A teacher, honestly.

Magazines are not books, and books are not people. You need to get a real teacher.
Where's Waldo?
I refer to the magazines as "comic books." Some useful infomation, but mostly just a bunch of ads and articles promoting sponsors products. Read with a grain of salt....
TotalGuitar, in the UK at least. Lots of beginners stuff. Was subscribed for a few years.

Got bored of it and got a subscription to GuitarTechniques instead, thats aimed at a much more advanced player though.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Total guitar is great, but for a beginner it is not going to be so great as it has a lot of advanced stuff and intermediate stuff. Its more aimed at people with grounding on guitar alredy. I'm not saying it is not still beneficial, because it is, but you will need more.

I recommend websites like guitarlessons365.
Quote by chadreed32
A teacher, honestly.

Magazines are not books, and books are not people. You need to get a real teacher.

This.

I don't buy Guitar Magazines
what if you cant afford a teacher? i mean around here your looking at 50 for an hour...and on a fixed budget i just dont got that kinda cash
Quote by darren19822000
what if you cant afford a teacher? i mean around here your looking at 50 for an hour...and on a fixed budget i just dont got that kinda cash

Well I find this great, and its free:

http://www.guitarlessons365.com/lessons-archive/
Quote by darren19822000

The internet is a massive repository and complete wealth of information. Tips, things to learn, tabs, tutorials, etc. You'll never run out of new things you can learn and try.

Guitar magazines aren't cheap either btw.
Quote by Phoenix V
The internet is a massive repository and complete wealth of information. Tips, things to learn, tabs, tutorials, etc. You'll never run out of new things you can learn and try.

Guitar magazines aren't cheap either btw.

This.
The internet is an incredible resource for learning guitar, there's so much information that can be found and people on this forum are pretty much always willing to point you in the right direction if you're struggling.
Having said that, it might be worth getting one or two lessons from an actual teacher, just to have someone who knows what they're doing point out any mistakes for you to work on. You can also submit videos of yourself playing on this forum and we'll try and point out any mistakes.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
I took lessons for about a year about 9 years ago but put the guitar down (personal reasons) until recently. I can not afford lessons and the magazines I mentioned are $14.95 for a year not like the ones the have been suggested for $100+ for a year. The idea of the magazines is another source to help me learn from and a source of inspiration.
Quote by kidthorazine
I took lessons for about a year about 9 years ago but put the guitar down (personal reasons) until recently. I can not afford lessons and the magazines I mentioned are $14.95 for a year not like the ones the have been suggested for $100+ for a year. The idea of the magazines is another source to help me learn from and a source of inspiration.

The way I see it, every 3 publications, gets you a lesson. This is far more valuable in terms of progressing your skills and knowledge.

But really in the end that's all up to you. If you enjoy having a bit of the read of the magazines then fine.

But don't go equating that to thinking you're going to gain skills anywhere near as cleanly or as fast from Guitar magazines as you would from combining what you can find online with some lessons. The two don't even compare.
Magazines are a good way of keeping up with the latest gear I find. They also feature some awesome interviews which are a great source of inspiration and gives you ideas you can use. They don't teach you A-Z as people here have already pointed out but they are a good companion when you practice to try some new licks here or there or to pick up a new technique.

As people have said the net is also good for this but I prefer something tangible that I can take with me to work or wherever that has a host of things for me to check out without having to visit 15 different websites. Out of the two you suggested I read both and they are both slightly different in subtle ways such as the genres of players they interview and the delivery of information. I out of preference though i like Guitar Player better.
This thread makes me feel bad to be subscribed to Guitar World... I love the interviews...
I wouldn't feel bad, I have learnt some interesting tidbits from magazines. There's just a lot of naysayers in the world.
Don't take it wrong. If you like the mag and love the ads and interviews then thats fine.

But thats totally seperate from mags as being the leg up for a beginner as replacement for a tutor and internet resources.

Its not naysaying, it's just the way it is. If you really wanna improve your guitar playing, a glossy mag loaded with 70% ads, some articles, some reviews and a short tips and letters section just isn't going to do that.
Last edited by Phoenix V at Oct 6, 2011,
Quote by Duality Ninja
This thread makes me feel bad to be subscribed to Guitar World... I love the interviews...

Its not saying its a bad magazine, its just saying its maybe not the best for a begginer to learn from.

And thread starter, for the price of a guitar world subscription you could get a couple of rock house DVD's, which are great for learning from. They have DVD's aimed at all sorts of levels.
Another great online resource is Justin Guitar

Starts with very basic lessons that any beginner will find useful and goes all the way up to advanced lessons.
Quote by CT_Eagle
Another great online resource is Justin Guitar

Starts with very basic lessons that any beginner will find useful and goes all the way up to advanced lessons.

Yeah, I'd say Justin and the one I suggested are the two leading sites for free lessons.

Both are very good.
I subscribed to Guitar Player for about 10 years and found it a wonderful source of information.
Yes, magazines live by advertising, so you get nice glossies of all the new stuff...
But, you also get intelligently written articles and lessons from top players. Also, interviews (in-depth, guitar-oriented interviews... Not "what's your favorite color?" interviews) with ALL the current hot guitarists in ALL styles.
I found it worth every penny.
Some folks are better at learning stuff "from the page" than others; I happen to be pretty good at it.
Currently, they usually give you recorded material with each issue as well.
I get TG, and I find choosing one song to learn per issue really helps. It's also opened my eyes to classical music, with Canon in D, so I went looking for other classical guitary stuff. If you're getting it soley for instruction, you're getting ripped off. If you enjoy the magazine part as well, go ahead.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Guitar World appears to be better suited for beginner guitarists. Guitar Player is also a good resource for a beginner artist but seems to be more geared towards accomplished musicians. Both are great magazines with interesting articles and plenty of info about new gear and songs.
I have the suggested online guitar lesson sites plus a few more and am using them. My train of thought is to use as many sources as are available that work for me which also includes a magazine or two.
Wow, I'm jelaous. There aren't any guitar magazines here, much less a choice.
Good old Pete. Isn't he too old to masturbate? - Pete Townshend
Don't mind your make-up, you better make your mind up. - Frank Zappa
Acoustic Guitar is put out by (I believe) the same publishers as Guitar Player, and also has a lot of content per issue.
Their website is OK, but the forum is rather slow and almost everything in the instructional line is pay-for-play.
i only buy guitar magazine when the cover attracts me...dont rly suggest learning through a magazine, try to look for some tutorials on youtube