Hi There! :-)

What amplifier do you guys recommend for a sound that most indie bands make. I'm looking to spend under $1000 AUD and would prefer if it was a combo.

At the moment I've got an boss sd-1 and I'm looking into a new guitar to buy. Perhaps an Epi Sg.

A sound like the Arctic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand. Another good example would be The Strokes

Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out - YouTube

Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor (2005) - YouTube

The Strokes - Under Cover Of Darkness - YouTube

The kooks are also a good example
The Kooks - Always Where I Need To Be - YouTube

I hope you guys can help. Thanks :-D
Vox AC15/30 and throw a Rat on it
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
^that or a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville with a RAT and maybe a good transparent OD pedal.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Fender Hot rod deluxe, fender twin reverb, vox ac15 or 30. just some generally clean amp and a good overdrive and distortion. gets my indie tone...
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Hot Rod Fender or a non Valve Reactor AC-series Vox. Just depends on your preference.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
My setup is a MIA Fender Strat, Vox AC-15 and a Boss DS-1. I can nail that indie tone really well with it. I'm going to replace the DS-1 soon with a Fender Blender and a Fulltone OCD.
Thanks for your replies. First, do you think and Epiphone SG would be fine playing this tone?

And I'm getting a lot of Fender recommendations but I'm not too sure which one would really nail it!

Across the forums people have been recommending VOX AC15/30's. What are the difference between the two? Anything from Orange or Marshall? Orange AD30 (combo)? Marshall Haze 40?

Thanks a bunch guys :-)
Last edited by Volcz at Oct 4, 2011,
AC15s and AC30s sound a lot different. One is going to be a lot louder and harder to break up. You never really stated if you would be gigging or not. If your not the AC15 would be much more practical than the 30.

Like others have said, a clean amp i.e. Fenders or Vox's, and throw a solid OD in front of it. Your SD1 may not do it.

As for your Epi SG, it won't be the best but I would imagine it can get the job done with the right amp.

As for the other two amps you mentioned. Haven't played the AD30, stay away from the Haze. I wasn't a fan.

I say stick with the AC15 or a Fender of your choice.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
AC15s and AC30s sound a lot different. One is going to be a lot louder and harder to break up. You never really stated if you would be gigging or not. If your not the AC15 would be much more practical than the 30.

Like others have said, a clean amp i.e. Fenders or Vox's, and throw a solid OD in front of it. Your SD1 may not do it.

As for your Epi SG, it won't be the best but I would imagine it can get the job done with the right amp.

As for the other two amps you mentioned. Haven't played the AD30, stay away from the Haze. I wasn't a fan.

I say stick with the AC15 or a Fender of your choice.

Gigging would be in the future so Ac30 seems to be more practical for that reason. I'd love to get a fender tele or american standard strat but they are well over my price range (2-3k). Unless someone could find somewhere cheap to get a good guitar.

What are you recommendations on the guitar I should buy? (If possible, keep it under $1000). Nothing by Ibanez, squier, cort.
What's wrong with Squier or Cort? The higher end Squiers are really well made. Check out the Blacktop Series from Fender too, they're much cheaper than other Fender lines but they're also well made. That'd be what I'd recommend.
You said you were in Australlia?

Try Gumtree. Thats the Craigslist of AU right?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
get a Fender 72 deluxe reissue... european indie band love them, idk how it is in australia though
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

To give people an rough idea, a new AC30C2 would have a rrp of AU$1300 ish here in Australia. Used models seem few and far between - people seem to keep them. Although I have seen them (Allen's + Billy Hyde's) listed at $1169 (from memory), so that would be a good option.

Failing that the Laney VC series seems to be offered at a reasonable price and have a fairly similar sound (the VC30, with the treble max'ed is pretty close to the modern Vox sound). There's a couple of channels, a decent amount of headroom and gain on tap - without straying into metal-territory (if the urge takes you, slap a distortion pedal in front) and a fx loop. To my tastes the VC30 2x10 sound better than the 2x12 - although that's just taste and it provided the tone that I was after (although I didn't buy one, it was hired for some recording sessions).
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
The VC15 can be had for as low as $850 here, and you can get the AC15 for around the same price.

I suppose you could always use an AC4 head and cab if you wanted purely drive and could mic the amp up at gigs.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 5, 2011,
I'm willing to bet that, with cash in pocket, a deal could be done on a VC30, too.

The nearest place to stock them to me never charges me list price on anything in store. Even when I'm only getting a few picks (usually about 70c each) the guy will ask "how many?", I usually pick up about 10 and he goes "errr... three bucks, man."
And stick one of these in it:
http://www.melbournemusiccentre.com.au/category/replacement-guitar-speakers/

Great speakers, they out greenback greenbacks. Will top it off nicely, perfect speaker for what you want out of a VC30. They take a while to break in but are definitely worth it. Aussie boutique speakers made in Melbourne. They even have hemp fibre in them for added mojo (probably why they take a while to break in) and cones made using a speaker paper method of construction designed by the CSIRO.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
'72 Tele would be a good choice for sure. Alex from Franz plays one of the re-issues (I'm pretty sure) as does the dude in Snow Patrol (don't know his name).

I play one myself, and I'm about to get an AC30. We'd be gear twins!

Honestly though, very very very good guitars, blows an Epiphone SG straight out of the water.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Slap-happy
To give people an rough idea, a new AC30C2 would have a rrp of AU$1300 ish here in Australia. Used models seem few and far between - people seem to keep them. Although I have seen them (Allen's + Billy Hyde's) listed at $1169 (from memory), so that would be a good option.

Failing that the Laney VC series seems to be offered at a reasonable price and have a fairly similar sound (the VC30, with the treble max'ed is pretty close to the modern Vox sound). There's a couple of channels, a decent amount of headroom and gain on tap - without straying into metal-territory (if the urge takes you, slap a distortion pedal in front) and a fx loop. To my tastes the VC30 2x10 sound better than the 2x12 - although that's just taste and it provided the tone that I was after (although I didn't buy one, it was hired for some recording sessions).

Although and AC30VR is priced under $1000.
How is the Fender Blacktop Series? Theres a good price for a strat on Allans.
If you want a Strat for the price and don't want a Squier, and can't find better used, they're pretty decent. They're by no means bad, but you can get slightly better if you shop around the used market. The Jag's are very nice though.
If an Epi SG doesn't fit how about an LP Standard? Still not sure how the Fender Blacktop series is?
Honestly, I feel like single-coil equipped guitars are better suited for the style of music that you want. Maybe a MIM Strat or Tele would be better for you.
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

Quote by barden1069
Honestly, I feel like single-coil equipped guitars are better suited for the style of music that you want. Maybe a MIM Strat or Tele would be better for you.

So the single coil are better than the humbuckers for this style?

I'm liking the reviews on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2uPx0XaBAk&feature=related

But I'd like to hear it compared to the MIM strat. Switching through the videos, they both sound basically the same. On the Ultimate Guitar reviews they are also pretty much the same, with the Blacktop at 9.3 and MIM 9.1.
Last edited by Volcz at Oct 5, 2011,
Well "better" is really subjective, to be honest. Try as many guitars as you can (preferably with the same amp) and take careful note of which feels the best to play, sounds the best, and feels like it will stand up to abuse. Then make your choice.

It's always a work in progress, but that's half the fun! It's also pretty easy to swap out a humbucker for a single coil (if your guitar is routed correctly and you have the right pickguard).
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

A good compromise is to get a guitar with humbuckers that are splitable so you can also run them as single coils. Best of both worlds.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^That too. I wonder if the Blacktop's pups can be split.
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

I haven't been a fan of the Blacktops I've played.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Volcz
Although and AC30VR is priced under $1000.
How is the Fender Blacktop Series? Theres a good price for a strat on Allans.

I personally don't rate them -they're not bad, but not great either. A step up from the Valvetronix series and if you want to be serious about your tone and it's along the lines of an AC30 then I'd hold out for the "real deal" and go all tube.