So, I bought a new guitar yesterday. A beautiful red Jackson Kelly ke3.
I played around it for a bit, had some tuning problems for few minutes, eventually it settled down. Then I broke the B string, while I was playing on the high E string! Wtf!
Is this normal?
I'm gonna try to restring it now. Or I'll just probably restring the B string and try to fix it from there.
I never had a floating trem, but are they really that much hassle? I mean I had the guitar for like an hour in total and had nothing but problems.
Oh ok, sorry.

Chances are its just got crap strings from either the factory or they are just a bit old mate. Its not usual but its probably not indicative of anything awful either.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Probably just old strings as Tom said. Give your nut, frets, and bridge a feel for any sharp edges or burrs, especially around the area where the string broke. If you feel something sharp you might want to have it smoothed out.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Definitely old strings. Get a luthier to set your guitar up with a new patch of strings. This should fix it.
Thanks guys. I can't get it fixed anytime soon as I have no alan keys Just ordered them on amazon but gonna have to wait few more days to play my Kelly!
Definitely old/cheap strings. Or a burr in the machining somewhere. I have a tune-o-matic style kelly(cheaper one) and without fail, the e string always snaps. If i wasnt replacing it i would definitely file it down.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
where did the string break? if it broke at the bridge, is it possible the string just slipped out due to the string lock not being tightened enough?

oh... and speaking of that - be careful when replacing the strings about over-tightening these. you do want them tight enough to hold - but you certainly don't want to strip the screws.
Quote by rebar71
where did the string break? if it broke at the bridge, is it possible the string just slipped out due to the string lock not being tightened enough?

oh... and speaking of that - be careful when replacing the strings about over-tightening these. you do want them tight enough to hold - but you certainly don't want to strip the screws.

The string broke at the bridge. To be fair, thinking about it I think it didn't even break, it just jumped out of the saddle.

Well I can't do anything about it for a few days anyway, until I get the tools delivered.
Thanks for the help everyone. If I have any more specific questions I'll be sure to post them
Quote by piszczel
The string broke at the bridge. To be fair, thinking about it I think it didn't even break, it just jumped out of the saddle.

Well I can't do anything about it for a few days anyway, until I get the tools delivered.
Thanks for the help everyone. If I have any more specific questions I'll be sure to post them

Well, thats a whole nother story...
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
DId you undo the tuning locks on the nut? if not you stretched the string too far.. should have an alan key with it..
Eastwood LA125EQ

_________
Crybaby Wah Standard
Boss SuperChorus

Voodoo Chile )
Quote by piszczel
Thanks guys. I can't get it fixed anytime soon as I have no alan keys Just ordered them on amazon but gonna have to wait few more days to play my Kelly!

You can always buy them on the market to find a perfect fit for the wrench slots.
Also, if you aren't sure what you are supposed to do, take the guitar to a luthier and have him fix the guitar for you. There is a reason why there are guitar repair shops with luthiers on standby to help you.
Quote by piszczel

it's just a 3mm allen key available at any hardware store.