K - new to MACs (but UNIX background); new to recording.

guitar > input R (guitar) of us-144.
us-144 is going out to monitors

MAC sound is played through us-144, other choice is internal monitors.

I setup my US-144, latest drivers and firmware on my new macpro so US-144 appears to be working correctly. But before I even start GB I have Clean Guitar sound coming out of my monitors . Which you think would be a good sign, however:

If i start GB, I can select my input and use the amps & stomp boxes, but I still have that clean guitar sound played overtop of my garage band sound output. Does that make sense. So its like two guitars playing at once. One clean through the mac OS and the other dirty through GB. Does that make sense, or am I just hearing things?

Be nice if i played the guitar and no sound came out of my MAC, without garageband open?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks again!!

Boyd
First thing. Download Reaper. It's just a better daw than garage band. When that's done downloading open it and go to preferences and find where your inputs are and make sure your interface is selected and see if the problem still continues.
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff
Actually I don't think this is a GB problem. I think and I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's just an issue with the MAC OS.

It's like having two apps open, youtube and quicktime, and them both playing. The sound overlaps one another.

Any MAC users out there know what I'm talking about? If you have your interface connected can you play guitar without an app open? I think i might need to have some setting turned off?
I have never used the US 144 and very little garage band experience....but...

On the US-144 is their a like monitor knob? Like all the way left dry and all the way right wet. If so move that all the way right.

Also in GB make sure the signal is all wet and not dry at all. If you are routing a dry signal to a channel then routeing that to another channel to get a distortion make sure the dry channel is not going to the master channel.

I believe what I am saying is your problems I just lack the experience with the interface and the program to give you exact instructions. Either a knob on your monitoring on your interface is not right or your dry is also going to your master and not just your wet signal in garageband.
Quote by FireHawk
I have never used the US 144 and very little garage band experience....but...

On the US-144 is their a like monitor knob? Like all the way left dry and all the way right wet. If so move that all the way right.

Also in GB make sure the signal is all wet and not dry at all. If you are routing a dry signal to a channel then routeing that to another channel to get a distortion make sure the dry channel is not going to the master channel.

I believe what I am saying is your problems I just lack the experience with the interface and the program to give you exact instructions. Either a knob on your monitoring on your interface is not right or your dry is also going to your master and not just your wet signal in garageband.

This is almost certainly the problem - was going to say the same thing last night but couldn't be bothered to type it all on my phone and the Mac/spare room is too far from my bed just to comment on a thread

I googled the interface - you need to turn the 'Mon Mix' knob all the way to 'computer' and should notice that now you're only hearing the DAW's output.

Before, you would have been monitoring the input to your interface (before it even leaves the unit and reaches the Mac) and then listening to the signal again as it returns from GB. I'm suprised you didn't notice based on the latency alone between the two signals

Also, while I'm not an Apple fanboy (only Apple product I own is my Mac and its peripherals - never wanted an iPod/Pad/Phone really) I will attest to the fact that if you have a problem it is rarely the fault of OS X or the Mac; I've had my Mac since the end of '08 and haven't had a problem with it once, it is very bug-free compared to the last version of Windows I had (though I did love XP, and if my old laptop still worked at a usable speed/had a living battery, I would probably still use it for portable stuff) and everything designed to work on a Mac usually does because their isn't a big variation in the hardware that designers need to make drivers for - unless you mod your Mac, you already have all the drivers you're likely to need unless you have a very old Mac, but Software Update adds any new drivers anyway as long as they're compatible with your version of Mac OS.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Oct 5, 2011,
I was stupid;

Overlooked the mono mix volume on my us-144. I turned it all the way down and that did the trick.