So I'm playing Ashes In The Snow by Mono and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I should position my fingers (and hands) to play the main riff.

e|-15------------------15-------------------17-19-20------------------------------------|
B|-----12-13-15----------12-13-15-17----------------15--12-13-15-----------------|
G|-12------------------12-------------------14-16-17------------------------------------|
D|------9-10-12-----------9-10-12-14-----------------12---9-10-12------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I can play it, it's just that I'm not sure I'm using the best technique for this. I've tried doing it a few different ways, but I'm still unsure. Do I press down on the strings with my index finger and pinky and mute with my middle finger so I can strum all the strings? Or do I mute the string in between with my index finger and only strum the bottom strings? Or some other way?

Thanks!
Last edited by Readinglevelup at Oct 5, 2011,
The way I do octaves:
• I use my pinky for the highest string (I apologize about my english)
• Index for lower, BUT I dont press down on the B string (Using as example your song), I put the half of my index finger.
Quote by randycrusy
The way I do octaves:
• Index for lower, BUT I dont press down on the B string (Using as example your song), I put the half of my index finger.

Me too
Quote by randycrusy
The way I do octaves:

Yeah, that's the first method I tried and second one I mentioned in my post. So you basically strum the bottom 3 strings?

I guess I might just have difficulties because I can't perfectly control my strumming hand when I strum fast and I end up playing the D or A string sometimes in this song.

Edit: Oh, and I meant riff. Sorry, English isn't my first language.
Last edited by Readinglevelup at Oct 5, 2011,
English isn't my first neither.
Practice, I had the same problem... just practice =).
Quote by randycrusy
English isn't my first neither.
Practice, I had the same problem... just practice =).

Alright, thanks man! haha