I am going to be purchasing either a Gibson SG standard or a Fender Jim Root Telecaster, but I can't decide. I am going to be putting EMG pickups in whatever I choose because I'll be playing heavy hardcore/metal, but I don't know which guitar will be best for this. Both are same price, so that is not a factor. Let me know what you think
well with the EMG's they are going to sound exactly the same. Pick whichever you like better. It makes zero difference.
Quote by killboypowerhed
well with the EMG's they are going to sound exactly the same. Pick whichever you like better. It makes zero difference.

No they won't.

They will however feel completely different.

Have you played either?

My vote would still be the MIA SG but if your going to be drop tuning the longer scale length of the Tele may be a deal breaker.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'd go with the Jim Root Tele because I personally love the Tele-shape. It's a solid guitar for your musicalstyle and you can always switch the pickups out if you don't like them. The neckprofile is also a bit slimmer which I personally like once again.
Sg Sg Sg Sg Sg Sg
Quote by x_Hezee_x

My favorite bands are: Nickleback, Staind, Green Day, Disturbed and many more. I also like Songs that are being used in the WWE.

So gimme a shout out! im really looking for a Guitar Buddy
Tele, far better weight distribution and the scale length and lower profile fixed bridge make for a much nicer playing experience
Last edited by gman128 at Oct 4, 2011,
jim root tele personally, but ive never played either i prefer the 25.5 scale length and i love the style.
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
Jackson RR24 White with black bevels
Quote by killboypowerhed

seriously i dont want to start this argument again but go out and try a few different guitars with EMG's in and try them back to back

i had an ibanez prestige rg2550 with 85/81 and my custom also with 85/81, so basswood & maple vs mahogany body and neck and there is a big difference.
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
Jackson RR24 White with black bevels
I'd go for the SG. MIA, higher quality hardware, better build quality, better fret access. But if you're going to tune lower than C# then you'll definitely want the longer scale of the Tele.
Quote by gman128
Tele, far better weight distribution and the scale length and lower profile fixed bridge make for a much nicer playing experience

This.

If you have a good EQ pedal, most of the tonal differences won't matter as much because you can EQ it to your liking.

It's really going to come down to neck profile, bridge, and scale length more than anything, imo.
just get a epiphone sg and then do emg's. will sound exactly the same as the gibson sg.

emg's = poop.
Quote by 00_hns_00
just get a epiphone sg and then do emg's. will sound exactly the same as the gibson sg.

emg's = poop.

For fuc-

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Its just stupidity and ignorance.

Its like saying, oh yeah everybody using a 6505 sounds the same...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by 00_hns_00

emg's = poop.

STFU and GTFO...

seriously..
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
oh no, someones mad on the internet.

being that active emg's are voiced to have a certain frequency response, tonewoods barely matter (if at all). the "active" just means its powering its own set frequencies based upon the note played.
thats lots of text. no video though. just a bunch of people saying "thats a lie, emg81/90's (or whatever they are called) are awesome.

i see no video showing a all maple guitar, and a all mahogany guitar, with every other parameter the same (cap's pickups, pick, wire, frets, nut, strings, age of strings, tuning, person) and comparing the tonality responses between them.

emgs are indeed amazing for chugging, they were designed to chug. but don't tell me i'm wrong without having any proof besides your word.
they werent designed to chug. they were designed for Jazz players.

why do you need a video and if you really knew anything about tone you would be able to know that the subtle nuances of guitars is going to be lost on a poor quality youtube video played through headphones or laptop speakers.

why dont you go and play various emg equipped guitar instead of just repeating something you read on the web?

its not just my word, its just a plain fact.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
i'm saying this from my personal experience, they all sound really fake to me. like overpowered and thin.

i've tried various shecter, esp, and ibanez guitars with them. didn't like any of them.

and i didn't say youtube video. i would preffer the uncompressed file and it be emailed to me or something, besides, i think my entertainment system has good enough speakers.
overpowered and thin?

wut?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by 00_hns_00
i'm saying this from my personal experience, they all sound really fake to me. like overpowered and thin.

i've tried various shecter, esp, and ibanez guitars with them. didn't like any of them.

so you tried them in shitty guitars. makes sense now.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Tom 1.0
overpowered and thin?

wut?

like, too loud, and too midrangy, to the point where you think its too trebly, but its really not.

and since i treid them in shitty guitars, do you have a recomendation for a specific guitar to try them on? i tried them with an eclipse 2, into a hot rod deluxe.
when i think of amps that would best suit EMGs, the first one i think of is not an HRD.

i'd say they have a pretty flat eq response.

PAFs are more mid rangy to my ears.

srsly though, it's pretty well documented that i am not a fan so just consider me a hater 81/85s.

they have a place though, somewhere i'm sure.

if you like them great, jam out with your clam out.

no hate, different strokes.
Quote by 00_hns_00
like, too loud, and too midrangy, to the point where you think its too trebly, but its really not.

and since i treid them in shitty guitars, do you have a recomendation for a specific guitar to try them on? i tried them with an eclipse 2, into a hot rod deluxe.

Wtf?

By your description it's sounds like your amp setting were either horrid, or you are lying.

I don't like actives very much either, but they definitely don't sound like what you described.
Quote by gregs1020
when i think of amps that would best suit EMGs, the first one i think of is not an HRD.

i'd say they have a pretty flat eq response.

PAFs are more mid rangy to my ears.

srsly though, it's pretty well documented that i am not a fan so just consider me a hater 81/85s.

they have a place though, somewhere i'm sure.

if you like them great, jam out with your clam out.

no hate, different strokes.

then whats a good guitar and amp to try? bear in mind i don't play jazz, nor do i play hard rock, nor metal.

it may just be that they really can't fit my style, idk. i mean, they look cool and all, but i haven't really heard a set that made me go "wow, so much better than their passive counter-parts"
I'm not a fan of SGs but I'd go with the SG over the Jim Root tele simply because its a Jim Root tele.

Haters gonna hate.
scale length isnt that big of a deal for string tension IMO. i cant play 10-42 or 46 or what ever it is in standard wether its 24.5" or 25.5" or anywhere in between. to me it makes a bigger difference on the spacing on the frets.

thats just my 2 cents. and Id say the tele, but both are kinda over priced IMO.
Quote by 00_hns_00
then whats a good guitar and amp to try? bear in mind i don't play jazz, nor do i play hard rock, nor metal.

it may just be that they really can't fit my style, idk. i mean, they look cool and all, but i haven't really heard a set that made me go "wow, so much better than their passive counter-parts"

i don't want to thread jack. maybe make a thread?

TS - SG
Quote by 00_hns_00

If you were standing in front of me I would punch you
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by DamagingExcess
If you were standing in front of me I would punch you

no you wouldn't.

you'd probably hit on her.