Hello,
I need to submit a thesis for an extended essay, but I'm having trouble even wording a question. Basically, what I've got so far is this:
- it is about Joseph Stalin and/or the USSR
- it needs to be strictly on the history (because I suggested writing it on how Stalinism was a betrayal of traditional communism, but my teacher rejected that idea, as it would be an essay on political theory, and not history)

I also have some broad ideas (such as writing an essay on the foreign policies of the USSR), but I don't know what kind of question to make from these ideas.

So, I turn to my good friend, the pit. What kind of question should I essayize (not a word), in regards to Joseph Stalin and/or the USSR? As I said, I was thinking of something on foreign policy, but my main problem is formulating a question around that idea. Essentially, this is a big case of writers block I need help with .

Thank you in advance to any responses!
I'm just like the Jonas Brothers,

I'm no longer relevant and write mediocre music.

Write about how the framework party bureaucracy of Lenin's vanguardism allowed the opportunistic Stalin to exploit it and gain power. It's an important thing to note when talking about the USSR in the first place, something that generally gets overlooked.
Last edited by due 07 at Oct 4, 2011,
joe stalin - **** or hero?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by due 07
Write about how the framework party bureaucracy of Lenin's vanguardism allowed the opportunistic Stalin to exploit it and gain power. It's an important thing to note when talking about the USSR in the first place, something that generally gets overlooked.

That's a great idea, but how could I back it up with concrete history? I can't delve into theory, which is a bummer in my opinion (as essays on theory are so much more fun). So my only worry is that this thesis, much like my original thesis, relies too much on political theory.

Quote by Tom 1.0
joe stalin - **** or hero?

I think this would be more of an editorial. But I'd personally say ****.

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Write about how Lennonism is better than McCartneyism.

Last edited by CPDmusic at Oct 4, 2011,
Quote by HitTheLights81

Always relevant. Also, this fits well with the Lennonism / McCartneyism comment.

Your teacher is wrong about the whole political theory thing. It's obviously a historical thesis which would compare the realities of the Soviet system with the tenets of orthodox Marxism. Sucks for you.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Your teacher is wrong about the whole political theory thing. It's obviously a historical thesis which would compare the realities of the Soviet system with the tenets of orthodox Marxism. Sucks for you.

It does suck for me. When we picked topics, I jumped all over the Stalin with that in mind. And then it was rejected, and now I'm stuck with the USSR and no thesis

why dont you look at why he felt he could trust another mental dictator and look into the Nazi/Soviet Pact? or the short term/long term effects of the constant purges?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
why dont you look at why he felt he could trust another mental dictator and look into the Nazi/Soviet Pact? or the short term/long term effects of the constant purges?

That could be good, especially the latter. I shall scribe your suggestions under a heading of "possible thesis".

Quote by CPDmusic
It does suck for me. When we picked topics, I jumped all over the Stalin with that in mind. And then it was rejected, and now I'm stuck with the USSR and no thesis

Is this for university or school? Either way, you should try and argue with your teacher. Political history is a perfectly valid form of the subject, and it obviously couldn't exist without political theory. Just say that the main content of the essay will be the historical facts, with a political focus.

If not, I'd possibly recommend an evaluation of Stalin himself. Recent historiography on the subject, as far as I'm aware, has been moving away from the idea that he was an evil, murdering psychopath. Historians are starting to see him as a complex individual operating in a complex social, political and economic situation, rather than some demon from Cold War propaganda.
They are, but that still leaves alot to be filled under "nutter"

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by CPDmusic

I need to submit a thesis for an extended essay, but I'm having trouble even wording a question.

In Soviet Russia, dictator became Stalin?
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Is this for university or school? Either way, you should try and argue with your teacher. Political history is a perfectly valid form of the subject, and it obviously couldn't exist without political theory. Just say that the main content of the essay will be the historical facts, with a political focus.

If not, I'd possibly recommend an evaluation of Stalin himself. Recent historiography on the subject, as far as I'm aware, has been moving away from the idea that he was an evil, murdering psychopath. Historians are starting to see him as a complex individual operating in a complex social, political and economic situation, rather than some demon from Cold War propaganda.

It's high school, and you do have a point, but I'm not going to bother debating it, because I need to submit a thesis tomorrow. Also, an evaluation of Stalin would be interesting. I always thought of him as a complex individual, although I did also think he was nuts in the head. But it tends to be that some of the most complex individuals are, to some extent, nuts.

Quote by Kevin19
In Soviet Russia, dictator became Stalin?

When I asked a friend for a suggestion, they said "In Soviet Russia, essay write you." I wanted to kick them in the face.