Hey guys,

Sorry if there's already a thread on this, I only saw some mentions of it in relation to specific amp models, and even then only generally complaining about the absence of it

Anyway, I was hoping some of you more experienced gear connoisseurs (read: gear wh0res ) could help me out. I'm trying to find amps that have a voltage selector built in, ie can be used in america/europe/australia/wherever without using a stepdown/up transformer. I'm from Australia, and trying to buy amps with paying the literally 100% markup we're whacked with here. Sorry local businesses, but no.

I didn't even realise this was a thing until I saw that most egnater amps seem to offer it. So, if there are any, what other amps offer it?

(I personally am looking for something that can handle a little bit of metal, and has a nice deep clean channel. But I'd like to hear about any amps that can do this, just to have to have the information to recommend to friends or whatnot)

EDIT: Under $1000 would be good, but not essential. Head preferred, but again not essential (just like my last girlfriend ). Used not only ok but preferable, as most sites will happily shit their used gear worldwide, but not always the new stuff.
Last edited by Wolffgang at Oct 5, 2011,
Egnater Renegade can be switched to several voltages. Importing something that big from overseas is still going to result in a massive price due to import tax etc
Not as long as it's under $1000, and I can find both a Tweaker 88 and a Renegade for under that. Although it all depends the luck of the day, I guess, as I've had a Triple Rec sent over, which definitely should have been over the value at customs, and I wasn't charged.

I'm starting to fall in love with the renegade, actually. I can't find one in my area to actually play, sadly, but the youtube demos are making it sound beautiful. The 88 is woefully underrepresented, but ironically sounds less versatile in the demos I have found of it.
Some carvins do including the V3M
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
A renegade under 1 grand including shipping? Props to you for that I tried and gave up. i got a place called Belfield music to order one, and they only charged me 1400 for the head.
Quote by Wolffgang
Not as long as it's under $1000

You should edit your OP and put that in there.

I was going to say a Splawn would fit your needs

I like the Renegades - maybe you can find a used one.

But under $1,000 new - I'm not real sure.
I know a lot of the older Laney amps do... Perhaps some of their newer ones do as well?
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
You should edit your OP and put that in there.

I was going to say a Splawn would fit your needs

I like the Renegades - maybe you can find a used one.

But under $1,000 new - I'm not real sure.

Fair enough, but I'm not so much asking for people to find me an amp to suit my needs exactly, as just to find out which amps might offer this functionality. I'm not so much after a specific price as I am value; I can afford to save up for whatever I might need and buy it locally, but it bothers me that I'd be paying twice as much for the same product. It is a financial thing, but I guess it's also a moral thing.
Wouldn't just investing in a step transformer be better in the long run than limiting your tone to only something that has a switchable selector. I mean if its something you could use for any amp that needed it I would just invest in one if I bought an amp that only ran on 120
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by telemetal
A renegade under 1 grand including shipping? Props to you for that I tried and gave up. i got a place called Belfield music to order one, and they only charged me 1400 for the head.

There are a couple of them on musiciansfriend, and for future reference the import duties are only calculated on the value of the item, shipping doesn't factor into it. But I appreciate the props!
Quote by bluestratplayer
Wouldn't just investing in a step transformer be better in the long run than limiting your tone to only something that has a switchable selector. I mean if its something you could use for any amp that needed it I would just invest in one if I bought an amp that only ran on 120

That's actually a really good point. I guess I just hate using them. But then again getting over that would open things up a lot more. Thanks for the input.
Most (all?) British amps are switchable. They have the same voltage as we do so they always have both taps. Easier to make one tranny for all than special runs just for the USA. So Marshall, Vox, Laney, Orange.

Edit. Vox are Japanese now aren't they? (Korg) Somebody with a Vox confirm if they do or not please?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 5, 2011,
I'm still looking and can't find anything other than the Egnater and a Carvin V3M. Don't understand why any amp manufacturer wouldn't have a universal power supply...if people have to gig across continents its a pain to lug tranny's around.

Please do let me know if any one knows of ams other than the two mentioned above.
IIRC the Orange Terror series is switchable.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Please check the original post date before bumping a thread. If it's this old you're better off making a new one.