Recorded a cover of a song synced up with the original track since all i have the capability of doing currently is recording guitar

is this okay? will i getting into trouble for this? I mean there are things like that on youtube everywhere and nothing happens, so i would imagine it'd be okay???

thanks
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
"Synced up with the original track"

Quite possibly will be removed. The general agreement is that covers are fine unless they use tracks directly from the source. Usually vocals. With youtube, there often is an exception to this though. If you can SEE the guitarist jamming along to the original track with no alterations to said track, they almost always leave that alone.

If it's just audio though.....don't be surprised if it gets removed. It does depend though. For awhile I did pop remixes using the original vocals. Sometimes it would just add a link to the original artist's track on itunes, other times I got emails from Sony or UMG etc telling me I was a bad boy and they had my track pulled.

Funny thing actually, I did a complete cover of a tune with the original vocals, but I re-did everything else with my own playing etc. Soundcloud removed it. So I re-upped it without the vocals and they never touched it lol
Last edited by CSMusic at Oct 4, 2011,
Quote by Metalmaker
I mean there are things like that on youtube everywhere and nothing happens, so i would imagine it'd be okay???

"All the other kids on YouTube are doing it" still doesn't make it okay. You really don't want to be the one guy who has the bad luck of catching a lawyer on a bad day and being made an example of.

Check the terms of service for SoundCloud and see what they allow. Regardless, using the original song as your backing track is probably not going to be kosher, whether you "get away with it" or not.
Quote by CarsonStevens
"All the other kids on YouTube are doing it" still doesn't make it okay. You really don't want to be the one guy who has the bad luck of catching a lawyer on a bad day and being made an example of.

Check the terms of service for SoundCloud and see what they allow. Regardless, using the original song as your backing track is probably not going to be kosher, whether you "get away with it" or not.

Yeah right, no lawyer would touch that. Especially since he's not selling it.
Do you not break into your neighbour's house because you fear you'll get in trouble, or because it is the wrong thing to do?

Does it make it okay if you take all of his stuff and indicate from whom it was stolen?

Using someone's work without their permission or without paying the required licensing is a violation of copyright.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
The best thing you can do is playing along to the original, but only upload the audio of your guitar track.
Quote by axemanchris
Do you not break into your neighbour's house because you fear you'll get in trouble, or because it is the wrong thing to do?

Does it make it okay if you take all of his stuff and indicate from whom it was stolen?

Using someone's work without their permission or without paying the required licensing is a violation of copyright.

CT

lol you have used this exact message a couple of times do you have it saved in a notepad file on your desktop?
The notepad file is a good suggestion. Thanks.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by CrossBack7
Yeah right, no lawyer would touch that. Especially since he's not selling it.

You might want to look into where the term "Foxed" came from within the video game modding community.* Lawyers would, in fact, touch that.

* In short, Fox Entertainment loved to send Cease & Desist letters to Quake modding teams who made mods based on their intellectual property. Note that I said "based on", not "using" - that means that all you had to do was call your mod "Alien Blasters" and they'd come knocking despite the fact that mods were not sold for profit and all the actual assets would be created by the mod team. It's the equivalent of being sued for recording a cover.
As previously said, it is technically illegal; however, since you aren't making money from it you probably won't run into issues with it...unless your track is REEEEALLY popular and comes to the attention of the original artist/label/publisher. Then they'll probably just slap your wrist and take it down
So, Darkness... you'd break into your neighbour's back yard and steal his bike if you thought that you could get away with this unless you were really obvious about it?

CT

Quote by axemanchris
So, Darkness... you'd break into your neighbour's back yard and steal his bike if you thought that you could get away with this unless you were really obvious about it?

CT

I'm not saying what is morally correct or not...he was wondering about the legal aspects of it, and I was simply stating that yes, it is illegal. period. however, unless its a big deal, like many plays or charging money, no one is gonna come after him for it. he can decide his own morals
Fair enough, but you sounded like you were using the rationale of "since you won't get in trouble, you're okay."

CT

@ axemanchris...

How does all this relate to your Green Day Tribute Band?

(not an accusation; just wondering how to do covers legally/morally without being signed by a major label to work out the details for me like happens for covers you hear on the radio or buy in a store).
Quote by Black'n'Tan
@ axemanchris...

(not an accusation; just wondering how to do covers legally/morally without being signed by a major label to work out the details for me like happens for covers you hear on the radio or buy in a store).

He's not using anything from the source material, people are re-recording it/playing it all and it's not ripping the works directly and claiming them as his own.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by CrossBack7
It's not like they're going to sue you. As long as you say it's a cover and the copyrights belong to their respective owners, then there will be no problem.

It's funny, this is so wrong it's actually the exact opposite of right.

By saying that the copyright belongs to someone else, you have acknowledged that you have broken the law, and that it is not yours. You would have no defense, and everything is your fault.

Of course, that won't really happen on soundcloud, you're probably not going to get caught. But, if you would like to do it legally, it's very easy and affordable:

Go to the Harry Fox Agency website and pay for a mechanical license to stream the song. You'll pay like $20 for the license and a few pennies for each stream.

Obviously that doesn't make much sense in your case, but I'm obligated to tell you how to go about this legally, since it is my profession

Quote by Black'n'Tan
@ axemanchris...

A tribute band doesn't record, they only play live. All live performances (in the US) are covered under the venue's blanket license with ASCAP/BMI (performing rights societies). ASCAP/BMI will look at what is performed in bars/venues across the country and pay artists accordingly.

This is completely separate from securing a license to record a cover or video recording. It only applies to in-person performance, and a video of said performance is not covered by ASCAP/BMI, but instead needs a proper license from the publisher.

Bonus Info:
In order to locate the publisher of a song, there are search functions on the ASCAP and BMI websites (you have to try each, or check inside the album liner notes to see which society the artist is affiliated with).

Ironic Info:
I'm typing all of this at work right now instead of doing my actual job haha
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Aug 23, 2012,