Hello all,

So I went to guitar center today to try out a few guitars/amps. I tried out a CV telecaster, fender standard tele (for the fun of it), squier bullet and an epiphone les Paul 100, all through a mustang 1 amp. I did try out a g dec jr but I could not get it to work right but I wasn't to interested in it any way.
The CV tele was the one I was interested in playing the most and from the YouTube videos it seemed to have the best tonal versatility. What I really did not expect was how much I loved the feel of the epiphone 100. Just the way it felt was a lot more comfortable then the CV. The telecaster felt a bit awkward but I think it has the best tone potential for my musical taste. So I'm not sure what to do, I really like the epiphones feel but love the tone of the CV tele.
Do you think I can get nice country, blues and clean smooth rock sounds out of the epiphone? Or should I just go for the tele?

Thanks

Rachel
Decked out with a First act cheep $30 guitar and included blue pick .
Well the Epiphone 100 is about as far away from a real Les Paul as you can get under the "Les Paul" name. Try a real Paulie like the Standards before you make up your mind.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Well...

Teles and LP are a world away from each other. You can get some crazy lead tone from a tele, but less distortion. And a more disorton from a LP, buth a lot more depth, fatness(?) and warmth form the LP.
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Well...

Teles and LP are a world away from each other. You can get some crazy lead tone from a tele, but less distortion. And a more disorton from a LP, buth a lot more depth, fatness(?) and warmth form the LP.

^This.
If you can't make up your mind, you can meet both guitars halfway and go for an Epiphone SG-400
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
I don't need any advice on quality. I know that the epiphone is a cheap guitar but I'm not going to buy one guitar and then never buy another again no mater what guitar I buy. I just was wondering if I could get nice clean maybe even twang sound from a LP style guitar.
I couldn't find a sg 400 at my GC but I really didn't have a lot of time to look over all the guitars I liked.
Not everyone has the same budget to work with when buying guitars. I have an Epi LP100 and it's not a terrible guitar. It's not high end by any means but it's affordable and I can make sounds on it I like, it holds a tune, and it plays well. There are better playing guitars out there but for the price, I think an LP100 is a good deal. Check used stuff too (lookin' for a trans-blue Epi LP myself but I got kids and bills). You may find an Epi LP standard for the same price as a new LP100. In stock form a Tele will be a bit twangy.... country sounding. An LP (even an LP100) will sound more full.
Don't write-off Epiphone as cheap. I don't have $2000 for a Gibson. How much of that $2000 is for quality and how much is for healthcare and etc (there's a whole debate here). I can pound my strings for hours on my Epi's and they don't drop their tune. What more do you need in a guitar? An Epiphone is good for the money.
I could defiantly afford a better les paul, I just didn't play the more expensive ones they had because I was short on time. I wish I could have played more to really see what I like. I think I'm going to go for the tele because it fits my tone style better. I wish I could have both in one.
Any suggestions on accessories to get for it? I'm thinking a CV tele and mustang 1 amp. I should be able to get the amp used for $60 or $70. So only about $420 with out any accessories. If you have any thoughts on a better guitar for my style of playing please let me know, I am willing to pay up to $400 for the guitar it's self.
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Well...

Amount of gain isn't based on shape of the guitar. And I'm pretty sure that both PAF's and standard telecaster pickups are somewhere near 7 ohms resistance for the output (correct me if I'm wrong). But the part about the tone is right. LP's are a lot more ballsy, while Tele's are pretty bright.
Where's Waldo?
I know that epiphone is a great guitar for a beginner, I know that gibsons $2000 guitars play better then epiphones $200 guitars, I dont know why people try to compare the two. I'm a beginner I don't need a guitar over $400. If a epiphone could play nice twangy country and rich blues I would buy it today but I don't think it will.
Quote by StarsandGuitars
I know that epiphone is a great guitar for a beginner, I know that gibsons $2000 guitars play better then epiphones $200 guitars, I dont know why people try to compare the two. I'm a beginner I don't need a guitar over $400. If a epiphone could play nice twangy country and rich blues I would buy it today but I don't think it will.

The LP100 would give you your rich blues for sure, but the tele is whats going to give you the twangy county sound. Niether will completely do both, however, but the Tele would be a better bet, IMO. A strat would be somewhere in the middle of both, and might be what you want. Have you considered a MIM strat?
Where's Waldo?
Don't let anyone tell you has to be a certain brand. If you want to hear some beautiful tones from a LP epi is capable of producing, then check out dennis dullea epihone les paul blues on youtube.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
I have looked a mim strats but I was thinking a CV 50s or 60s strat would be better of the two. My GC did not have any CV strats, I really wanted to try one out. The squier bullet I played didn't sound to good but the shape and feel was pretty nice.