Hey guys,

I got bored today, so I did a reamp using my 5150 and Soldano 2x12 to see if there were any big differences between my SM57, fake SM57, Beta57A and SM58, and I figured I'd share the results with you guys. Maybe they'll be of use to someone

Here's a short video I made with the recordings, so you can hear each one compared to the SM57:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlKlewX04E0

And here are the individual reamps, so you can load them up and hear the difference yourself:

SM57: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4018922/Tone%20Tests/Mic%20Shootout/Shure%20SM57.mp3

Fake SM57: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4018922/Tone%20Tests/Mic%20Shootout/Fake%20Shure%20SM57.mp3

Beta57A: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4018922/Tone%20Tests/Mic%20Shootout/Shure%20Beta57A.mp3

SM58 (grille removed): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4018922/Tone%20Tests/Mic%20Shootout/Shure%20SM58.mp3
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
sm7s and sennheiser e906 sounds beautiful.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Very well done. It would also be nice to have just one guitar track playing so you can focus in on the mic without all the other instruments, but it does help sometimes to have a little context.

I'd have to say that I liked the Beta 57 the best out of those.
Quote by fastlanestoner
sm7s and sennheiser e906 sounds beautiful.

Wut

Quote by sandyman323
Very well done. It would also be nice to have just one guitar track playing so you can focus in on the mic without all the other instruments, but it does help sometimes to have a little context.

I'd have to say that I liked the Beta 57 the best out of those.

Yeah, I actually was planning on doing a second video with just the guitar, but I didn't have enough time this afternoon, probably get it done tomorrow
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Wut

Sennheiser e906 is a mic specifically designed for guitar cabs and toms and stuff.

Shure sm7 is a very versatile large diaphragm *dynamic* mic that is very, very nice.

Neither of them are what you tested. Both of them are, arguably, better than what you tested. Both of them are measurably more expensive than what you tested. The e906 is about $225, and the sm7 is about $400.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Sennheiser e906 is a mic specifically designed for guitar cabs and toms and stuff.

Shure sm7 is a very versatile large diaphragm *dynamic* mic that is very, very nice.

Neither of them are what you tested. Both of them are, arguably, better than what you tested. Both of them are measurably more expensive than what you tested. The e906 is about $225, and the sm7 is about $400.

CT

I know what they are, I was just confused why they were mentioned in the context of my thread.

Actually, I own both of those mics, as well as the e609. The purpose of this thread was to compare the Shure models comparable to the SM57 in sound and price, I thought about putting the e609 in there, since it's in a similar price range as the rest of the mics I used, but TBH, I don't like that mic very much on heavily distorted guitars and I was tired of hearing the same recording for an hour

Also, the SM7b is $310 brand new on eBay
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 3, 2011,
Not able to listen to this at this time of the morning but thanks for doing the comparison. A '57 and an e906 together are what I use these days with the e906 slightly off-centre and the '57 off-axis next to the e906, or on separate speakers I find having both off-axis and the '57 slightly more off-centre gives a nice sound when summed together.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Not able to listen to this at this time of the morning but thanks for doing the comparison. A '57 and an e906 together are what I use these days with the e906 slightly off-centre and the '57 off-axis next to the e906, or on separate speakers I find having both off-axis and the '57 slightly more off-centre gives a nice sound when summed together.

Yeah, I like the Sennheisers for lighter distorted tones and cleans, but not so much on heavy tones for some reason. I usually just do Fredman micing with 2 57s, or an SM7b and 57.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com