#1
Link

AMSTELVEEN, The Netherland - A Formula One tycoon is linking up with KLM, the Dutch airline, to develop spacecraft that could bring every city on Earth within two hours' travel time.

A British passenger was the first to buy a $93,000 ticket for a ride on an early version of the craft, providing suborbital flights for space tourists.

Michiel Mol, 42, a Dutchman who co-owns the Force India Formula One team and made his fortune in computer software, said over the weekend, "Being able to travel from London to Sydney in an hour and 45 minutes, that is the future. It is also the reason why KLM joined our firm [Space Expedition Curacao, or SXC] as a partner."

Peter Hartman, chief executive of the airline, said, "KLM supports this innovative project. The SXC program's aim is to make space flights -- the future of travel -- accessible in a responsible and sustainable way by developing and promoting new technologies."

Sir Richard Branson intends to become the first private space tourism operator, booking seats at $200,000 each for suborbital flights on his Virgin Galactic vehicles, which he hopes to begin launching as soon as 2012.

Mol intends to follow suit in early 2014 and says he has already sold 35 tickets at $93,000 for flights from the Caribbean island of Curacao. Regulatory approval is still under negotiation.

His first spaceship, the Lynx, from the Californian firm XCOR Aerospace, will be unveiled next spring and will, he claims, feature breakthrough technology with a reusable engine.

"It's the first time a spaceship will be capable of doing four flights a day and of doing 5,000 flights with one engine," he said.

Passengers, who will be entitled to call themselves astronauts if they reach an altitude of 62 miles (100km), will be required to pass physical tests which he says are no more stringent than would be expected of an air steward. The first generation spaceship will travel at 2,200mph (3,540kph), but the second generation will need to reach a velocity of 13,750mph (22,100kph) to achieve the desired orbit.

Although Mol concedes this is "a long way off," he adds that once the craft is in space, "where you are going doesn't make much difference."

"Flying from London to Barcelona would still take an hour or so while London to Tokyo would be about one hour and 30 minutes and London to Sydney, one hour and 45 minutes. "

Very cool, though seems like a waste of money just to save time.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
#3
Quote by izbbass
Link


Very cool, though seems like a waste of money just to save time.


To be fair, isn't nearly every modern technology a waste of money to save time?

Although the prices are sky-high...
#5
Quote by devourke
I like long flights

It's not like planes are going to go away

This will pretty much be a plaything for the rich seeing as how expensive it is.


Quote by metalh3ad88
To be fair, isn't nearly every modern technology a waste of money to save time?

Although the prices are sky-high...

Well yea but not this big of a waste.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Last edited by izbbass at Oct 4, 2011,
#7
It's not exactly new news though is it - there's been plans to do this for a few years now.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
.
My SoundCloud
#9
Quote by izbbass
Link


Very cool, though seems like a waste of money just to save time.

Seriously. Who needs computers, washing machines, running water, cars, planes, email, or phones anyway?
#11
Quote by izbbass
It's not like planes are going to go away

This will pretty much be a plaything for the rich seeing as how expensive it is.



But what if they do man. What if all the planes in the world are upgraded to these Kenyan warrior planes and can only move superfast? What the fuck am I supposed to do for 1 and a half hours? Watch a romatic comedy? Watch half of The Return of the King? Try and get to sleep only to get woken up twenty minutes later?

Occupy Virgin Blue and demand that the planes be kept at the same speed and the speed gap between the highest speed plane and the lowest speed plane be bridged. 1% of the fastest planes in the world travel faster than the other 99% at the same time.

Viva la Revolucion
#12
Quote by WantsLesPaul
Time is money, brethren


Yeah but every passenger would have to go through counterproductive processes like fitness tests and shiz.

Time still gets wasted, just not in the air.
yo.

I BELIEVE
#13
Quote by Dirge Humani
If they go far enough into space, this will also have the cool side effect of every passenger travelling very slightly into the future >_>

How does that work?


Quote by devourke
But what if they do man. What if all the planes in the world are upgraded to these Kenyan warrior planes and can only move superfast? What the fuck am I supposed to do for 1 and a half hours? Watch a romatic comedy? Watch half of The Return of the King? Try and get to sleep only to get woken up twenty minutes later?

Occupy Virgin Blue and demand that the planes be kept at the same speed and the speed gap between the highest speed plane and the lowest speed plane be bridged. 1% of the fastest planes in the world travel faster than the other 99% at the same time.

Viva la Revolucion

Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
#15
Quote by izbbass
How does that work?

Time slows down the stronger gravity is.

Conversely, time speeds up the weaker gravity is. Gravity is weaker the farther you are from the center of the Earth, so time moves faster in space, relative to someone on the ground.
#16
It was in the 20th century, I'm sure there are records somewhere, can someone pull up old, early airline flight prices for comparison? ANd use an inflation calculator or something with them?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
#17
Quote by necrosis1193
It was in the 20th century, I'm sure there are records somewhere, can someone pull up old, early airline flight prices for comparison? ANd use an inflation calculator or something with them?

I admit, I didn't look VERY hard, but I looked a little. I couldn't find any sort of real numbers, but from what I gather all tickets cost the same, and I get the impression they were fairly cheap.
My sig? Nice.
#19
Quote by metalh3ad88
To be fair, isn't nearly every modern technology a waste of money to save time?

Although the prices are sky-high...


This made my day.
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...


Quote by She
That's what.




CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
#20
Hmm, technically it is possible, but the deal is to make money out of it.
That means that the operational costs must be lower than the income.
The Concorde was also a nice piece of technology for that era, but it was NEVER profitable for BA and AF.

And it is not because the travel time shrinks, that the total travel time will be much less.
It is 45min to Brussels for me but 2-3 hours to Amsterdam for example. Then I'm sure you have to be checked in earlier because the preparation time for the flight will probably higher.

But that aside, new pins will be created of the .....

THE 100-MILE HIGH CLUB!!
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.