I have a really good soundcard. this is it.

http://www.audiotrak.net/products/prodigyhd2/

I also use Amplitube 3 and have been using a Toneport GX from line 6 to connect my guitar to my pc and get output. However I now want to use my soundcard because I want to see if it sounds better. If I select the soundcard as I/O device in Amplitube I get no output . I think it is because my guitar is not plugged into the soundcard?

I need help on how to use my soundcard to get output from my guitar. Is this even a good idea??
I was just looking online and I think I need an 1/8" to 1/4" guitar cable and I just plug it into the soundcards input. But I dont know if it would be a better thing to do would it?
Unless the soundcard is meant to be used in that way, you'll likely overload the input circuitry.
Quote by Fingerboy18
Unless the soundcard is meant to be used in that way, you'll likely overload the input circuitry.

That's not true. Most sound cards with a line in can handle a wide range of line level impendences. You're dealing with mili volts, not volts, so it wont hurt anything.
Quote by FireHawk
you record at a low level then just rely on the amp sims to amp it?

Sometimes, most times I use my SM-58 into a Mic amp, then line out the mic amp into my sound card. I have a bunch of amps, 5 to be exact, including the mic amp, so it depends on what I want to mic up.