Page 1 of 6
I'm wholly generalizing here, I know. I've met plenty of girls with a "good" taste in music.

With all this I mean not the usual tripe you only listen on the radio and I know having good taste is all a matter of opinion.

I don't want to start a "Hurr durr, Metal sucks!" or "Herp derp Metal's the br00tz" discussion or anything, I just want to focus mainly on the genders.

Because the way I see it, guys will listen to music and try to understand it. I think that's what draws us so much to play guitar and to learn and say what you want, more guys play guitar than girls. It's also an artform for us, we are always looking to create new things, maybe to impress others or impress ourselves, or simply to enjoy it!

However, girls on the other hand, will listen to music to FEEL it. Don't believe me? Look at how successful "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt is, or that stupid Delilah song. In themselves they aren't terrible songs, but they seem to exist almost solely to make girls feel secure and make profit.

Other bands, like Maroon 5 and the Script also have a crapload of songs in their repertoire related to "chick feelings" and they'll be much more popular among girls than say Nirvana or Thrice.

I thought about this when I was talking to a girl about music and she said her favourite song at the moment was "Only Girl in the World" by Rihanna because it made her feel like she was the only girl in the world. Nevermind the fact that, and I'm sure many of you guitarists will agree, musically it's absolute dogshit.

So, is it safe to say that a high percentage (not all) of girls have shit taste in music?
Girls liking soppy love songs is the same as children liking Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, or wannabe gangsters liking "gangsta rap".

It's catering to a market. Doesn't mean the people who like one of the types of music have a shit taste in music.

Also, for every girl who likes a crap piece of music there will probably be a boy who does too.
Last edited by Random3 at Oct 3, 2011,
I'm just going to say yes cause the pit is always so moaaaaaaaaaany and whiny about stupid stuff like this.

That's right, I said it. WANNA FIGHT BOUT IT?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I understand what he's getting at... I agree.

I have never heard a female discuss the musical qualities of a song. Ever. I know they're out there, but I have yet to meet one. They're usually swooning over the singer or over-rated guitarists that wear odd hats.
My girlfriend can't understand the words on the radio.

If you ask her what type of music she likes she will say "love songs".
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I'm just going to say yes cause the pit is always so moaaaaaaaaaany and whiny about stupid stuff like this.

^this
I'm going to say yes. Most girls I've dated have shit taste in music. At least to my taste. I've tried to get them into my stuff but it only worked with one. Bless her soul.

And for the record, "The Academy Is" is a shit band.
As well as All American Rejects..
Quote by korinaflyingv
everyone has shit taste in music

This. Because everything is subjectively shit. And everything is also subjectively the best.
Quote by CV334
I understand what he's getting at... I agree.

I have never heard a female discuss the musical qualities of a song. Ever. I know they're out there, but I have yet to meet one. They're usually swooning over the singer or over-rated guitarists that wear odd hats.

exactly, i understand that music is subjective, but I haven't met any girls that enjoy songs for the art AND the accessibility
Quote by Philip_pepper
I'm wholly generalizing here, I know. I've met plenty of girls with a "good" taste in music.

With all this I mean not the usual tripe you only listen on the radio and I know having good taste is all a matter of opinion.

I don't want to start a "Hurr durr, Metal sucks!" or "Herp derp Metal's the br00tz" discussion or anything, I just want to focus mainly on the genders.

Because the way I see it, guys will listen to music and try to understand it. I think that's what draws us so much to play guitar and to learn and say what you want, more guys play guitar than girls. It's also an artform for us, we are always looking to create new things, maybe to impress others or impress ourselves, or simply to enjoy it!

However, girls on the other hand, will listen to music to FEEL it. Don't believe me? Look at how successful "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt is, or that stupid Delilah song. In themselves they aren't terrible songs, but they seem to exist almost solely to make girls feel secure and make profit.

Other bands, like Maroon 5 and the Script also have a crapload of songs in their repertoire related to "chick feelings" and they'll be much more popular among girls than say Nirvana or Thrice.

I thought about this when I was talking to a girl about music and she said her favourite song at the moment was "Only Girl in the World" by Rihanna because it made her feel like she was the only girl in the world. Nevermind the fact that, and I'm sure many of you guitarists will agree, musically it's absolute dogshit.

So, is it safe to say that a high percentage (not all) of girls have shit taste in music?

I hope you slapped her for that.
Quote by Duffman123
I hope you slapped her for that.

+ five fingers.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I know a girl who had never heard of Free Bird...
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Afroboy267

She is a perfect exception to the rule.
We're all alright!
Quote by SMH07
Theres no such thing as bad taste in music..

Fact. But what I think the TS and many other people like him are getting at is that more women listen to one, single genre of music than males listen to one single genre of music.

I just think males tend to be more diverse, or "cerebral" in their music choices.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by SMH07

Shut up hippy.
Quote by rgrockr
I know a girl who had never heard of Free Bird...

Good. It's a horrible, horrible song.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I can't think of a conversation I've had with a girl about music that was in any depth, except my girlfriend but we have vastly differing tastes in music (I listen to Dream Theater, she thinks any song longer than 6 minutes or so is showing off).

But at the same time I'm sure there are plenty of males who would say stupid things about music if I was to have a conversation with them.
Quote by Philip_pepper

I've met just as many stagnant guitarists who just want to use it to play songs they like with tabs, and little more. Hell, it's arguable UG caters to them. Nothing really wrong with that, but it's not what I'd call an art form being used to create new things.

I listen to music to feel it as well. I'll doublecheck for you, but I'm pretty sure I had a dick last time I looked. Music's therapeutic, and it makes you feel good. I don't really see what's wrong with feeling it now and then instead of rabidly analyzing it.

Never listened to it, so can't really comment on it - I don't comment on what I don't know. Also, if we're going to be taking a single person's words as an example to base an argument of a little less than half the planet(Since you've said multiple times you're generalizing most women, not all) on, then I could have an absolute field day here.

Given my singing instructor is a woman, my music theory teacher is a woman, and both of them have doctorates in music performance and, in the latter's case, a degree in music theory, I'm going to go ahead and say

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Everyone listens to music to feel it, I'm pretty sure that's what art's all about.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by whywefight
exactly, i understand that music is subjective, but I haven't met any girls that enjoy songs for the art AND the accessibility

Perfectly put.
Quote by Random3
I can't think of a conversation I've had with a girl about music that was in any depth, except my girlfriend but we have vastly differing tastes in music (I listen to Dream Theater, she thinks any song longer than 6 minutes or so is showing off).

Gotta say I miss my high school theory class for quite another reason then. The girls were pretty awesome to talk to about this stuff.
We're all alright!
In my experience there are just as many guys that only listen to Rihanna and music of that nature.
Quote by SMH07

Quote by ninnipinni93
In my experience there are just as many guys that only listen to Rihanna and music of that nature.

They're not real men.
Quote by necrosis1193
I've met just as many stagnant guitarists who just want to use it to play songs they like with tabs, and little more. Hell, it's arguable UG caters to them. Nothing really wrong with that, but it's not what I'd call an art form being used to create new things.

I listen to music to feel it as well. I'll doublecheck for you, but I'm pretty sure I had a dick last time I looked. Music's therapeutic, and it makes you feel good. I don't really see what's wrong with feeling it now and then instead of rabidly analyzing it.

Never listened to it, so can't really comment on it - I don't comment on what I don't know. Also, if we're going to be taking a single person's words as an example to base an argument of a little less than half the planet(Since you've said multiple times you're generalizing most women, not all) on, then I could have an absolute field day here.

Given my singing instructor is a woman, my music theory teacher is a woman, and both of them have doctorates in music performance and, in the latter's case, a degree in music theory, I'm going to go ahead and say

All I got from this is blah blah blah im so caring to how womenz feel I es such a good person blah blah blah I take things too serious in the pit blah blah blah me and my girl are on the rag together lalablah blah blah.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by SMH07

Wrong.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Philip_pepper

No. It's a difference of opinion. How is this ^ reason any better than this v reason?

It's just two different ways of thinking. You call it 'musically dogshit', and for the examples you give I personally agree; however if the two sexes really do like two different 'types' of music, then they probably think the same about 'ours'.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
All I got from this is blah blah blah im so caring to how womenz feel I es such a good person blah blah blah I take things too serious in the pit blah blah blah me and my girl are on the rag together lalablah blah blah.

Quiet Charlie, nobody pays attention to you anymore.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
A girl I know likes classical, jazz, and dream theater... but she also loves christian pop music. So I guess it kinda trades off.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.