I have a Marshall valvestate. What I need is the Marshall sound. Is there any peddle that has a real Marshall sound to it? Tone, distortion and all. Preferably tube but SS is totally cool. I have a Mesa Boogie V-twin, Vox Brit Boost. TS9 dx and getting a Fulltone 70. (being shipped now). That’s all good but still missing the sound of a real Marshall. With a good peddle I would replace the foot switch and not worry about the really noisy effects loop.
Why not sell all your gear, and save some more till you can find a marshall with with sound you're looking for.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
The Catalinbread DLS is built to be exactly that. I haven't used it, but I use the SFT with bass, and it's a great pedal, has a very wide range of gain, and is very sensitive to pick attack.

They have a pretty decent youtube presence, have a look at them.

I agree that getting a real marshall is where it's at, but you have decent enough gear that you might be able to get a little extra Worcestershire sauce out of a pedal, without a marshall.
Catalinbread DLS
Wampler Plextortion
Wampler Pinnacle
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
You can't get a real Marshall sound without a real Marshall. Common sense 101.

Amp tone is made up of a combination of preamp distortion, power amp distortion, components used in the amp, number of speakers, size of speakers, type of speakers, cab, where you are playing, and how loud you are playing. A pedal cannot replicate all of that.

All that aside, what is the "Marshall sound"? Marshall has made a ton of amps.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You can't get a real Marshall sound without a real Marshall. Common sense 101.

x 1,000,000,000,000
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Try a tubescreamer and fiddle around with all the settings you can. i.e. guitar/amp/tone knobs etc. Finally, as was mentioned above, you can only get so far. There are too many factors that contribute to the Marshall sound which you have yet to define, so beware.

Also, it's pedal.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
mojostompboxes.com
Thanks for the names, I'll check em out.

I know you can't get the total sound without the real thing. Just want something that sounds more like a Marshall than the valvestate does.

The effects loop on this thing is noisy as hell. I leave the reverb and the effects mix off to keep from getting a loud hum. Tried different outlets. Different houses...different buildings. Always with the results.
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.
I really hate ignorant people. Peddles are found on flowers. I'm not gonna waste my time helping you because I can tell that you have no idea what you really want
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
I really hate ignorant people. Peddles are found on flowers. I'm not gonna waste my time helping you because I can tell that you have no idea what you really want

you must really hate yourself then. a petal is found on flowers.
Quote by lbj273

Thank for taking the time to point out my spelling error. It doesn't make me ignorant. It makes me stupid... and by the way, the word I used means to sell... I don't feel so bad now. Hope that helped....LOL

Thanks again folks. Going for more of the vintage sound. Not quite as vintage as the sewing machine. ( I thought that was funny myself ) Liking the Wampler Plextortion at the moment. But not set in stone.

ethan_hanus, Thanks for the idea and link. I can replace pickups and pots in a guitar. However I'm not confident enough to pull a pedal apart and rework it.
Quote by rat jazz
Thank for taking the time to point out my spelling error. It doesn't make me ignorant. It makes me stupid... and by the way, the word I used means to sell... I don't feel so bad now. Hope that helped....LOL

Thanks again folks. Going for more of the vintage sound. Not quite as vintage as the sewing machine. ( I thought that was funny myself ) Liking the Wampler Plextortion at the moment. But not set in stone.

ethan_hanus, Thanks for the idea and link. I can replace pickups and pots in a guitar. However I'm not confident enough to pull a pedal apart and rework it.

Well, it's a $40 pedal, so if you screw it up, not a big loss. It's what I've been practicing modding on, and I haven't screwed it up yet, and I've gone through about 3 full mods on it.
Quote by Wolffgang
The Catalinbread DLS is built to be exactly that. I haven't used it, but I use the SFT with bass, and it's a great pedal, has a very wide range of gain, and is very sensitive to pick attack.

They have a pretty decent youtube presence, have a look at them.

I agree that getting a real marshall is where it's at, but you have decent enough gear that you might be able to get a little extra Worcestershire sauce out of a pedal, without a marshall.

+1 This is the one for you, trust us...
Quote by lbj273

FAIL!

I love all the talk that you can't get a Marshall tone without a Marshall. What about an AxeFx or even that amp that can completely replicate an amps tone. (I don't remember what it was; probably some German engineering magic) All those pedals mentioned can get you a good Marshally tone on a good amp. On a Valvestate however IDK, it might be better to get a new amp.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Oct 4, 2011,
depend what marshall you want .. a plexi or a high gain jcm 800-900 . it change everything .

one suggest the mad professor mighty red = way overpriced pedal . i dont know how mad professor survived in this world .. they sell their pedals for nearly 300 $ each for simple 3 knob pedal that everyone built for 100-120 .

Id suggest a wampler superplex or a mi audio crunch box . the mi audio crunch box with be higher on midrange .

the crunch box really have a "marshall " sound . or the tonebone radial hot british .

theres a few other .

IMo stay in the use 100-120 $ max for a marshall sound .

but it should get you close .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Oct 4, 2011,
Not really needing a high gain pedal. I have the Mesa Boogie V-twin and Vox Brit boost I can use to add gain if I need it. Plus the TS9 and soon to be added Fulltone 70. Plenty of combinations for higher gain. Really looking for a vintage rhythm sound. Guess I should of stated that in the first post.

On Ebay I noticed Catalinbread DLS has a knob where the switch used to be. Like knobs WAY more than switches. Flexibility is cool. Going to do a Youtube search for the new one. Like I said, nothing's set in stone yet.

ethan_hanus, one of these days I'm going to break down and try my hand at it.
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Thanks man, my sig was looking a tad outdated.

Quote by Kikuta

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Oct 4, 2011,
Petal it is. Hopefully my playing will improve faster than my spelling on this thread.

Found two Catalinbread DLS MK II with the two knob tone vids on Youtube. Unfortunately one has it with a fuzz petal and the other is a 'VS the real thing' vid but doesn't say what's what.
weehbo jcm drive
Mr. Zachary Vex on the fuzz probe: "Congratulations. You must be insane. Even I don't get how to use this pedal".
I like to thank everyone again for the help. I've gone from peddle to pedal to petal. And I have a Catalinbread dirty little secret on the way. Got a v2. Not the MK11. Should be here mid next week. Looking forward to seeing how it stacks with the Mesa and Vox.
general guitar gadgets has a pedal that says its like a Marshall in a box gives you the brown sound. Now that being said unless you buy a Marshall you still won't really have a marshall tone. your valve-state may not be a full tube, Marshall but is light years above the mg line. i have a friend who has one and he loves it even more then his hot rod deluxe . it may have a ss power amp but still gives you the marshall tube preamp.
Nothing to disputer there Mossejr. Nothing like the real all tube thing. If I had the 1K+ to drop on one I'd have it. I needed something to run in front of the amp so I wouldn't have to deal with the loud hum I get from the effects loop. It's been in a shop. They got it lower but not cleared up. I still have the Marshall tone (EQ) using the Valvestate.