http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEilQOiuE_g

Upon first listen, I immediately thought the intro sounded like 5/4, but my friend commented saying that it seems like it's maybe 9/16 or 11/16 or something odd like that. I can't really tell, my rhythmic sense isn't that great with stuff like this.

If anyone who knows what they're doing can weigh in here I'd greatly appreciate it.

-edit: I'm realizing now after doing some counting that it's gotta be either 10/x or 5/x, right? Thanks.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Oct 4, 2011,
It's 5/8

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I should have elaborated that in my original reply - sorry about that!

There are a couple things to take into consideration for that. The most important is that time signatures are broken down into lots of 2 and 3 in contemporary Western music.
A time signature such as 5/8 has its beats subdivided by groups of eighth notes, so the only possible combinations we can have in terms of dividing the beats are 3+2 or 2+3 ( the 5/8 will always be broken down into two beats; one long and one short). We can still use sixteenth notes and other note values, of course, but the eighths will always be recognised in either of these two ways.
In a time signature like 10/16, however, the sixteenth notes are the ones divided into lots of 2 and 3. Since a value of 10 can be broken down into any variation of two lots of 2 and two lots of 3, it gives us the four beats in a bar we can hear in the piece you've posted.

10/8 would also be viable as a counterpart to 10/16, since the beats can be divided in the same way (only in terms of eights and not sixteenths), but inappropriate to notate since the notes are flying by so quickly!

I hope this has been a clear enough explanation. Be sure to let me know if I can clarify anything, though - I'd be glad to help.
Last edited by juckfush at Oct 4, 2011,