I was looking at some of the lessons and some genres of music had a set of specific power chords and riffs they use. Is there any for hardcore/mathcore punk and such?
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
There's only one sort of power chord - a fifth chord.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I think he means scale degrees to use as roots for those powerchords. Right?

Even if you don't want to learn theory, there's no denying that at least knowing basic terms like "scale degree" and "root" helps you communicate better with other musicians.
Quote by Cloudkicker
I was looking at some of the lessons and some genres of music had a set of specific power chords and riffs they use. Is there any for hardcore/mathcore punk and such?

If you learn the actual music, you'll find out.
shred is gaudy music
I think he means voicings.

I've never listened to those bands or that genre of music so I don't know.

Would it be sensible to look at a few tabs of their stuff and find out?
Last edited by Jehannum at Oct 5, 2011,
From the bands you've mentioned, they tend to use drop tunings, which is why the power chord shapes are different from the standard shape you learn as a beginner.

Essentially, a power chord will always contain the same intervals which are R and 5th, but the tunings will determine the actual shape of the chord.
Quote by Cavalcade
I think he means scale degrees to use as roots for those powerchords. Right?

Even if you don't want to learn theory, there's no denying that at least knowing basic terms like "scale degree" and "root" helps you communicate better with other musicians.

Are the Theory lessons on this website any good or should i get a book or something?
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
there arent alot of possibilities so try out.

try 577 567 578 556 etc....If you wanna sound like them look at the tabs. then do your thing.
As far as I know there's no chord that is special for them. Sounds and harmonies mostly
emerge by two guitars that make it cool by playing two different chords together. its endless TS!!!!

have a tritone or minor second in the chords and you will do fine for math.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF YOU READ 'H' I MEAN 'B'

GERMAN H = AMERICAN B

Quote by BlackmetalGitar
there arent alot of possibilities so try out.

try 577 567 578 556 etc....If you wanna sound like them look at the tabs. then do your thing.

A powerchord is a root, a diminished fifth, and maybe an octave.
Out of those, only 577 is a powerchord.
Quote by Cavalcade
A powerchord is a root, a diminished fifth, and maybe an octave.
Out of those, only 577 is a powerchord.

diminished 5th ?????????????????????
I thought a power chord was just a root and a fifth; not a diminished fifth (which is the fifth note of your scale, but played one semi-tone down.)
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
^That would be called a dyad. There is some debate I think, as to whether a power chord could be viewed as a dyad. Freepower, it's rubbing off!
That depends on context.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
There's only so much creativity you can put in. You can incorporate major/minor 7ths and 3rds, change voicings, perhaps have an augmented or diminished fifth, or an inversion. All these are very similar to the basic power chord formula.

AM7 no 3, for example, would just be 576 rather than 577. Or AM no 5 would be 547.

Just fiddle with scale degrees, like any chord.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.