hey guys, recently i got myself a Selmer Treble and Bass 50 valve head, i've been playing it at gigs and for some reason no matter how far i push the volume control i get absolutely no breakup. I was wondering if any of you could shed some light on this as i always thought it was just a matter of turning up the master until the power section starts to saturate. It's a lovely sounding amp, and has some real mojo but it's rather annoying having to rely on a pedal for overdrive.
Quote by FunkasPuck
i swear, we are like the small gloucestershire village of the internet: we try god bless us, but we are about 5 years behind the rest of the world.
It probably wasn't designed to saturate in a very noticeable manner, tough luck.
Yeh, older amps like yours were designed with cleans in mind, distortion was something amp manufacturers tried to AVOID in the early days. That said, those Selmer amps do make an excellent base for adding pedals etc to shape your sound.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
pedals do sound great through it, and the reverb is astonishing but it's just a bit annoying that it won't saturate, is there any way i could force it to? or is it just something the circuit was never going to do?
Quote by FunkasPuck
i swear, we are like the small gloucestershire village of the internet: we try god bless us, but we are about 5 years behind the rest of the world.
There's a big difference between breaking up and huge squarewave distortion. If you're expecting high-gain peavy or mesa style overdrive, you're never going to get it out of that amp. Marshall style amps of the era your Selmer comes from are very clean amps because they don't have any preamp gain. The breakup you're hearing when you turn the amp all the way up, and there should be some, is about as much power tube distortion as any amp will get. If you want something with a lot more gain, you'll need to push the preamp tubes with an overdrive.
maybe i should swap the valves as there's literally no saturation, even with the volume all the way up
Quote by FunkasPuck
Describe what you mean by saturation.

New tubes are often a good idea, but don't expect a bunch of gain from this amp.
Quote by LSD23
maybe i should swap the valves as there's literally no saturation, even with the volume all the way up

Power tubes aren't going to saturate in the sense of what you think of as overdrives, they are going to clip, and create distortion that way, but that's only if you are pushing them past their point of breakup, which it sounds like the amp you got is designed to run full power under the tubes breakup point, so no matter how hard you try, the amp will never get that power tube overdrive. Changing tubes wont help either cause of the circuit.

I could be wrong, but just get a OD pedal and be done with it.
Quote by Roc8995
Describe what you mean by saturation.

New tubes are often a good idea, but don't expect a bunch of gain from this amp.

maybe it was the wrong term, but any sort of overdrive from the power section, it's just clean no matter how hight it goes
Quote by FunkasPuck
Last edited by LSD23 at Oct 4, 2011,
have you had the amp biased.

you should be able to get that amp to break up.

i think maybe the power tubes are biased too cold.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Could just be old tubes, too. A new set of tubes and a bias, like Min said, ought to fix things. It definitely shouldn't be squeaky clean all the way up the volume knob. It just won't get bone-crunching distortion, either.
ya those amps are old as heck. if it hasn't been checked over in a while it's best to bring it to a tech for a check up.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
i had a sneaking suspicion that was it, any reccomendations for some good new tubes? it's got el34's and 12AX7's

oh and it has been looked over by a tech, i did that before even plugging it in... i'm a little paranoid about old electrical stuff
Quote by FunkasPuck
Last edited by LSD23 at Oct 4, 2011,
Stick JJ's in it.
It could be lots of things. Worn power tubes or worn out phase inverter would be my first guess. It should break up when cranked up high. Selmers break up nice cranked if everything is working well. You have to really crank them though. You won't get crazy high gain breakup out of them, more like a Plexi really. Fat and warm.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification