My friends and I have been playing in the same band since January now, and have gotten a somewhat good fanbase, released two splits, and have played a good number of shows. However, my bassist and I began to do some talking, and found that we both are somewhat tired of the songs, and our bands image and the like. The bassist suggested that the band should break up after an upcoming, and soon to be final gig, and that we should form another band.
But then, he suggested something that seemed somewhat odd to me.

Then he suggested that we should keep the same line up, and genre of music, but that we should become more consistent in a certain style, take a much more involved effort into song writing as a band, do much more press/hype-wise, and change our name.
He said that it could help us become more focused as a band, and allow ourselves to be taken just a BIT more seriously in the local scene.

Although I'm a bit tired of the band right now(And I'm absolutely positive that the rest of the band is as well), I'm not too sure what starting from scratch would help do. Any thoughts?
Quote by thanksgiving
That is quite unique...

Quote by navarreguitaris
What? She said "just solder it back together"?

Quote by JacobTheMe

"Hey guys check out this cool penis!"

LOL
Don't just talk to the bassist about it. Talk to the whole band. Make it clear that it's an anything goes conversation and you want everyone to be 100% honest.

That's the only way you'll find out how everyone else is feeling, and you may find that the rest of them have been having the same thoughts.

If you all agree on a way forward, stick with it, if you all have different visions for the future, make that gig your last and start something new.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I think it would be hard. I mean, if you already have "style" with a group of people, anything you do would would be reminiscent. I would think. But if you like the guys you're playing with, and they're all down, why not try? Right?
My sig? Nice.
Sounds silly to me. Lets break up and get back together making the same music. How about you just change the name? Alienate your current fanbase (they won't know you're the same people) and start from scratch again. I don't know what you guys are smoking.

Here's an idea. How about you write some new songs? I know it sounds crazy, but new songs combat the feeling of "playing the same old songs".

Also you've only been together for 9 months, and you're already tired of the songs? Low attention span? How do you think Metallica feels?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Alan, after every post you make I read your sig as if it was written in answer to TS's question. Theres always great wisdom in that non sequitur.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
Alan, after every post you make I read your sig as if it was written in answer to TS's question. Theres always great wisdom in that non sequitur.

I don't actually have a sig dude, I just find it's always relevant advice to the issue.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Yea there's no reason to "end the band" just to have it be the same band. Just start writing new material in the musical direction you want to go. Bands do it all the time. If your not doing a lot of press and media hype as it is your not putting a lot of effort into the band. Just by putting some extra work in, you guys would probably have a little more fun and pride in the band.
Then he suggested that we should keep the same line up, and genre of music, but that we should become more consistent in a certain style, take a much more involved effort into song writing as a band, do much more press/hype-wise, and change our name.
He said that it could help us become more focused as a band, and allow ourselves to be taken just a BIT more seriously in the local scene.

Do all of this except for the breaking up(?) and name change. Everything else was pretty solid ideas.

Although I do have to say, sometimes a breakup can get things fresh. My band broke up and reformed without a bass player and rhythm guitar, keeping me (guitar), singer, and drummer. We found a bass player on Craigslist, and we have been having our most amazing jam sessions ever. Everyone got serious about their playing/singing, and the core group seemed to be much more like-minded. I gotta say, things are much better.

Find out the real reasons why things seem stuck in the mud.
Quote by dethklokrulz!
My friends and I have been playing in the same band since January now, and have gotten a somewhat good fanbase, released two splits, and have played a good number of shows. However, my bassist and I began to do some talking, and found that we both are somewhat tired of the songs, and our bands image and the like. The bassist suggested that the band should break up after an upcoming, and soon to be final gig, and that we should form another band.
But then, he suggested something that seemed somewhat odd to me.

Although I'm a bit tired of the band right now(And I'm absolutely positive that the rest of the band is as well), I'm not too sure what starting from scratch would help do. Any thoughts?

How about doing all of that (in Bold) and just keep your name...hmmm, sounds like a great idea to me. Decide on what songs you're NOT going to play anymore. I know it sounds crazy, but it's not crazy. Trust me.
Last edited by honkytown at Oct 14, 2011,
Well here's a question, you want to be taken more seriously...do you view your band to be joke-ish in some aspects?
He is absolutely right. As you look at a lot of bands, you can notice that over different album periods their style has altered in some way shape or form. As for being tired with being in a band, you can always just take a break. You don't have to do a million shows.
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.