A lot of the stuff I've read about them have been very negative,and that they suck.The most common insult was "Sellouts or The kings of sellouts."But here's the question:Why do people hate KISS so much?I don't see any good reason why to hate them with a burning passion(many people here do for some reason).So why so much hate?

Also i want to elaborate on the term "Sellouts."You all probably know what sellouts mean,which is a person who gives up artistry for money and popularity(or something along the lines of that)Isn't a sellout suppose to be a good thing?

Like...Having nice houses to live in,nice cars,food,tons of guitar stuff,equipment,and loads of money.So how is being a sellout a bad thing if you can have all this?Sure you would say that they continuously release bad albums,but hey to get all this money and popularity is suppose to be a good thing.Why are people treating it as if it's a bad thing?

No I'm not a KISS fan,and this isn't intended to be a flame post or anything,I just want to discover the answer to this hate.
Because Gene's full of himself and says stupid things. Also they have like their own version of like... everything man. But I do agree that the hate is kinda ridiculous. My father is a huge KISS fan but never fell in to the merchandise part. But also a lot of people think that as a band they're just mediocre and just use the stage show to keep making money. So basically people think that they're money.
Apt username there. Some would argue that music should come first in a band, so "selling out" i.e. compromising the music solely to make money and be popular is frowned upon.

But KISS in particular... I think some hate probably comes from people who don't even care about the music and read the stupid stuff Gene says in the news.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Last edited by jthm_guitarist at Oct 4, 2011,
I think Megadethfan nailed it.

Gene's attitude and stunts give the band a bad image. The man is extremely smart and quick on his feet, but he is very arrogant and it's known that he's only in it for the money. In my opinion, their music is bland and easily forgettable.
I think the thing about Kiss is that enough is enough. I am a Kiss fan, have been for decades now. When they took off the make up it was the right time because the original band was gone. When they put the make up back on for the "goodbye" tours it was nostalgic cool. In current days you have Gene on his own piss poor reality show, the wig less Paul on every Fox channel in need of an interest story who is willing to show his paintings, and fake Ace and fake Peter wearing the original make up. I still like the classic Kiss material but when they kept going after the good bye tours they lost all credibility.
-----------------------------------
G.A.S. Afflicted
As others have said so well, they just suck, and Gene Simmons makes things ten times worse than the original fact. Please people let them fade into the sunset of oblivion.
Quote by jgritz
I think the thing about Kiss is that enough is enough. I am a Kiss fan, have been for decades now. When they took off the make up it was the right time because the original band was gone. When they put the make up back on for the "goodbye" tours it was nostalgic cool. In current days you have Gene on his own piss poor reality show, the wig less Paul on every Fox channel in need of an interest story who is willing to show his paintings, and fake Ace and fake Peter wearing the original make up. I still like the classic Kiss material but when they kept going after the good bye tours they lost all credibility.

Oh jesus, I forgot about that one That show has to be one of the worst tv shows ever made.
grew up in the70s so of course that included Kiss. many rock fans didn't take them seriously and thought the music was simplistic garbage (remember that bands like Yes and ELP were huge then). Kiss was more of a cartoon band than "serious" musicians. as for the sell out part well that's kinda funny. they marketed themselves instead of having others exploit their popularity, pretty smart actually. i mean the Beatles had dolls, posters, lamps etc being sold to the public but they didn't earn much from them, kiss was smart and made the money. the only thing that Kiss did wrong was to become trendy music wise. after Love Gun they really started to suck. this kinda alienated the older fans (myself included).
If you like them you like them...if you don't you don't...There are so many bands that fall in this category.
Last edited by F4R3W311 at Oct 6, 2011,
They were not featured as prominently in the UK when I was growing up and when I got around to checking them out I was, to be honest, pretty disappointed. I found the music to be pretty lackluster and quite dull. The imagery was interesting but that was about it.

Only latterly, with Gene being a fool in public, Paul promoting anything with six strings and the re-emergence of the merchandising have actually made me go out of my way to avoid them.

Whilst I don't actually hate them, I have zero interest or like of anything they are associated with.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
I dont really hate KISS as such, they are what they are , But Gene Simmons always comes across as a really shitty excuse for a human being who never does himself or his band any favours whenever he opens his mouth.
Here's the deal about entertainment:

Given that there are now seven billion people in the world, that means seven billion different ways of viewing things. Therefore, even if God descended to earth and started jamming there would still be, guaranteed, at least 1 billion of those people would hate him as much as I hate eggplant (bleah). If you are a musician and can't accept that then go sell shoes. And if you are a fan of music and someone hates on your band you just chalk it up to a difference in sensibilities and leave it at that instead of contemplating committing felonies on the other person to get him to agree with you.

As for rock critics, they're a bunch of pc tone deaf art fags who write more for each other than the public. None of them are worth taking seriously. Round 'em up along with music video directors and machine gun them into a ditch f or crimes against music. Nobody would miss 'em.
Quote by Born2Fun
i hate them because without their antics and fireworks and face painting, nobody would know them. yet they're huge!

same reason, i'm not a big phish fan. people go for the antics (i.e. "the Scene") and not so much the quality of the music.

Anybody I've ever talked to about Phish was definitely more into the quality of music than watching some guys that aren't afraid to do some silly shit on a stage.

Does humor belong in music? - FZ

As for KISS, I don't even think that they're humorous. At least not intentionally. I've laughed at them, but never with them.

To answer your question, TS, I'm sure that the reason they get hated on here is because we are guitarists and musicians in general. We know that the songs are mediocre at best, because we can play. We know empty raucous when we hear it. We know shit when we step in it. We know a live album that has been spliced together (piece by piece, not song by song) from several dozen different shows when ill fortune has us listening to it.

They suck. They're assholes. They're soulless pukes. They're piss-poor songwriters. They're shitheads with ridiculous make-up. They're fakers. They dress crappy songs with bombast and, like charlatans, expect people to buy their trickery.

Gene Simmons is a conniving, selfish, arrogant, lying, delusional, cutthroat piece of shit that has consumed far more attention and oxygen than he was ever worth. And when you're that low, the size of your house and the quality of your toys means absolutely nothing.

That, is why KISS is hated.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Quote by Born2Fun
same reason, i'm not a big phish fan. people go for the antics (i.e. "the Scene") and not so much the quality of the music.
Yeah, that's just not true at all. Go read one of the many Phish messageboards out there...their fans are about as critical of and passionate about the music as I've ever seen.

On topic: enough has been said here.

***CLOSED***

How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.