Ok, so I went to Guitar Center and got an adapter to plug a cord from the back of my amp into my laptop so I could record my guitar. The guy there though, tried to get me to buy (as usual with GC) a mixer cus he said the sound quality would suck. I declined, but he was kind of right in the sound quality department. Anyways, I've seen things such as the POD X3, the smaller PODs, and the like used to help record your playing. Can anyone recommend me a good way of recording my playing?

I love my amp (Blackstar HT-20), but at night I want a way of playing where I can plug my headphones in and I hear using a POD or mixer would allow me to do that. Also, I'm going to need the software to do it (effects on the pc, etc.).
POD of some sort, then get Reaper.

http://soundcloud.com/tomdhorn/sets/covers/

All of that was done with my HD300 into Reaper on a shit Laptop.

Guitar -----> POD ------> Laptop
|
|
Connected via USB

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Oct 4, 2011,
A mixer with a USB audio interface is a great suggestion. That's because you will find all those connections useful when building up a small studio. Otherwise there are a lot of USB audio interfaces out there. A Pod is overkill unless you want the modeling of it.

However you should try plugging the line out of the amp into the mic port. Make sure that you turn off the 10db mic boost in your laptop. I'm assuming you mean a line out and not the speaker out of your amp.
Last edited by fly135 at Oct 4, 2011,
Guitar rig 5? I just bought it
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
ESP: H-1001
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Digitech DT Whammy
Ibanez Sweeping Demon
Earthquake Bit Commander
Tone Mob Model 001 Fuzz Generator
DOD Bone Shaker
Stomp Under Foot Sonic Warfare
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
Quote by Ghold125
What's your budget?

Meh, lets try and stay under 100. I know that is kind of low. If I could get something good (and I mean all the pieces) for under 200, then I might be fine with that.
Quote by fly135
A mixer with a USB audio interface is a great suggestion. That's because you will find all those connections useful when building up a small studio. Otherwise there are a lot of USB audio interfaces out there. A Pod is overkill unless you want the modeling of it.

However you should try plugging the line out of the amp into the mic port. Make sure that you turn off the 10db mic boost in your laptop. I'm assuming you mean a line out and not the speaker out of your amp.

Yea, I used line out, not speaker out. I think I did turn down the 10db mic boost when I recorded, but it still came out a little fuzzy.

The reason I was looking at a POD or the like is just because I sometimes want to use other effects that I don't have. I have overdrive, delay, flanger, and soon chorus, but I may want a phaser or trying to replicate a certain sound for instance. If I have to buy the software though, then it probably wont be worth it. How much would a cheap mixer run me? Maybe 50?
Don't know where you're from, but for less than £200 you can get a decent 2nd hand multitracker in the UK. They do everything the software equivalent can but are often more convenient and easier to use.

If you're definitely sticking under £100 (or 100 of any other currency) your only real option is software (there are used multitrackers out there for less than that, but you're looking at pretty old kit at that price). Reaper is a free trial, but I don't believe it stops working after the trial period. There are other free options out there if you google for them. You'll also need an interface as using the mic input on your PC doesn't give decent results.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Buy some USB interface (there is cheap ones for like 20) and get yourself REAPER and some free guitar plugs, especially Onqels X30 (ENGL E530) and X50 (Peavey 6505) kick ass.
Line 6 TonePort GX or UX1 if you need a mic input. Download Reaper, it works forever without having to pay for it and is just as good as Pro Tools and the like. Download TSE X50, LePou Lecto, etc and use them as a plugin for your amp inside Reaper, instead of POD Farm. Buy a decent set of headphones and you're set for a while.

A mixer without USB connection is worthless to you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Line 6 TonePort GX or UX1 if you need a mic input. Download Reaper, it works forever without having to pay for it and is just as good as Pro Tools and the like. Download TSE X50, LePou Lecto, etc and use them as a plugin for your amp inside Reaper, instead of POD Farm. Buy a decent set of headphones and you're set for a while.

A mixer without USB connection is worthless to you.

I'm liking the Line 6 POD Studio GX with POD Farm so far. Why should I use those programs instead of POD Farm though? Is POD Farm not very good or something?
Quote by -Lateralus-
I'm liking the Line 6 POD Studio GX with POD Farm so far. Why should I use those programs instead of POD Farm though? Is POD Farm not very good or something?

The standard version of POD Farm kinda sucks. You can get good tones out of it, but it's going to take you a long time. The free plugins I mentioned are closer in quality to the amp models given to you in the Platinum version of POD Farm (ie: the add-on model packs).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com