as I could but I had someone to look up to and having someone to jam with every week I think is what made me really get into guitar and stick with it until today.

Edit: hurrr someone actually did say something about playing with friends, I'll just be reinforcing it then.
Last edited by TechIndustrial at Oct 20, 2011,
I saw someone mentioning Rockband 3 Pro mode...but I'd definitely recommend Rocksmith over that if you have a PS3 or Xbox360. I didn't try it myself..but from what I've seen it looks brilliant... it lets you use a real guitar, and it has both the rockband/guitar hero scrolling notes for you to hit when playing songs, and then a couple of mini games.
I saw a guitar world video this morning that showed them playing a zombie mini game, where you had to hit the correct chords that pop up on screen to activate some mini guns to mow down zombies before they get to you
It looked like an incredibly good way to learn the guitar imo.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
I've never been a guy who would go, "All right. Today, I'll practice this and this."

I just pick a song I like which is just out of my reach, then learn it. Guitar's never been boring for me (beyond the random chord wankery in my first few months, where I was really just doing rubbish on the guitar, not knowing what to do), but my approach is also probably the reason why I'm not as good as I think I should be.
Pick a song you like and look up the chords in a book or online. Then play the chords and sing the song. If you like it it will be fun. When you get fed up do it again with another song. Repeat until you feel likegoing back to one of the previous songs.

This will teach you chord shapes and get you used to changing chords in a fun way. And you'll have something to show for it. You can sing some songs to people, which is always nice when somebody says "Play us something then!". You can have a sing-song, which is always cool and what girls like more than random widdlery.

Then, you can start transcribing some of the licks form one of the songs you like. Just the intro, or a few of the bits from the solo. You will get irritated and bored at this point, but that's fine, we all do, ADD sufferers or not. Just move on to another bit of the solo, or even another song, and transcribe some of that.

Transcribing by the way is the art of listening to a little bit of a solo, then trying to work out on your guitar how to play it. You may have to slow it down (there are tools and applications out there to help with this) and listen to the same few seconds over and over. But it is the best way.

Again, just keep the interest level up by moving on to new songs. You don't have to completely transcribe a whole song. It isn't the law. Your ear will improve, and one day you will be able to listen to a song and in one or two passes get it down cold.

But - and here' the thing many of us forget - you have a whole lifetime to get to that stage. You cannot do it quickly. You will never get to be as good a guitarist as [insert the name of any guitarist you like] without spending years working at it. But you don't have to spend those years on one song. It should be fun, and that's a lesson for everyone. It's a hobby, and should give you a whole lifetime of pleasure. If you ever get lucky enough to make a living from it, that's a bonus. Playing an instrument is a journey, not a destination. You have to have fun on the journey. Taking detours (into new songs you like) is allowed.
Quote by Visionist

Can anyone recommend me the best way for me to learn?
Thanks!

Sorry mate, I've got bad news for you: this ain't gonna be easy
As for making it fun, learn a song you really like. Think about playing it in front friends and making them jealous...or with friends, in a band....or to your family, make them go wow...or to the ladies, and you just might get laid.
What got me through it was the love of music and the excitement of playing in a band.
Hell, everyone sucks big time in the beginning.
Jimmy Page used to strum a single chord throughout a song when he was in a skiffle group, who thought that he would create the greatest guitar solo in the world?
Just keep going on, eventually it will come to you
I learned some melodies that I really liked each contained some new technique after practicing it a lot I managed to play the melody I like + I learned a new technique. I only learned the melodies that I really liked and felt like I could learn them. If it was too hard I'd learn something else an come back to it later.
Quote by TechIndustrial
Can't believe anyone hasn't suggested this yet. Jam with other people. Seriously. When I first started out, I got my buddy to teach me, he was a crappy teacher all we really did was learn songs and jam them out, disregarding any technique analysis or practice routines. Sure I wasn't learning as well as I could but I had someone to look up to and having someone to jam with every week I think is what made me really get into guitar and stick with it until today.

Edit: hurrr someone actually did say something about playing with friends, I'll just be reinforcing it then.

You got to it first...

Best way to learn... ONCE THE BASICS ARE LEARNED (Chords, hand position, perhaps a few scales) which as has been stated before is tedious and not much fun, but how fast you learn them is entirely up to how much you practice. Then get with a few guys, grab hold, and hang on... you'll start putting tricks in your bag in no time...

Good Luck
Quote by Papabear505
You got to it first...

Best way to learn... ONCE THE BASICS ARE LEARNED (Chords, hand position, perhaps a few scales) which as has been stated before is tedious and not much fun, but how fast you learn them is entirely up to how much you practice. Then get with a few guys, grab hold, and hang on... you'll start putting tricks in your bag in no time...

Good Luck

I know Em,G,C and D at the moment, I have a chart printed with A,B,F etc but I am just really not sure where to go next, I don't have anyone that I can play with right now.
If you don't have anyone to jam with right now, keep working on basics... Let me recommend a book, and don't take this personally... "Guitar For Dummies" It helped me break some of the forementioned bad habits that I've had for years, and taught me a few things that I probably should have learned in the first place...
Honestly, I didn't even find it that bad when I started. I had a friend's dad teach me how to read tabs, I came on here, found one, and learned what I could. Then I practiced it a lot, and eventually moved on to more difficult things. Maybe I just didn't have as much of an initial learning curve, but I was self taught for 3 months, and I was fine when I got a teacher.

tl;dr: Learn a song you like that sounds easy, play it until you know it well, then move to a harder one. Check out any foreign techniques you come across.
I've just been listening and playing to my favorite bands' albums.

All my guitar influences did it that way and it's served me just fine after all these years.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.