Page 1 of 2
Ok, first off I want to say that I think it's great that older people want to go back to school to get a degree later in life. I few people in my family are doing it right now actually.

But...

Do you find them annoying?

I'm not talking about someone who is 30 or something like that. I'm talking about the ones in their late 40s and 50s. There are so many of them at my school and they are ridiculously annoying. They ask questions about absolutely everything the teacher says. A lady in one of my classes last semester would ask no less then 20 questions a class, when no one else was saying anything because they were actually trying to here what the teacher was saying. Also, some guy this semester got everyone in the class to give them their e-mail address if case he needed to ask a question. He must not listen to a thing the teacher says because everyone in the class complains about all the e-mails he sends. I had to block him.

Sorry that this just seems like a rant.

TLDR: Do you find older students (in their 40s or 50s) annoying?

EDIT: Just to clarify. I don't mean asking questions as much as just talking through the entire class. Many ask a question just to show the teacher that they already know the material better than the other students. I should have made that more clear.

And again, I know this isn't all older people. I'm just curious if any of you have run into anyone like this while at school.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Oct 4, 2011,
I have a 70 year old in my Psych Methods class... If you think middle agers are annoying, Jesus Christ...
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
No, why would anyone find them annoying. It's actually inspiring that they pursue academic goals at such age.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I'm unbelievably certain that the OP is a paste job from another thread about the same thing. It's so close to what I remember it's uncanny.

EDIT: The searchbar just called me, to let me know I am a moron. Sorry.
In the days of darkness men feared not the sword and the lance
Nor did he fear the beast of fire... He feared...
THE AXEMAN!!

The Earth is covered in ash and our lungs have filled with worms...
Last edited by Atomic_Assault at Oct 4, 2011,
I guess they just don't want to miss anything, so they ask all the questions they can?
Quote by damian_91
No, why would anyone find them annoying. It's actually inspiring that they pursue academic goals at such age.

I agree. I actually said that in my post.

I can't explain it. Most of them just annoy the hell out of me. Especially ones in any math classes.

Not all of them are like that though. There have been a couple cool ones.

Maybe I'm an awful person.

Quote by Atomic_Assault
I'm unbelievably certain that the OP is a paste job from another thread about the same thing. It's so close to what I remember it's uncanny.

I guess I'm not alone.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I've never minded them but I like old people generally.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I found all the 18 and 19 year old punks very annoying. Wtf are you doing in school when you already fucking know everything?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by WCPhils
I agree. I actually said that in my post.

I went straight for the tl;dr
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Jackal58
I found all the 18 and 19 year old punks very annoying. Wtf are you doing in school when you already fucking know everything?

You would be one of the cool ones.
___

Quote by The_Blode
YES.

I haven't seen any at my school now, but when I went to community college, they were by far the most annoying students. They never stopped talking, because they wanted to prove themselves to be intelligent, because they feel insecure about being old and being in a class with younger students. Either that, or they ask questions about every single thing the teacher goes over, and they slow down the class.

I respect them for going back to school, but I completely agree that they're often annoying.
Last edited by The Madcap at Oct 4, 2011,
yes! i was thinking about this the other day in one of my classes this dude in his 40s just talks about his frickin kids and his ex wife who is a heroin addict he cant divorce b/c he doesnt want to pay to actually get a divorce. im like dude go the **** away nobody cares

and he has a joke that he tells everyday "aways use protection, nobody wants an std, you cant get rid of sexually transmitted dependents, mine still follows me everyday"
{[WD Punk]}
Quote by WCPhils

I guess I'm not alone.

See my edit. I'm an idiot.
In the days of darkness men feared not the sword and the lance
Nor did he fear the beast of fire... He feared...
THE AXEMAN!!

The Earth is covered in ash and our lungs have filled with worms...
I'm glad to see them advancing themselves, and there's nothing wrong with asking questions. The only ones who bother me are the ones who think because they're older they're somehow smarter than everyone else in the class.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
The guy who is like 45 in one of my classes has a lot of experience in the field before getting laid off so he has a ton of knowledge and helps everyone in labs. The annoying thing is he messes up our test curves with perfect scores.

I had another guy similar age in my speech class freshmen year talk about a half hour on gaming and how it created leadership…that was suprising…
Last edited by FireHawk at Oct 4, 2011,
Quote by FireHawk
The guy who is like 45 in one of my classes has a lot of experience in the filed before getting laid off so he has a ton of knowledge and helps everyone in labs. The annoying thing is he messes up our test curves with perfect scores.

That bastard. I feel his pain.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I find it's sort of the opposite (sort of.) The one's I've known don't spend their time asking questions. But they talk WAY too fucking much. I understand; they're older, "wiser," yadda yadda. But it can get ****ing annoying when they bring up semi-relevant points and have a 20 minute discussion with the professor.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
There's a 70 year old woman in my Managing Diversity In The Workplace class, and she rarely asks questions Seems like a pretty nice lady to me.
"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck." -Bob Brozman
Mum's at Uni right now, and I attended a lecture with her once. She's guilty of asking too many questions... it was kind of embarrassing. I got the gist of what the lecturer was saying without having to ask them anything. Maybe it's a middle-aged thing, she's 43.
Quote by carlos_almighty
I find it's sort of the opposite (sort of.) The one's I've known don't spend their time asking questions. But they talk WAY too fucking much. I understand; they're older, "wiser," yadda yadda. But it can get ****ing annoying when they bring up semi-relevant points and have a 20 minute discussion with the professor.

Yea I kinda messed up the OP. They don't ask questions as much as they just talk non stop about everything just so they can show everyone what they know.

I feel like a jerk for making this thread
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by damian_91

I agree, more power to them if they want to continue their education. But sometimes they talk so much and ask so many questions, it's disruptive to everyone else. I had an older guy in a poli sci class that wouldn't let the prof talk 5 minutes without interjecting with his inane opinion.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
There's several in my english comp class, but only one is annoying as hell and never shuts the hell up.

He always seems to be-little the kids in class when they answer a question wrong
Starting Weight: 310, 38.8% Body fat (11/2008, pic in profile)
Latest Weigh in 230.2 14.3% Body fat (4/13/2013)

Pro life, pro gun, health nut, Christian and conservative. I make no apologies if what I say pisses anybody off.
I only knew 2 older people in my college when I was there. One was...maybe 45ish? I never asked, but she was one of my good friends' mother and she was awesome. She'd bring more pot to lunch breaks than a lot of students, and she wasn't one of those obnoxious stoners...she'd just sit down, light up and talk to anyone about anything..and roll them joints and cigarettes if they knew her well enough.
The other one was someone with clear learning difficulties, maybe mid 30s, sat at the front of my medieval history class and understood absolutely nothing.
no, because regardless of how good you think you know what he's lecturing about, those old people bring clarification that you might not have had without it being explained again. Either way a lecture is not going to get prolonged because of questions, if anything I'd rather listen to the interaction of the student and professor than just hear the professor for 1-3 hours.

That being said, I don't bitch about every little thing in life without looking at the positives first, but that might just be me

Edit: The one's I dislike are the know-it-alls that think that since they have 25+ years on the students that by default makes them superior. I had one last year in my creative writing class and I got into it with him after lecture. Ended up calling him a smug asshole, the look on his face made it the highlight of the quarter
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Last edited by megano28 at Oct 4, 2011,
Not really, no.

I just graduated uni (BSc Geology), and we had a few of mature students. One guy in his early thirties, and two ladies in their mid forties or so.

There was no incessant talking, no asking too many questions, or anything like that.

Yeah, they probably do ask more questions, but that usually helps clear up confusion. The two I knew were more likely to ask the other students questions than the lecturers anyway.

Certainly we didn't have a segregation, if you will, with the older guys being separate from everyone else, they mixed fairly well.

If anything, they were some of the best students, always polite to students and lecturers, willing to help if someone else is stuck, and always asked if they were stuck with something. As a result, they always did bloody well in exams/coursework...
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
I don't really mind them, but there's this creepy buy that's either late 50's early 60's that hangs out at the apartments on campus and parties with the frat guys. I just find that really odd. But other than that I haven't met one that really is annoying.
I HATED them...

Back at my community college, I was taking Micro Econ and there was some 40-year-old lady who actually cu me off and told me to stop bothering the professor when I asked for an example of a theory. The professor told her to leave the class, go home, and drop it because she was never going to be allowed back in the room. Prof ended up giving me an A in the class "for handling the situation calmly." I probably deserved a mid B or so, so that was awesome. I got my first 4.0 ever that semester. I was stoked haha. Back to my point, because of all of that, now I love them!
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Middle aged students talk more because they've probably developed more confidence over the years than most of the 20 somethings in Uni/College so they see nothing wrong with asking lots of long questions.
OUT OF ORDER
I don't see what's wrong with asking questions, and they should be applauded for trying to better themselves academically at such an age.
I'm the only person not married in my American Government class. seriously, wtf.
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
No, they ask more because theyre not embarrassed to ask questions and make sure they fully understand, unlike you young turks.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
this^
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
They're trying to improve their lives, and I admire that. They may even ask questions others are afraid to ask. I have no qualms with that at all.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
I like listening to other people's questions because I can never think of questions to ask when I'm confused apart from "durrrrr I don't get it"
So I don't mind the question-asking part.

But I feel like I'll never be as intelligent as them which makes me sad.
cat
Some of the students in the teaching program are parents in their 30s and 40s and there were others in my other classes as well. I don't mind them, most of them were smart and provided good insight on the topics.
Ive got a 43 or 44 year old guy on my drumline playing bass drum. Its not that hes old thats the problem, but hes also incredibly out of shape so he has to march differently than everyone else because his stomach gets in the way. He also about passes out halfway through the parade we march every year and complains about his knees and back. It can really get on everyones nerves but the worst part is the hitting on 19 and 20 year old girls wherever he goes. Its great that hes trying to make his life better but getting an education degree at 44 isnt going to get you a steady teaching job at this point.
Page 1 of 2