i have a p and a j bass. i have flats and round that i want to use.

which would u put on which bass and why and what rounds would you use
It depends on what you're playing man.
As for rounds I'm a bit lost at the moment. I don't think the R.Cocco's I've got on one of my Jazzes at the moment really match up with it well, next on my shopping list are some LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels after loving the nickle plated steel cores of theirs I've currently got on my Bongo.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Some bright roundwounds would make for some great slappin' on the jazz bass, at least IMO. And putting the flats on a P-bass would have a really good thumping low end to it. So I'd go flats on the P and rounds on the J
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Quote by consecutive e
It depends on what you're playing man.
As for rounds I'm a bit lost at the moment. I don't think the R.Cocco's I've got on one of my Jazzes at the moment really match up with it well, next on my shopping list are some LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels after loving the nickle plated steel cores of theirs I've currently got on my Bongo.

thats just it i have a wide spectrum.... tool muse metellica kty perry, alice in chgains.. audioslave ratm to name a few.(i do need a good slap tone)
Quote by ThrashMetal014
Some bright roundwounds would make for some great slappin' on the jazz bass, at least IMO. And putting the flats on a P-bass would have a really good thumping low end to it. So I'd go flats on the P and rounds on the J

I was going to say basically this. But there isn't a wrong way to do it.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Flats on the P, rounds on the J. This is something I will probably do in the future when I have alot of moniez.
pinga
I like P slap tone more than J. Skunkhour sold me on that.

Strings are a really personal thing. I think I've been through about 12 sets so far this year trying to find the right ones for me. I think I'm half way there.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
I like P slap tone more than J.

I totally agree.

The string spacing on a P is also more forgiving than the J.

P with rounds and J with Flats. Go!!

(also, check youtube, you can find sound examples of each)
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I've done both and it really is up to what you want to play man, putting the flats on the j limit it's versatility though, the main reason why i took them off my j.

On the other hand I, and a lot of other bassists (i'd say the majority), prefer p basses for slap.

At the moment i have rounds on both my p and j
I do usually like to slap a P-bass better, but honestly I like the tone of a jazz bass more. It's kinda weird, I'm torn between both. So I usually opt for something like a P/J bass.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Quote by Bass First
I've done both and it really is up to what you want to play man, putting the flats on the j limit it's versatility though, the main reason why i took them off my j.

Seeing as Jazz basses originally came with flats, and I play with flats on one I have to disagree, it's the same versatility but the tones have changed is all.

Now I am a strong proponent of flats, it's what I nearly always use, but last time I was playing in a band I was playing a borrowed P bass I spruced up and put rounds on, and when I got the tone right it was a great aggressive sound. They have the same neck length and everything, cut them long and try them on both is my advice.
Quote by askrere
Seeing as Jazz basses originally came with flats, and I play with flats on one I have to disagree, it's the same versatility but the tones have changed is all.

Argue all you like, flats do some genres great but just don't cut it for other genres. Whilst rounds can do pretty much everything pretty well. And your comment can go both ways, the tones have changed -exactly why it is less versatile.

inb4 jazz with rounds!?!?! if you're that traditional then use an upright

All that being said flats are my string of choice but, this is all subjective of course, they really don't cut through or have the sustain you want for more rock-y stuff.
Still It's an opinion, you have yours I have mine.]

Edit: I didn't mean to say it like flats were the only way to go, I meant more you kind of slighted the bass with flats, so I was merely trying to make the counter argument that it worked for me and others.

Besides every combination has been done and used by someone to great effect.
Last edited by askrere at Oct 6, 2011,
Conventional wisdom is definitely flats on the P, rounds on the J. But try it both ways.
Quote by consecutive e
I like P slap tone more than J. Skunkhour sold me on that.

+1

Anyways I have some Stainless Steel Lo-Riders on my P bass right now and it sounds massive.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Old flats + P-Bass = Extremely bassy sound. See James Jamerson.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Hello,
I was merely trying to make the counter argument that it worked for me and others.