I'm looking for something along the lines of a Fuzz Face or Tonebender. I play a fair amount of Zeppelin so I'd like to get close to a Page tone if possible. I know these can be made inexpensively but my soldering skills leave a bit to be desired. I'm told there are some quality builders on here so I figured I'd throw it out there.

Price is a factor. I'm seeing that I can get a Fuzz Face for well under $100 on ebay that will be in perfect functioning order. I may just go that route. If anyone on here wants to do it though, I'd rather give a builder the cash than Dunlop. They don't need the money!!

As for things I'd like on the pedal: Would like a tone control if possible (although I don't think the Fuzz Face or Tonebender had one, but my amp takes some dialing in). Would like a wide range of Fuzz from pretty much clean when all the way down to extremely crunchy British rock type sound (and obviously, all that is in between). I would like it to be responsive to volume knob adjustments. I'd like an LED to indicate when powered on. 9v jack if possible.

If you think you can do this for a reasonable price and with good craftsmanship, PLEASE let me know! If I'm out of line at all, I apologize and please let me know.
Thanks!
-G
Guitars:
Gibson SG
'96 Fender Strat
Ibanez AS120

Amps:
100w All tube 2x12 custom

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron
EP Boost
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez TS9
RAH OD
Strymon Lex
Timeline
TC Trinity
are you after a germanium or silicon fuzz face? dunlop germanium fuzz faces are hit and miss. if you buy a fuzz face off a builder here, i'm guessing it'll be around around $150 to $170, and will use quality hand-matched, mojo-riffic transistors and components. and they will sound fantastic.
Well, from what I'm reading, probably germanium. I'm really hoping to keep it under $150 (well, under $100 actually but I'm not sure that can happen...).

My main sound is a TS9 into an OCD. This works great for most of what I do. It really can miss pretty badly though when trying to play Zeppelin, Hendrix, some Zappa stuff, some Clapton/Cream stuff, etc. It can pull it off but it's just not as edgy as I want for that style.

Anyhow, I'm kind of impatient, so I am figuring that eventually I'll cave in and run to Guitar Center and just buy a Fuzz Face and regret that I didn't have someone from here build me something that might be more flexible. We'll see.

If anyone wants to give me a quote and some ideas on what you have for me, please feel free!
Thanks!
Guitars:
Gibson SG
'96 Fender Strat
Ibanez AS120

Amps:

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron
EP Boost
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez TS9
RAH OD
Strymon Lex
Timeline
TC Trinity
Denver area.
Guitars:
Gibson SG
'96 Fender Strat
Ibanez AS120

Amps:

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron
EP Boost
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez TS9
RAH OD
Strymon Lex
Timeline
TC Trinity
The tech at the studio I work at and I have been messing with modding pedals and are looking to start building. I've got schematics for both of those, so I'm sure we could manage it. PM if interested.
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox Valvetronix AD15VT w/ foot switch

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Big Muff Germanium 4
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH Small Stone (USA Ver 2)
  • EH LPB-1
  • PlusEBow
Quote by ns9977a
The tech at the studio I work at and I have been messing with modding pedals and are looking to start building. I've got schematics for both of those, so I'm sure we could manage it. PM if interested.

PM'ed
Guitars:
Gibson SG
'96 Fender Strat
Ibanez AS120

Amps:

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron
EP Boost
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez TS9