So I'm in desperate need of a decent job. Problem is I have never had an actual job before, except for chores here and there around the neighborhood like mowing lawns and cleaning pools, ect. But those don't get you very far cash wise. I have a couple places in mind already so any tips to get the job would be greatly appreciated. Any other job suggestions as well.

1. Starbucks
2. In-an-Out
3. Subway
4. Junga Juice
5. Barnes and Noble
6. Hastings

I heard Starbucks is damn difficult to get hired at and In-an-Out only gives out a few hours to work. The other places I'm not so sure, but they look like decent places to work at. I rather not work at fast food though (yeah, yeah picky me), I've heard way too many horror stories and seen many oil burns on friends from those greasy places. I know me being 16 is going to be another key factor too, but I was wondering if my GPA could help me get hired easier. Thanks.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned for respecting my opinion and politely disagreeing.
You're probably the most respectful person in the Pit.
Go to a workforce center. They ask you what kind of stuff are you interested in and find job openings for you based around those interests. That's what I did for my first job..
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff
Just apply to all of them. Subway really aren't gonna care about your performance in school judging from some of the people that work in them in my city.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Fast food places are always good for people in your position. Bollocks to your horror stories, man-up or be skint. And if you do it properly you won't get burnt. I used to work in fast food and I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I properly burnt myself, and each of those was due to my being daft.

The odd jobs you say you've done will probably stand you in good sted when it comes to employment, it shows you're willing and don't mind a bit of graft.

Just look everywhere...and I mean everywhere, particularly in town centres and retail wise. And don't just look for notices in shop windows, actually go in everywhere and ask. Even if it looks the type of place that wouldn't hire you, still ask. And if they say 'look on our website', then look on the website.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
GPA isn't going to matter for these types of jobs, though in an interview you could saw you're an honors student or something. Stay away from food joints if you can. Go for jobs with less customer interaction (unless people skills is your thing) because you will get tired of assholes very soon. Barnes n Noble seemed the best bet out of those listed, but I don't recognize some of the names there.

But take what you can get.
Any restaurant and any supermarket. Not fun to work at, but job experience.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Fast food places can be bad but it's bearable. I worked in McDonalds for about 6 months. Got me enough experience to get a new job. The people you have to serve are assholes but that comes with most jobs. I was lucky enough to work with decent people, minus a few managers.
But you need to work in these kinds of shit places to get experience. So I say apply anyway.
X
Best thing to do is don't be fussy. Go with whatever you get, because you can always leave a job for a better place. I tried small places first, I just dropped my CV (I think a resume if you're American?) at a load of places and got lucky, the key is to just keep trying and go with whatever you get.
Barnes and Noble probably won't hire you. They're extremely choosy, and have a tendency to only hire friends of their longest-standing employees.

EDIT: Yeah, no way they're going to hire a 16 year old.

EDIT: To be perfectly honest, the only place I could see hiring a 16 year old who's still in school would be a grocery store (Dillon's, Hyvee, etc.) or McDonald's.
Last edited by goest at Oct 4, 2011,
Yeah, when you apply at Wendy's, they always ask for your Highschool transcripts so they can make sure your GPA is above a 3.0.

I'm shaking my head right now.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Yeah, when you apply at Wendy's, they always ask for your Highschool transcripts so they can make sure your GPA is above a 3.0.

I'm shaking my head right now.

I'm good bro, my GPA is 4.3 right now.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned for respecting my opinion and politely disagreeing.
You're probably the most respectful person in the Pit.
Quote by Killer Bob 912
I'm good bro, my GPA is 4.3 right now.

Oh, well in that case you might even try Safeway. I hear their employees all have above a 4.0 GPA, you sophisticated gentleman, you.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Oh, well in that case you might even try Safeway. I hear their employees all have above a 4.0 GPA, you sophisticated gentleman, you.

What is this GPA lark people keep wittering about?
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
^ he asked if his GPA would help land him a job at the places he listed.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
As has been mentioned, apply everywhere. Your first job (and most of the ones after that) are gonna suck. So the main objective/motivation is experience and $$$.
Once you get an interview, dress nicely - if you have a suit wear it. Don't go to it in a t-shirt and jeans.
Answer questions directly - try not to "umm" and "uhh".
Look the interviewer(s) in the eye when you're speaking.

When looking to hire (especially entry-level positions) most businesses are looking for someone that has a decent personality, that is easy to get along with, and seems trainable.

Good luck.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
Quote by ultimate-rocker
Go to a workforce center. They ask you what kind of stuff are you interested in and find job openings for you based around those interests. That's what I did for my first job..

this

some states offer training in order to get you a job....

you can also just wash dishes at a restaurant...thats a popular job for teens
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
GPA means "Grade point average." Its a system of weighting your letter grades and averaging them to give a number. 4.0 means all As. 3.0 is all Bs, etc. Just be nice in the interview. Having a good GPA means you're responsible enough to handle school.

Also, didn't know any of these places had locations on Pluto.
Just don't use your teeth because that really hurts, and try some licking around the knob.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Whenever I start applying for summer jobs, I apply anywhere.
Even places that definitely won't hire me.
My mom once saw me applying for a clothes store and told me I won't get the job because I'm not gay or a girl. I applied anyway.