Wait, Australians use money?

I thought you guys just paid for everything by comparing moustaches, wrestling the alligator int he other guy's yard, or something else badass.

Though on second thought, that would explain why the Australian dollar is weak right now...
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
Wait, Australians use money?

I thought you guys just paid for everything by comparing moustaches, wrestling the alligator int he other guy's yard, or something else badass.

Though on second thought, that would explain why the Australian dollar is weak right now...

When they have to, they trade koala pelts that they carry around in kangaroo pouches.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
yea i reckon....i'm sad. no longer so economical to get pedals from overseas.

Whatever. Even if the dollar is worth less, nearly everything is cheaper in America.
Thank christ I bought my ESP from America a week or two ago...
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by XianXiuHong
But everything is more expensive here in Aus anyway so we end up losing our savings anyway

Well yeah, but we paid more. So we lose it all to rent/utilities/etc, so I figure if I can save some money by importing, why not?
Quote by devourke
Australia sucks.

You take that back

And yeah, this is why I mass purchased things a month or two ago.
Our dollar seems to go up when things are optimistic and down when things are pessimistic. This is due to the USD being seen as safe, whilst the AUD is seen as more of an investment. When things are looking bad you take money out f risky investments.

And what does this all mean? Probably that the dollar will go even lower in the coming months, (especially as it looks like Greece may default, and this could trigger a global recession). But then it will probably rise, although my opinion is that it won't be so high as it peaked (1.10USD).
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
You take that back

Sorry bro, but I've still got to make of Australia seeing as it's in Europe.

Australia's so fat that it's in all of the continents
Quote by mulefish
You take that back

And yeah, this is why I mass purchased things a month or two ago.
Our dollar seems to go up when things are optimistic and down when things are pessimistic. This is due to the USD being seen as safe, whilst the AUD is seen as more of an investment. When things are looking bad you take money out f risky investments.

And what does this all mean? Probably that the dollar will go even lower in the coming months, (especially as it looks like Greece may default, and this could trigger a global recession). But then it will probably rise, although my opinion is that it won't be so high as it peaked (1.10USD).

My question is why does Greece's situation affect Australia so strongly?
globalisation
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by XianXiuHong

I'm guessing the EU might try and pour money into Greece to keep it afloat.

Only a guess though.
Good. Should reduce our current account deficit. Should also encourage domestic spending.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Last edited by breadstick at Oct 4, 2011,
I have US investments, so awww yeah increased cash flows
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by XianXiuHong

Quote by TOMMYB22
globalisation

Basically this. If Greece collapses everyone Knows shit is hitting the fan. Thus they take there dollars out of aus investments and bury them in safes as they are paranoid bastards.
When people sell their aus dollars the price goes down because no one wants them.
over simplified, but that's the gist of it.

Quote by Jako215
Thats funny cause in my effective speaking class one of the political nuts revealed that the USD is only worth $0.40 IN AMERICA!

I cannot think of a way that this can remotely make sense. You can't compare a currency to itself like that
It's not variable unless time is considered. Which it isn't from what your saying.

And devourke, you're just jealous that you live in an inferior country!
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
Basically this. If Greece collapses everyone Knows shit is hitting the fan. Thus they take there dollars out of aus investments and bury them in safes as they are paranoid bastards.
When people sell their aus dollars the price goes down because no one wants them.
over simplified, but that's the gist of it.

It is just cross rates between currencies at work.
If the Euro-Dollar ratio goes down, people are dumping the Euro and buying Dollars. As this cross rate is the most important one (most traded), the demand for Dollars affect the other cross rates against the Dollar as well.

I cannot think of a way that this can remotely make sense. You can't compare a currency to itself like that
It's not variable unless time is considered. Which it isn't from what your saying.
8<

That quote was probably just part of the story and what probably was meant is the value of the Dollar against the real intrinsic value.
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
Maybe I don't understand this upside-down concept fully, but if the AUD is at its lowest, doesn't that mean it's at its highest?
Quote by Avedas
Maybe I don't understand this upside-down concept fully, but if the AUD is at its lowest, doesn't that mean it's at its highest?

PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by Avedas

I can see how you thought of it that way...is there something wrong with my thread title?
Quote by Avedas

No, the USD/AUD crossrate would be at its highest.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Avedas

Australia demands to be taken seriously.
Catch the Dragon
Quote by hriday_hazarika
This thread is as terrible as music, which sucks balls.
Last edited by Funky_Fresh91 at Oct 4, 2011,
Quote by Funky_Fresh91
Austraila demands to be taken seriously.

Is there a revolt brewing in the colony?
Her Majesty doesn't like that.
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
Quote by Funky_Fresh91
Austraila demands to be taken seriously.

Ausfaila obviously doesn't demand to be spelt correctly though.
Quote by devourke

You sure have alot to say for someone who's national pastime is fucking sheep.
Quote by Vornik
Quote by devourke

I have a lot of venomous animals bidding to my every whim. I suggest you don't correct me again
Catch the Dragon
Quote by hriday_hazarika
This thread is as terrible as music, which sucks balls.
Quote by Funky_Fresh91
Australia demands to be taken seriously.

¡ʇı puɐɯǝp ǝʍ ɥɐǝʎ
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by xgunterx
It is just cross rates between currencies at work.
If the Euro-Dollar ratio goes down, people are dumping the Euro and buying Dollars. As this cross rate is the most important one (most traded), the demand for Dollars affect the other cross rates against the Dollar as well.

That quote was probably just part of the story and what probably was meant is the value of the Dollar against the real intrinsic value.

Whilst this is in part true the fact the AUD is falling in relation to all countries inlcuding the euro is due to what I posted.

How can you measure the intrinsic value? What would they be measuring it against?
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish

And devourke, you're just jealous that you live in an inferior country!

Inflation due to recession would be my best guess. Like, a dollar today buys you 40c worth of the dollar before recession or something.

But that still doesn't make any sense.
Quote by mulefish
How can you measure the intrinsic value? What would they be measuring it against?

How much the actual materials used to make the currency are as a measure of the traded value of that currency.
Quote by Vornik
Quote by Butt Rayge
Inflation due to recession would be my best guess. Like, a dollar today buys you 40c worth of the dollar before recession or something.

But that still doesn't make any sense.

Well yeah, comparing it to another time period makes sense, but without knowing what time period the information means nothing. If indeed that's what it is referring to.

muledit:
Quote by dann_blood
How much the actual materials used to make the currency are as a measure of the traded value of that currency.

You might be onto something with that.
Not that it means very much, but that would make sense
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Oct 4, 2011,
Quote by dann_blood
You sure have alot to say for someone who's national pastime is fucking sheep.

Nothing more needs to be said. Close this thread immediately!
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by mulefish

8<

Well, till the '70 the Dollar was backed by gold. This is no longer the case as more money is printed by allowing more debt.
It probably has something to do with this.