Okay so my friend had Windows 8 (yes, 8) but he decided he didn't like it so he said he used some program to delete it. But then he couldn't put his Windows XP cd in and install it because some blue screen came up telling him there was a problem. So now I have the hard drive in my computer and was wondering how I could put windows xp on to his hard drive from my hard drive. (or from the windows xp disk) When I tried to install windows xp from my desktop, I didn't have an option of which hard drive to pick. So I was wondering if there was a way to even do this? Or a way to copy mine to his?

Thanks in advance, guys!
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Why would you want XP?

Because some people hate Vista.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by Gorelord666
Because some people hate Vista.

Despite the fact that Vista > XP (yes I went there) his friend claims to have Windows 8, and wants to skip over 7 and Vista straight to XP.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Despite the fact that Vista > XP (yes I went there) his friend claims to have Windows 8, and wants to skip over 7 and Vista straight to XP.

I didn't read the OP so I didn't see that he said Windows 8. Maybe he's a XP guy? XP always seemed simpler to me.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Is the XP disc 32 or 64 bit? I honestly can't think of why it would blue screen when you try to install. It should format the hard drive and install XP.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
haha xp looks like a funny smiley.
anyway, windows 8 is out already? didn't 7 just come out last year?
I don't know what it is. And it wasn't THE blue screen, it was a windows blue screen saying there was a problem with the computer.

Arguing over why he wants XP isn't productive. And if there's a section for this type of topic, I apologize for it being in the wrong section. I couldn't find a computer section.
Windows 8 isn't "out" yet. They released a free developer preview.

It boils down to being exactly the same as 7, but with the shitty touch screen GUI instead of the start menu. I'd avoid it and just stick to XP/7.
Quote by MakinLattes
Quote by Siv During Livh

Quote by stonedhippos

It's not the official version, it's the developer preview. I'm pretty sure it was clear that you weren't supposed to install it if you didn't know what you were doing...

And what do you mean TS? Do you want to copy your installation to his disk, or are you trying to install it from your computer? You could just take out your disk if it doesn't let you choose.

Quote by muffinduck01
Is the XP disc 32 or 64 bit? I honestly can't think of why it would blue screen when you try to install. It should format the hard drive and install XP.

And this.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Oct 4, 2011,
Quote by stonedhippos

Widnows 8 is in beta. Not out officially until early 2012.

All you need to do is boot from the XP disk and use that to reformat the hard drive.

when you boot up the pc, you should see a prompt on the BIOS screen that says (press (key) to enter boot menu. then put the CD in the drive and select that drive as your boot drive.

delete the partition already on your hard drive that has windows 8 beta on it, and then create a new partition for XP. then just follow the instructions to install.

There are lots of how to's on youtube about how to do this. It's quite easy.

I would guess if your friend is tech savvy enough to install a beta OS, he should know how to install a regular OS.

Also, Vista sucks. XP is okay but outdated. Windows 7 is where it's at, at least until we see more of Windows 8.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65

All you need to do is boot from the XP disk and use that to reformat the hard drive.

when you boot up the pc, you should see a prompt on the BIOS screen that says (press (key) to enter boot menu. then put the CD in the drive and select that drive as your boot drive.

delete the partition already on your hard drive that has windows 8 beta on it, and then create a new partition for XP. then just follow the instructions to install.

I would guess if your friend is tech savvy enough to install a beta OS, he should know how to install a regular OS.

Also, Vista sucks. XP is okay but outdated. Windows 7 is where it's at, at least until we see more of Windows 8.

I just thought of this and came in to post it.

TS, did your friend remember to change the boot order in BIOS? If its priority is to boot from the hard drive first, it's probably reading the left over Windows 8 stuff, trying to boot into that, and failing, hence the blue screen.
Quote by MakinLattes
Quote by Siv During Livh

I don't know if it's 32bit or 64 bit. I want to either copy my windows xp to his hard drive or install windows xp onto his hard drive from my xp disk.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Why would you want XP?

To level up, dumbass.
you're a stone fox
I've been thinking of trying Windows 8 in a virtual machine but haven't gotten around to it
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by Rawshik
I don't know if it's 32bit or 64 bit. I want to either copy my windows xp to his hard drive or install windows xp onto his hard drive from my xp disk.

You can't copy the OS from one system to another. You have to either do a fresh install, or back the OS up to an .ISO file and then install from that. But I can't remember if XP can do that, but I know Win7 can.

EDIT: Here is a link on how to install XP. If you can follow instructions, you can do this.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at Oct 4, 2011,
Quote by izbbass
I've been thinking of trying Windows 8 in a virtual machine but haven't gotten around to it

Just a heads up, but unless you have a CPU that supports virtualization, it wont work. I tried it on two different virtual machines on two different OS's, and it didn't work till I installed it on my PC.
Quote by MakinLattes
Quote by Siv During Livh

Quote by stonyman65
You can't copy the OS from one system to another. You have to either do a fresh install, or back the OS up to an .ISO file and then install from that. But I can't remember if XP can do that, but I know Win7 can.

EDIT: Here is a link on how to install XP. If you can follow instructions, you can do this.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

You can clone hard drives.
So basically I can format and install windows xp on this hard drive (which is his and is a slave right now) the same way I would do it for my normal hard drive? Does it give you an option?
Wait. If your friend knew enough to install a Dev preview of Windows 8 on his machine, yet he doesn't know how to install XP?

Also why are you asking for him? It sounds as if you know less about whats going on then he does.

Tell him to take it to a shop, wipe your hands of it, then tell him not to fuck with the OS again unless he REALLY knows what hes doing.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Didn't think you were a Macfag

No.

No I'm not.

I'd only consider buying one if they weren't like 5 times as expensive as a PC with the same specs.
Quote by stonyman65

do that & Computer thread.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o