I need help selecting a tube amp. I am open to suggestions to heads and combos. I would like to find something that has a solid, fat clean channel as well as a good overdrive/ distortion channel without it sounding like the amp is going to sizzle out and blow up. I'm open to all brands however, I've mainly been looking at Egnater, Orange, Jet City.

I play mainly blues. Think ala Robben Ford, B. B. King, Clapton, Trucks but I need the cleans to get a good funk scratch tone.

Thanks
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Quote by Angusman60
I play mainly blues. Think ala Robben Ford, B. B. King, Clapton, Trucks but I need the cleans to get a good funk scratch tone.

a dumble ods, roldand jazz chorus, 59 bassman and a prs dallas.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
i'm looking between 500 usd and 1200 usd
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
My gear is in my signature.
$500 - $1200 USD. That is Flexible.
I play blues, funk, jazz, rock, soul.
I'm a professional gigging musician close to Charlotte, NC

My Website
Based on the info you've provided and the price range (the upper end) I highly recommend checking out a used Bogner Shiva. Both channels are truly amazing.
I like the idea but it is way out of my budget. I've been looking at the Blackstar HT60 Solist. It seems to have good reviews and is versatile. I also like the Egnater Tweaker 40 but i hear Egnaters aren't roadworthy... In my experience Fenders are either too muddy or too shrill for me.

My Website
so you are only considering new amps?

changing a couple pre-amp tubes in most fenders can have a remarkable affect on the amp's tone.

i've not heard that an egnater isn't roadworthy. my personal experience with them is quite the opposite.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Check out the Egnater Renagade.....for the $$$ it's really good. With the separate main switch you have 4 footswitctable options from a 2 channel amp great cleans and lead channel. 18 or 65 watts and sounds great live or at bedroom levels.
Quote by Angusman60
I like the idea but it is way out of my budget. I've been looking at the Blackstar HT60 Solist. It seems to have good reviews and is versatile. I also like the Egnater Tweaker 40 but i hear Egnaters aren't roadworthy... In my experience Fenders are either too muddy or too shrill for me.

Which one is out of budget? If you say the Shiva then you need to do more research. Trust me, I know you can get one in your price range.
a thought on the lower end of your budget. try a Peavey Valveking. it has a good clean channel and the dirt channel can give you most of what you want (robben ford's tone might be asking a bit much but that would could be said for much more expensive amps as well). a speaker change will help the sound but you'd be suprised at how good the amp actually sounds.
Quote by mmjohn
Check out the Egnater Renagade.....for the $$$ it's really good. With the separate main switch you have 4 footswitctable options from a 2 channel amp great cleans and lead channel. 18 or 65 watts and sounds great live or at bedroom levels.

Beat me to it. Check out the Renegade for sure. Built like a tank, and to find an unpleasant tone actually takes a lot of effort, it just sounds good nearly any way you set it.
I was thinking the Egnater Rebel 20 head. I'd hook it up to my Fender 210

My Website
I like the Rebel. It's simple, but quite nice sounding. Also, you say you heard Egnaters aren't roadworthy? Check the Egnater FB page, plenty of on the road photos, and I'll personally state mine is a tank.
Would the rebel 20 give me enough power to get over drums etc? I'm also looking at the Bugera v55 head. My cab will handle about 50 watts

My Website
It should get over it easily. I run my Renegade at 18W and it's still insanely loud and pretty clean.
Quote by telemetal
It should get over it easily. I run my Renegade at 18W and it's still insanely loud and pretty clean.

+1
you should get the fender bassman. I have a blackface that was made in 1966 and I love it. It has that typical fender clean at low volumes but when the tubes get over driven this thing has as much distortion as any amp does.