I was wondering, if 2 "single coil sized humbuckers" could fit in a humbucker slot, be wired in series to make some sort of really high gain super humbucker, would that work or is that a pipe dream?
Epi Les Paul/Swineshead Venom pickups
THD: UniValve Head
Lopo line 4x12/Celestion V30's @ 16ohms
That's just overkill, imo, unless you want to have a switch that activates the extra humbucker for some kind of overdrive. But why not just get a good high output humbucker, sound good, and save the money?

Look at the DImarzio Super 3 for a good high output humbucker.
Overkill sounds loverly, but wondering how much more gain could i get? i have the swineshead venom pickups, but am looking at the bill and becky's l500xl/r. better off just going with B&B? i dont know if it's my amp or me, but swineshead not too good with pinch. could be just me.
hey thanks for the link, gonna pull up a bunch of youtube videos and see which sounds the best, the price is fairly decent, compared to most pickups.
Quote by scarekrow
Overkill sounds loverly, but wondering how much more gain could i get? i have the swineshead venom pickups, but am looking at the bill and becky's l500xl/r. better off just going with B&B? i dont know if it's my amp or me, but swineshead not too good with pinch. could be just me.

You don't need a super high output pickup to do pinch harmonics. you probably need to work on your technique.

I don't get why your want more gain than a regular high output pickup can offer, unless you're trying to make up for having a low gain or just bad sounding amp.
well it is a blues jr. not the highest gain amp in the world. and i have no use for clean tones, can't stand it.
Quote by scarekrow
well it is a blues jr. not the highest gain amp in the world. and i have no use for clean tones, can't stand it.

It's a very terrible idea to try and use a higher output humbucker to compensate for your amp's lack of gain.

Try looking into some gain pedals or a new amp instead.
so what can i do, i've looked at overdrive after overdrive till i'm sick of looking. nothing sounds like the sound i want. and a new amp is out of the question as i am dirt poor. hence the option of a 70 dollar pickup sounded good.
Last edited by scarekrow at Oct 4, 2011,
I'm not a pedal guy, but you should take a look at the gear forum and maybe ask them what a good high gain pedal for a decent price would be, then try and find one on sale or used.

You can always sell the amp and buy something with more gain too.
Dimebucker + Boss Metal zone and SD-1

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
i never have had luck selling amps, ups wants a c-note just to ship an amp to someone probably not willing to pay over 300 in the first place..
Quote by scarekrow
not too good with pinch. could be just me.
It's just you. Pinch harmonics are all technique. Watch some videos of Billy Gibbons. He abuses pinch harmonics like nobody else and he uses vintage amps with low gain, no boosts and low output pickups.

But yeah if you insist on retarded output then just use a motherbucker, there is no other passive pickup on the market that can beat it for total output and even active pickups equal it in spec but don't actually drive an amp as hard. The Motherbucker is all mids which is where you get most of the drive from.
Quote by scarekrow
so what can i do, i've looked at overdrive after overdrive till i'm sick of looking. nothing sounds like the sound i want.

You won't get the sound you want out of your proposed setup.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Dimebucker + Boss Metal zone and SD-1
Don't forget to run through a CRUSHING Marshall MG100. Scoop all your mids out, max out the treble and bass and get a compressor pedal too if you can afford it.
i'll just give up then. <shrug>
Quote by scarekrow
i'll just give up then. <shrug>

No mate, just sell your amp and look for something more metal.

Never give up

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
on a side note, i was looking at a behringer vt-999 sounded pretty good to my ears. 54 bucks, not a bad deal.
Quote by scarekrow
on a side note, i was looking at a behringer vt-999 sounded pretty good to my ears. 54 bucks, not a bad deal.

Honestly, I'd try and sell the amp, and get a used Peavey 6505+ or a Bugera 6260. But, like I said, I'm not a pedal guy.
Pickups will never make up for something your amp lacks. Pickups make up a very small percentage of your tone compared to your amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
About the pinch harmonics, use a Jazz3 pick (small, hard and pointy), and work on how you do it. I can do pinch harmonics okay with my Epi SG Spec. Those pickups on that are fairly weak.
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~