Hey guys,

I'm back with more signal problems...yay. My podX3 live died on me recently, and I had an old line6 mm4 and fm4 sitting around and bought a dl4 because I have so much fun with them. I use a XXX half stack that has an effects loop and a few additional pedals. All in all, my signal goes something like this:

Guitar > NS2 Noise Suppressor > Amp (preamp stage) > Effects Loop Send > NS2 again > XP-100 Whammy Wah > Line6 FM4 > Line6 MM4 > Line6 DL4 > Boss RC-20XL Looper > Vox Snake Charmer Compressor > Effects Return > Amp (power amp) > Cab

Finally, there are a few eqs and volume controls along the way aside from guitar volume; I can do EQs/gain before the preamp stage, send level on effects loop on amp, noise gate/level control on XP-100 w/ signal and clip indicator, same thing on loop pedal with clip indicator, volume control on compressor, return level on effects loop on amp, and a master volume control on the amp.

Now that the info's out, my issue is I get varying changes in volume depending on the effects I'm using. If I'm using almost anything on the FM4 or MM4, my volume drops off considerably, even at reasonable mixes (like 50/50 wet/dry), and I don't have the best sustain regardless of effects used (it sounds decent enough but is lacking in terms of signal--I can tell by the signal indicator on the xp-100; when I strum, it lights up bright green then fades over the next 3 seconds no matter how long I fret the note). Moreover, if I increase the gate knob on the xp-100, I get into an area where I'm starting to clip often with a clean or amp-distorted signal, but still experience the volume drops when using the MM4 and FM4 especially and, of course, still notice the quick drop-off in my signal given what the xp-100 is telling me.

What should I do to rectify this? I can think of a few different things but have no idea what might be right or what may be the best for my tone of the possible solutions, so I figured I'd see if anyone can help or give some general suggestions; if you can, please respond! Thanks for reading my novel btw.
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
line6 stomboxes do have volume drops unfortunately. they are great units, but have volume drops.

http://jhv3.squarespace.com/dl4-mods/ has one of the best prices out there. and he also includes the hi-fi mod as part of his services. get it done on the am4 first, and then decide if you ant it for the fm4 and mm4.

drop every other pedal out though, and test every single one. it may not be your line6 boxes, it may be something else.
one thing about Line dl-4 and many other line 6 pedals ( like the uber metal ) .. they suck all the juice of a whole pedalboard for theirselve .

thing is to put these pedal on a separate power supply ( dont daisy chain with other pedals on a 1 spot adapter or ther eis no power left for the others ) and it will be fine .

hope that help . dont ask me why it does that .. but it does . dl-4 = separate power supply .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
well poo. I do already have them all on their own 9v adapter (each has it's own dedicated Line 6 PSU). It seems like it's more an issue of the signal than power, but what else would you recommend? 00_hns_00 I'll look into those mods
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Quote by MadMudgeN
well poo. I do already have them all on their own 9v adapter (each has it's own dedicated Line 6 PSU). It seems like it's more an issue of the signal than power, but what else would you recommend? 00_hns_00 I'll look into those mods

have you tried each pedal on its own, and seeing what happens? like i said, it could be one unit, or it could be the sum.

try running a noise supressor last, use the xp100 fm4 or mm4 in the input stage

with dl4 and then noise supressor in the effects loop. compressor can go anywhere. just depends on what you want compressed and such. try running it last.

what patch cables are you using? bad/notshielded/bad capacitance cables can suck out quite a bitch of clarity and volume, which could also be an issue.

if you are only having the issue when using line6 stuff, then it most likely is the volume problem i mentioned. the people i would go to is jhv3, or drasp on harmony central (or tgp, idk which it is).

i can say that a friend of mine sent his unit into jhv3, and he had the audio upgrade put into it, and signal loss was gone, and notes were slightly less muddy. there was also some less buzz/noise.

i also once heard that boss ns-2's will reduce the volume once more hiss is introduced, so that could also possibly be a problem.
Sell all your Line 6 pedals and get an M9 or M13. Seriously.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
^No way, if I was going to do that I would've just sold my X3 Live broken and my MM4 and FM4 and bought a Line6 HD 500. I guess I'll just have to mess around with the order some to see what I can do about getting the volume level up based on where everything is in the signal chain...

Also, 00_hns_00, I heard running the noise suppressor after delay/mod effects is bad because it can interpret them as noise and cut them out; is that true? Plus, I want the cleanest signal possible going into my pedals so they have the best signal to work off of. I may just need to get a second compressor/boost pedal for in between some of the line 6 pedals. Going to play with the current setup a bit first I suppose...
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Last edited by MadMudgeN at Oct 5, 2011,
Quote by MadMudgeN
^No way, if I was going to do that I would've just sold my X3 Live broken and my MM4 and FM4 and bought a Line6 HD 500. I guess I'll just have to mess around with the order some to see what I can do about getting the volume level up based on where everything is in the signal chain...

Also, 00_hns_00, I heard running the noise suppressor after delay/mod effects is bad because it can interpret them as noise and cut them out; is that true? Plus, I want the cleanest signal possible going into my pedals so they have the best signal to work off of. I may just need to get a second compressor/boost pedal for in between some of the line 6 pedals. Going to play with the current setup a bit first I suppose...

it may interpret its noise (but it shouldn't). noise suppressors are only supposed to get rid of the hum, how most acheive it (to my understanding) is by a gate effect (like a wall that only allows loud enough signals through). so if the ns-2 suppresses noise by a gate, then it could cut off some of the repeats for not being loud enough.

try the pedal after the delay, and see if you notice anything. if you don't, keep it there, if you do, then run it before the dl4.

edit: noise supressors are supposed to reduce noise before going into the amp, you shouldn't be getting noise (much at least) from your guitar. hum will naturally happen, but in no way should it be to the point that you think you need to reduce the hum immediately.... do you get lots of hum running straight to the amp?
Last edited by 00_hns_00 at Oct 5, 2011,