I just returned to Malaysia and my Epi LP just despises the weather here. It's humid and warm all the time and the strings get rusty VERY QUICKLY (rust appearing in 3 days). I'm saving up for a hard case which I'll definitely get in a month or two. So in the meantime, I've got this idea of keeping it in the trunk, mainly to avoid humidity. I'm not sure how extreme the temperature will be in there though. What do you think?
Two bands I'm obsessed about : Coheed and Cambria.
Do you have a soft-shell case? If so, keep a potato or two in there. Seriously, those things suck up moisture really well. Ritchie Blackmore used to do it when he put his guitars on planes.
The trunk is a terrible idea. I was going to say use a moisture dessicant but I love the potato idea. Give that a try.
Quote by JustRooster
Do you have a soft-shell case? If so, keep a potato or two in there. Seriously, those things suck up moisture really well. Ritchie Blackmore used to do it when he put his guitars on planes.

I only have a gig bag for now. Cool tip, though. Definitely giving it a try. I did try a small pack of silica gel in the bag yesterday but it got used up overnight. Do you think potatoes would last longer?
Thanks, I did feel the trunk seem like a bad idea. I'm assured now.
It's not just the humidity, it's the heat fluctuations. The trunk of a car out in the sun can get very hot, and then will cool rapidly when the sun sets. That's a great way to crack the finish or warp the neck on your guitar, especially if you do it without a case.
Quote by wicked_hobbit
I only have a gig bag for now. Cool tip, though. Definitely giving it a try. I did try a small pack of silica gel in the bag yesterday but it got used up overnight. Do you think potatoes would last longer?

I can't say, honestly. He only used it for the duration of a flight.
silica gel?
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
What if it's too dry in the trunk? Modulating the humidity is only useful if you know what it is to begin with. If he's sitting at 30% humidity, putting desiccants in with the guitar is going to make the environment worse, not better.
The Potato is a good idea, sometimes im glad i'm a UK Resident
Eastwood LA125EQ

_________
Crybaby Wah Standard
Boss SuperChorus

Voodoo Chile )
I saw a guitar after a week in a trunk one summer.

it was completely trashed.

like said, in moist climates
try the silica packs found in boxes with
new shoes.

or a container of rice, poke holes in the top
of the container too small for the rice to
fall out of.
leave that in the case.

edit: I would do this instead of a
potentially rotting potato.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 4, 2011,
yes, it's a very bad idea because as has been said the environment will rapidly fluctuate. It is very retarded. Trust me, i know from experience
Which part of Malaysia are you at....??

You can just go to any supermart and get those Dehumidifiers....some are really huge, but there a few just the right size so that you can keep em in your case near the cutaway of your guitar.....you can still stick to a soft case....probably get a Ritter case, they are rather thick....Bentley sells them.....
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
And bout putting it in the trunk....you definitely dont wanna do that....the weather here has been insane recently......It can go from hot as hell to crazy arse rain in a few hours.....
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"