I'm a huge classic rock and blues fan, and I've been meaning to get more into country music.

I really like all of the country stuff the Stones have done like "Dead Flowers", "Sweet Virginia", "Honky Tonk Women", "Wild Horses", etc...

I also like a lot of what the Flying Burrito Brothers did, and the Byrds as well. Neil Young has done some good country songs as well.

Can you recommend me any more bands/artists like that?

So far from what I've heard, the best country songs are about drinking, drugs, depression, wicked women, and deep thoughts, ha ha ha. Anything like that would be great.

Thanks!
As far as newer country goes, Keith Urban is generally the way to go for those new to country. He's country without being country if you know what I mean...

For more newer easily accessible country, try the Zac Brown Band, Rascal Flatts, and Brad Paisley.

For old stuff, Willie Nelson is the way to go.
i dunno if this one is what ur looking for, but my favorite country artist is definatly David Lee Murphy. his songs are so awesome, not particularly focused on the guitar or another instrument (you'll hear great solos etc. anyway) but his sound is still so perfect. you should totally check it out.
Creedence Clearwater Revival, John Denver, a bunch of 1970s singer songwriters would probably be down your alley. The Eagles and Jackson Browne.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
CASH
Steve Earle
Townes Van Zandt
Waylon Jennings
Hank, Jr, III
Ryan Bingham
Lucero
Justin Townes Earle
Ben Nichols
William Elliott Whitmore
Chuck Ragan
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Namibia . Its been described as the Switzerland of Africa ,so basically your buying one and getting one free!
Quote by Toadvine
CASH
Steve Earle
Townes Van Zandt
Waylon Jennings
Hank, Jr, III
Ryan Bingham
Lucero
Justin Townes Earle
Ben Nichols
William Elliott Whitmore
Chuck Ragan

Nice list. I know and have stuff by most of those guys. I even got to hang out with Lucero once - that was fun.

TS, here's a few more for ya.

Poco
Pure Prairie League
The Dexateens
The Deadstring Brothers (Seriously, if you like that old Stones shit, you're gonna love these guys.)
Stephen Stills with Manassas
The Bottle Rockets
Cowboy (Scott Boyer and Tommy Talton)
Blue Mountain
Cary Hudson
Son Volt
Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit
The Drive-By Truckers
The Jayhawks
Hayes Carll
Todd Snider
Grayson Capps
J.J. Cale
Jackie Greene
James McMurtry
The Marshall Tucker Band
John Hiatt
John Prine
Levon Helm
Lucinda Williams
The Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Railroad Earth
New Riders of the Purple Sage
Whiskeytown
Ryan Adams
Shannon McNally
Uncle Tupelo
Wilco

Trust me here. This is the Country and Country Rock that you're looking for.

Do yourself a favor and avoid the polished pseudo Country that plagues the airwaves.

EDIT: I'd be happy to find links to some specific songs if you're interested. I'd love to steer you down this path, there's a lot of good material here.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Last edited by Jazz Funeral at Oct 8, 2011,
Darius Rucker

My Website

Sometimes I make people spurt:
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
sigged for making me spurt guiness on my laptop...damn you!

Quote by imdeth

Jimmy that was pure awesomeness. WIN!
So far from what I've heard, the best country songs are about drinking, drugs, depression, wicked women, and deep thoughts, ha ha ha. Anything like that would be great.

roofing contractors
Junior Brown: really cool, eccentric guitarist with a good sense of humor.
Emmylou Harris: for my money, still the best female country singer of the last 40 years. Check out these albums: Blue Kentucky Girl, Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town, Elite Hotel.
Doc Watson: a much revered guitarist.
Bill Monroe: the father of modern bluegrass. Check out the Bean Blossom album.
Flatt and Scruggs: you know the Beverly Hillbillies Theme? They wrote that, but their most famous song is the classic Foggy Mountain Breakdown. Banjoist Earl Scruggs is a monster.
Mark O'Connor: an amazing fiddle player. Even did a tour or two filling in with the Dixie Dregs.
The Dixie Dregs: fusion country. God, that was a fun band to see live. Steve Morse is just too much.
The Seldom Scene: a really good bluegrass act.
JD Crowe: put out some top flight bluegrass gospel records.
The Judds: Wynona Judd was a great singer at one time before her personal problems buried her career.
Lone Justice: Country influenced rock. Their first album is pretty good, thought it didn't even begin to match their crackling live shows. Their second album was an abortion thanks to intraband conflicts and too much interference from the record company. Maria McKee's solo records also sucked.
Buck White and the Down Home Folks/the Whites. Check out the Poor Folks Pleasure album. Toured with Emmylou Harris at one point, which is how I came to know about them.
The Blasters: Rockabilly influenced roots rock. Really good band.
Billy Lee Riley: more rockabilly type stuff.
Blind Blake: kinda ragtimey fingerstyle guitar work from the 20's and 30's. The guy was a genius.
Alabama: pretty engaging rock influenced country.
Lacy J. Dalton: her first two albums on Columbia were really good. Kinda throaty sassy vocals. Unfortunately, the rest of her output was pretty forgettable.
Danny Gatton: Redneck Jazz The greatest guitarist ever other than perhaps Jimi Hendrix. His nickname, "The Humbler," should tell you something. See his vids on You Tube. Not to be missed.
Mary McCaslin: really underrated countryish singer.