Hi all, I'm writing a song and so far I have chords for the chorus which are (in this order):

x32033
x22033

But I now need chords for the verses and I'm a little short on music theory (I've been playing but just two months).

If anyone could recommend more chords that go with these I'd be greatful!
Quote by Lavace
Hi all, I'm writing a song and so far I have chords for the chorus which are (in this order):

x32033
x22033

But I now need chords for the verses and I'm a little short on music theory (I've been playing but just two months).

From the looks of it here, you're in G major, so maybe try these

xx0233 or xx0232
and
x02213
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by smcstoronto1234
xxxxx1

TS, you're not going to get anywhere by asking people to give you chords. You're not even getting the feel that you want out of the song, if you ask us for the chords.

Surely if you came up with those chords, you can come up with other ones? Try shifting the root notes around and building off of them in a consonant way (because surely you can still tell what sounds good and what doesn't?)

That being said, learn the major and minor scales. Pretty basic stuff, but it'll help a lot.
Quote by Lavace

x32033
x22033

Your chords are:

C9 (or add9, someone better versed in naming chords can correct me)
Em7
G
G9

I'll leave the rest to you.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Lavace

x32033
x22033

Stop.

Play that progression a few times, listen to it. Get a sense of how it feels.

Now stop playing and THINK. Listen to the silence. What sound do YOU want to hear next?

Now figure out how to make your guitar make that sound.

You're pretty solidly in a G Major place, so other chords that are likely to work are D, C, Em, Am, and Bm. You may also find interesting ways to make F, Eb, Bb, A, B, and Cm work. But remember - hear it first, then figure out how to play it!
Yeah your progression is basically C Em G, with some added notes and pretty voicings. If the key is G (does it resolve, or sound 'finished' on the G chord?) then there are a seven diatonic chords that are within the key of G major;

G (major7), A minor (7), B minor (7), C (major7), D (7), E minor (7), F# dim (7)

Any of those should work but may not be what you are looking for, you may just have to experiment. Just because a chord isn't strictly in key doesn't mean it will sound bad. For example, Sittin on the Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding is in G major but that has a B major chord in it, and thats an awesome song.

Try using D, Dsus2 and Dsus4.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Lavace

x32033
x22033

You might consider a period of learning/practicing and playing the guitar before trying to write your own music on it. Once you've developed some basic knowledge and skills you'll find that you can write your own songs. It generally takes longer than 2 months.

Quote by AlanHB
Your chords are:

C9 (or add9, someone better versed in naming chords can correct me)
Em7
G
G9

I'll leave the rest to you.

^ yeah, it's Cadd9. C9 would have a Bb in it

add 9's are a triad + 9,
9th chords are a 7th chord + 9

1 3 5 9 VS 1 3 5 b7 9
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 4, 2011,
Quote by GuitarMunky
^ yeah, it's Cadd9. C9 would have a Bb in it

add 9's are a triad + 9,
9th chords are a 7th chord + 9

1 3 5 9 VS 1 3 5 b7 9

Cheers - thanks for the help.

Just as a question, is there a historical reason why 9th/13th etc chords include the other extensions? Is it just for ease of expression?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by GuitarMunky
You might consider a period of learning/practicing and playing the guitar before trying to write your own music on it. Once you've developed some basic knowledge and skills you'll find that you can write your own songs. It generally takes longer than 2 months.

No, I absolutely believe in writing one's own music from the outset, and it's great that you're doing so.

As you progress you'll be able to go back and see what you were actually playing, while your compositional skills will improve hand in hand with your theory knowledge and playing ability, each pushing the other forward.
You seem to be playing variations on the open (<-wrong word?) voicing of a G chord for your other shapes, so to "mix it up" maybe try playing barre chords for the chorusYou can easily get a major, minor, minor7, minor9 and 6th chords from one position. Theory wise it may be a bit over your head, but maybe just noodle around with fingerings of a certain root position shape until something sounds right.
For example:
E to e:
3-5-5-4-3-3 = G major
3-5-5-3-3-3 = G minor
3-5-3-3-5-3 = G7sus4
3-3-5-5-3-3 = Gsus4 or Csus2
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AlanHB
Cheers - thanks for the help.

Just as a question, is there a historical reason why 9th/13th etc chords include the other extensions? Is it just for ease of expression?

Yes

Chords are made of stacking thirds, and C9 implies that 3rd are stacked up until (and including) the 9th.

When there are added notes (Cadd9) they are traditionally meant as ornamentation, while when chords are extended (on the dominant) they traditionally serve a harmonic function.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??