I've been in need of a new bass and I have the choice of a vintage early 70's gibson grabber or a newer G&L L-2000 (the USA one). Both are the same price and my rig is a Hartke 7000 biamped to an ampeg 15" and a 4x10". I play mostly rock and I need anywhere from clean bassiness to aggressive bite so versatility is key, any help would be appreciated cause I frankly don't know which one to pick

G&L will get you your versatility. But the Gibson's got that cool factor. The sensible choice probably being the G&L.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
G&L will get you your versatility. But the Gibson's got that cool factor. The sensible choice probably being the G&L.

+1

If you really really want the Grabber, you should get the Grabber. If you're torn between the two (feel-wise/looks-wise/etc.) but want versatility, get the G&L.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
if you want to have cool vintage vibe, the grabber. otherwise, the G&L.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Get the G&L if you want versatility.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I'm not a fan of Gibson at all... but the Grabber is one of the 4 gibson basses i DO like.

That said... it's essentially a P bass. Same ball-park tone. Don't be fooled by the gimmicky sliding pickup, it doesn't effect tone much at ALL. The necks are a bit on the chunky side as well. But, they are VERY solid, and they totally do look very cool. Plenty of professional rock, indie, and punk bassists still use them. Again though, just immagine the Grabber as a re-packaged P. Can a P bass do everything YOU need it to? If yes, why NOT get the Grabber? It'll also serve as an investment, and they're only going up in collectabillity and price.

On the other hand... the G&L could serve PERFECTLY as your only bass for as long as 4 strings could get you by (if not... say hello to the L2500). Active, passive, P bass, Jazz bass, sigle H, HH... it does it all, and the usability of the L2000 is unmatched by anything else in its price-range. If G&L made a 30" L2000... i would never even play another bass, except maybe an L2500. The G&L is probably the 'smarter' choice.

Now, a couple more things:

-US G&L necks vary, depending on what the original buyer wanted... so you could vary well get a super thin Jazz neck, or a chuncky P bass neck, and maybe something in between.
-Though the Gibson is more streamlined and less prone to breaking... the G&L's parts are easier to find and replace. You just can't really go out and find cheap Grabber replacement pickups.

In either case, you won't be making a bad descision.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I haven't played or even seen an example of the reissue Grabber, so I can't tell you if it is a better bass than the originals. I remember those things from the 1970s and I recall they were large, heavy basses. Some of them came with a sliding pickup arrangement that was an invitation to breakage. There was a three-pickup version of one of them that was pretty cool.

Both the Grabber and the Ripper have developed something of a cult following in the last decade. For the longest time, you never saw them for sale used. Now they turn up from time to time. I'd rather have the G&L, but if the Grabber is for you, then go for it.

Be warned: people who play Grabbers and Rippers too much have a tendency to turn into Gene Simmons...

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Krist Novoselic of Nirvana used Grabbers and Rippers and thunderbirds, as well as a Jazz bass, Ibanez Eagle (jazz copy)
Quote by askrere
Krist Novoselic of Nirvana used Grabbers and Rippers and thunderbirds, as well as a Jazz bass, Ibanez Eagle (jazz copy)

Have you seen the beautiful train-wreck that IS the new Gibson Krist Novoselic Signature RD bass? http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Gibson-USA/Krist-Novoselic-Signature-RD-Bass.aspx

It's essentially some okay jazz pickups in a black'n'chrome RD bass... Being sold for $2000. You know... par-for-the-course for Gibson re-issue basses... and it won't sound as good as an original RD Artist or RD Standard...

On that note... i would KILL for an Ibanez Black Eagle. They should really get on the "Nirvana Nevermind 20th Anniversary" bandwagon and re-issue it

Back on topic... haha, that was a Grabber (or Ripper?) he threw in the air that landed on his face... ouch! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8oT9ag631Q
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I do know that the sliding pickup is pretty much a gimmick, after I played it it was pretty quick to figure out but after thinking on it the choice is pretty clear to me now, I'm going for the G&L, not to mention the sweet price tag on it (only $600!)
Though I do love Nirvana and the bass tone, I think a sig model is kind of wacky. and Idk what bass he hit his head with lol But I remember that, maybe they should include a crack in the body of that sig for kirst cranial mojo.

and yea I'd love a black eagle