I've learnt that while practicing and playing live, I like to move around the area in which i'm playing, but I'm sick of cables everywhere around my feet, so I've been looking into a wireless system for my bass, but I'm unsure what exactly I should be looking for specifically. I play an Ibanez SR305 with an orange crushpix 100bxt and we play hard rock / metal. I want something reliable, good clear sound and no delay, but also don't want to pay a fortune for it. Any advice?
Wireless and cheap do not go hand in hand- tone suckage and intermittent signal loss is practically inevitable. However, the Line 6 Relay is is one of the very few exceptions to this (matter of fact, it's the only cheap wireless I'd feel comfortable using, as I've heard nothing but good things about it), but I'm not sure how much it is in the UK (not an expert on currency conversion, sorry).
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

I use the AKG SR40 wireless system and have been for about 6 years. It's great, no delays etc it cost me about £120 and is very reliable, only takes two AA batteries in the pack and they last ages. Mine has a cable that is inserted from the pack and into the guitar and the pack goes in my back pocket but I think there is a newer version which only takes one battery that just inserts straight into the guitar with no cable at all.
I agree about standing on guitar leads. We usually only play pubs and space is a premium so wireless is an excellent solution. A word of warning though, as people won't see a lead between guitar and amp, be wary of being accused of miming, as I have! lmao
Last edited by Ichabod Crane at Oct 4, 2011,
Quote by Ichabod Crane
I use the AKG SR40 wireless system and have been for about 6 years. It's great, no delays etc it cost me about £120 and is very reliable, only takes two AA batteries in the pack and they last ages. Mine has a cable that is inserted from the pack and into the guitar and the pack goes in my back pocket but I think there is a newer version which only takes one battery that just inserts straight into the guitar with no cable at all.
I agree about standing on guitar leads. We usually only play pubs and space is a premium so wireless is an excellent solution. A word of warning though, as people won't see a lead between guitar and amp, be wary of being accused of miming, as I have! lmao

So would you recommend it then? If I was to get one, would it work for my 5 string bass . I don't mind having a pack on the strap if its cheaper then the newer models.

Also would it matter what frequency it was on? Ones I've looked at are all different e.g UK1 854.9MHz and EU1 863.1MHz
Quote by zacisghandi
So would you recommend it then? If I was to get one, would it work for my 5 string bass . I don't mind having a pack on the strap if its cheaper then the newer models.

Also would it matter what frequency it was on? Ones I've looked at are all different e.g UK1 854.9MHz and EU1 863.1MHz

Yes I would definitely recommend it. I've just got the manual out to double check the frequency and it's 854.900MHz.
You can use it with guitar, bass or even keyboards according to the manual.
I don't know if this model has been superceded, but if it has you might be able to pick one up on ebay.
I've never had a problem with frequencies. In my other band the other guitarist had a different wireless system and there were no 'clashes'.
The transmitter can go anywhere you want. The only reason I put mine in my pocket is cos I change guitars for a couple of songs and it saves mucking around with straps etc. Hope this helps?
Last edited by Ichabod Crane at Oct 5, 2011,
Quote by Ichabod Crane
Yes I would definitely recommend it. I've just got the manual out to double check the frequency and it's 854.900MHz.
You can use it with guitar, bass or even keyboards according to the manual.
I don't know if this model has been superceded, but if it has you might be able to pick one up on ebay.
I've never had a problem with frequencies. In my other band the other guitarist had a different wireless system and there were no 'clashes'.
The transmitter can go anywhere you want. The only reason I put mine in my pocket is cos I change guitars for a couple of songs and it saves mucking around with straps etc. Hope this helps?

So do you think this model would be suitable for my needs http://www.gak.co.uk/en/akg-wms-40-mini-wireless-instrument-set-ism1-eu1-863.100/52239
Quote by Ichabod Crane
Yes, that model is very similar to mine. I can't see you having a problem with that one.

Just recieved my AKG WMS 40 Pro mini, and I must say it is amazing, it's exactly what I wanted. It's compact, sound is crystal clear even when I in another room on the other side of the house, It was real cheap too £88 + p&P with next day delivery. Finally deley between sound is almost non-existent. I could not be happier!
Fantastic, thats a great bargain! I'm pleased you got it. Where did you get it from, if you don't mind me asking? It's so much better with a wireless system not standing on cables etc isn't it? and you can wander around playing during gigs and surprise people! lol
Last edited by Ichabod Crane at Oct 7, 2011,
I have the Line 6 G30, and I have never had a problem with it, it sounds great and the other guitarist in my band and me have been using them live pretty much since they came out !!

Definitely recommend them !
Gibson Les Paul Std HB
Fender MIM telecaster MW
Epiphone ZW Les Paul
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
MXR ZW-44
Dunlop Crybaby
Line 6 Relay G30

www.myspace.com/arovidia

Quote by Will Swanson
Pull your scrotum out, and smear it over your walls.
Quote by Ichabod Crane
Fantastic, thats a great bargain! I'm pleased you got it. Where did you get it from, if you don't mind me asking? It's so much better with a wireless system not standing on cables etc isn't it? and you can wander around playing during gigs and surprise people! lol

My one came from amazon
Quote by zacisghandi
My one came from amazon

Thanks for your reply. I might check that out. I've been thinking of getting one for my son for xmas as he keeps borrowing mine, which is ok, but when our gigs clash, I get to have it and he moans! well he is 16! lol