So yeah. I've been playing for close to a year. I can palm mute when I'm not playing along with the song, but when I play with the song, something goes wrong. For some reason my hand keeps going into downstroke-upstroke mode when I'm playing along with the song. And with the type of music I listen to (Green Day, Blink-182, Sum 41 etc.) lots of it is palm muting. And it happens with All The Small Things too! Yes, it is a shame.

So, do you have any tips about how to palm mute in only downstrokes faster. Like, how to position your hand, how small to make the pick etc.

P.S. - I'm playing on an acoustic, don't have an electric guitar. If that's going to change your suggestions.

Thank you so much for your time
dont let your hand move with the exact rhythms of the song, you want to be able to strum on off beats as well sometimes. If youre singing as well, that could also be a problem. Just keep practicing. :P
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
find out the tempo of the song and use a metronome to practice. just play one note but completely focus on your right hand(maybe just hammer on the low e string). if you find you have trouble, then slow down a bit and when that gets easier,speed up til you feel comfortable at tempo. once you start getting that, throw in the chords and work on the changes. then try and play along and see how that works out
There's nothing wrong with playing palm mutes using both upstrokes and downstrokes. In fact, I highly recommend that you do.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Aleksi
There's nothing wrong with playing palm mutes using both upstrokes and downstrokes. In fact, I highly recommend that you do.

If you playing power chords palm muted it wont sound very good like that. And with this kind of music, you have to do that alot.

Anyway, just keep practicing. It will be hard at first, but after a while you'll be able to downstroke palm muted power chords no problem. I've only been playing for like 5 or 6 months but I'm already jamming along with tons of Green Day and Blink songs. So yeah just keep practicing and be patient and you'll get better over time.
Last edited by phayzze at Oct 4, 2011,
Quote by phayzze
If you playing power chords palm muted it wont sound very good like that. And with this kind of music, you have to do that alot.

Nonsense. If you practise, you can make it sound good.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
I'd suggest using electric guitar to do Palm Mutes, espeically for Punk bands like Blink182.
Acoustic isn't good for palm mutes.
Theres nothing wrong about alternate picking palm mutes, makes it allot easier, doing everything downstrokes is makes an almost trivial difference to sound.
METAL!
I have questions! Regarding PALM-MUTED POWER CHORDS:

1) Do you use wrist motion like palm-muting single notes or do you use arm motion like strumming un-palm muted chords?

2) Do you usually use upstrokes AND downstrokes when playing Sum41-esque songs?

---

3) Do you even use arm motion when strumming un-palm muted power chords?

'Cause my arm starts hurting and getting numb when I play pitifully easy for most people palm-muted songs like Hell Song.
To answer the above guy:

1. No, I personally only use wrist motion and I think you should too.
2. Well, some people say its okay to do up and downstroke, but it just sounds better when you're playing Sum 41-esque songs, so I'm aiming for only downstroke.
3. Yes, I use arm motion when strumming un palm muted power chords. I think its better to let your hand loose

@Ultraussie
Do you mean its tougher on acoustic? Also, do you use up and down strokes?
Thanks for your suggestions
Use the meat of your palm right across the bridge, and roll your wrist forward or back for more muting, get the wrist and finger motion down, hell i can downstoke mainly off of finger movement
Thanks for your answers.. WRIST okkk >.<;; I shall try to begin with slower songs.. haha..